Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Nail Gun?

Question Nail Gun?

I just bought my first home and am very eager to do my own remodeling. Unfortunately, I have very little experiance in this field. My first goal to install base and crown moldings as this appears not to complicated. I am looking to purchase my own equipment. But since all my money went into the purchase of my home, I'm on a very tight budget. I found a deal on a compound miter saw (under $100) and now am looking for an electric nail gun as I don't want to have to purchase an air compressor or cells. What type of electric nail gun would you recommend for someone on a budget for this type of work? Can I use any type of nail gun with finish nails? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

The budget end electric nail guns are not worth buying. You won't get the performance you need and it will end up in a cupboard somewhere. Try a small compressor and a nail gun.

You'll find you can get a package with lots of brad nails at a good price. (Well, you can here anyway so i don't see why you can't in the U.S.) These will do for finishing jobs, architraves, fencing etc but don't fire large enough gauge nails for framing.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

If you are on a budget and you are not using a nail gun for professional use, I would not even bother getting one. Stick to a hammer and good ole manual power.

It might take you a few more minutes to finish the job, but unless you are a professional builder or you have a massive amount of finishing nailing to do, I don't think the benefits outweigh the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmc
    If you are on a budget and you are not using a nail gun for professional use, I would not even bother getting one. Stick to a hammer and good ole manual power.

It might take you a few more minutes to finish the job, but unless you are a professional builder or you have a massive amount of finishing nailing to do, I don't think the benefits outweigh the cost.
    With respect John, I wouldn't be without mine. I've just put in new skirting boards and window & door architraves. Use a hammer on that ? No way. The skirtings were colonial moulded and pre-painted so that I could get a beautiful finish and not get paint on the floor boards. It's so easy with the brad nailer to whack them up and not shake the walls apart with a hammer or risk marking the finish. The small holes from the brads fill up very easily.

I also use it to hold things in place prior to screwing them like shelving in the garage for example or even on finer work. Not to mention using the compressor to inflate the wife's car tyres on a regular basis
    . No, there's no way I could do without it.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

I've seen GMC compressors going for as low as $60, Big W have a bradder for about $45, all you need then is a bit of hose and some fittings, and don't forget the air tool oil.
    Like Gumby said, I wouldn't be without mine for quids, for small skirting and quad they are a damned sight easier to use than a hammer.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmc
    Stick to a hammer and good ole manual power.

That must be the joke of the day. I have been using my guns ( framing, finishing, brad and stapling ) for years and if you are going to do any renovating you really can't do without them.

BTW can't comment on the cheapies as mine are trade quality bought before the cheapies became available. Even with the amount I spent on them I still think they are the best tools I ever bought.

Peter.

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for the advice. It sounds like the majority of you recommend getting an air nail gun instead of an electric one or even just using a hammer.

Can any nail gun be used to place "finish nails" or do I have to purchase one specifically for "finish nails"?

The cheap ones fire 16 gauge brads which can be various lengths but the longest is usually 50mm (or about 2 inches.) They are very fine brads and definitely finishing quality. The higher up you go, the bigger the gauge and the more expensive the gun. As stated, the small ones are fine for most home jobs.

Hi,
    now that all of you are discussing the use of brad nailers - the following question.
    I have a 18 guage brad nailer (Porter Cable) and use it for cabinet construction to hold plywood/particle board in place while driving in screws.
    The question - is this nailer suitable for attaching skirting boards? - remember I live in Perth where all the walls are brick.
    Regards
    Les

Quote Originally Posted by lesmeyer
    Hi,
    now that all of you are discussing the use of brad nailers - the following question.
    I have a 18 guage brad nailer (Porter Cable) and use it for cabinet construction to hold plywood/particle board in place while driving in screws.
    The question - is this nailer suitable for attaching skirting boards? - remember I live in Perth where all the walls are brick.
    Regards
    Les
    I personally would stick to 15 guage nails, better known as DA brads. Mind you I don't think I'd be using nails on a brick wall, unless they were liquid nails.

Does GMC have enough guts to run a nailer? I have a 2hp about a year old now, and that thing has trouble inflating a car tyre. Maybe a little tired? I used it to paint about 10 mile of fence.

J!
    J!

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked, and its price is competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.

A GMC compressor should be able to keep up with a small nail gun. I'm surprised you able to paint your fence with it though. The poor thing must have nearly died.