Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Shelving v cupboards

Man land needs some storage space. I have 1/2 doz. large Coles type strip shelves. However they seem to gather a LOT of dust. So I am considering making (in a fore mentioned manland) some cupboards that are 2.4m high to house things like my electric hand tool, bicycle parts, light globes and such.

Anyone have an opinion on shelving v cupboard thing? Any advice from the experienced is appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I_wanna_Shed is offline Now I've got a 10x14m shed! I need a new name...

I definitely prefer cupboards/drawers for tools and other bits 'n bobs storage - if only to help keep the majority of dust out.

I like timber boards and blanks to be on shelves for quickly being able to see what I have and where it is.

Quote Originally Posted by I_wanna_Shed View Post
    I definitely prefer cupboards/drawers for tools and other bits 'n bobs storage - if only to help keep the majority of dust out.

I like timber boards and blanks to be on shelves for quickly being able to see what I have and where it is.
    Did you make your own draws and cupboards or recycles ones?

Cupboards for tools, shelves and racks for materials.

I_wanna_Shed is offline Now I've got a 10x14m shed! I need a new name...

Quote Originally Posted by Onezero View Post
    Did you make your own draws and cupboards or recycles ones?
    I've picked a few large steel cabinets at some different times, which I use.

I originally used shelving and now one cupboard.

As I started with the shelving I also incorporated plastic tubs to keep things from getting dusty. I labelled the tubs on what is inside with masking tape thus allowing me to know exactly what is where.

I thinking of going to wire shelves. dust gets in everywhere and at least a half inch square chook wire shelf lets it all drop to the bottom and its stiff enough to use as a shelf for bigger items.

I have a lot of open shelves but now looking at cupboards as my shelves are all fully coated in dust. I will have some shelves with the next fit out but will have the majority of draws & cupboards
    regards Michael
    enjoy life we are only here a short time not a long time

Quote Originally Posted by _fly_ View Post
    I thinking of going to wire shelves. dust gets in everywhere and at least a half inch square chook wire shelf lets it all drop to the bottom and its stiff enough to use as a shelf for bigger items.
    Using wire shelves doesn't stop the dust getting on the stuff on the shelves. This is where a high capacity DC helps grab dust at source and, unlike most woodworkers I know, leaving the DC running for some time after the last dust making activity to clear out the escaped dust helps reduce dust on shelves and tools.

BTW did you see these?

For me it is a mix
    Old kitchen draws under the drill for all drill and mill related bits and pieces, keep the chips out but still handy
    A small shelf about 200 mm high at the back of wall benches help keep some of your stuff off the work surface
    Shelving under a bench keep pretty clean, good for stock materials stuff you do not need to often. Set it back a little so there is room for knees and feet.
    I inherited a small room in my shed witch I line with shelving and I use for all hand tool and small supplies in contains just like Christos. I bought a box of take away contained and there last a long time holding stuff when sitting on a shelf

My $0.02 worth

Russell
    vapourforge.com

Cupboards are far less dusty, they also help insulate the walls. I prefer above bench cupboards and below bench height drawers. You will still need some shelving for long stuff.