Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: hinges

Default hinges

dont know if i can explain this right but here gose

ok have door frames/openings approx 135mm thick/depth/width lined with 10mm thick pine dress timber as original doorways was just wall studs with doors screwed to them so have covered them over with the thin pine dose that make sense ?? to dress them up

now i want to hang the doors in the middle of the frame but still have the doors swing into the rms and lay flat against the wall if i use normal door hinges i dont think they will swing right back because of the width of the door frames ( doors will stick out into rms at right angles )what sort of hinges can i use for this

thought of (what i have been told) are called parilment hinges ( used on french doors etc ) but some one has said that they will not swing open right as on french doors they have two small doors in opening not one large one as i have

have been told that i need semi concealed hinges but do they make them for doors only seen them on cabinets cupboards etc

anyway hope someone can offer some ideas ( and understand what i am talking about lol )

thks again
    david

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

You dont hang doors in the middle of the frame/jamb, they must sit flush with the outside of the frame in the room that the door open/swings into.
    You would need a large clearance gap on the latch edge if the door was hanged in the middle of the jamb, the jamb would look funny as the door stop beading would be on one side and not in the middle... and like you say at the fully open position the door will be at a 90* angle, a absolute pain when shifting furniture
    Concealed hinges wont make any differance.

I don't see why parliament hinges wouldn't work. They are not only used for the old style French doors - also used on modern, much wider/bigger patio doors so I guess there are heavy duty versions to take extra weight/pull. They are also used on window shutters.

Keep in mind that when the door is opened flat against the wall, there is quite a bit of hinge on view (you will also see the folded hinge when the door is closed). You can probably find them in polished brass which would look good.

Do a Google for "parliament hinge" - but watch the spelling.

Parliament (sometimes called extended butt hinges in the catalogues) will certainly work.

Remember though, that a normal door is hung with the lock stile pretty much a tangent to the arc of the door swing. With parliament hinges the swing is an arc circumscribed (thanks Ralph) between the pin of the hinge and the lock stile.

What this means in short, is that you need a bigger clearance, or a step in the jamb to allow the door to swing out. Depending on how deep the hinges are this may not be a big issue.

Draw the whole shooting match full size on the floor and you'll see what I mean.

Cheers,

P

I have what you need in my house but as the others say, you wouldn't normally mount the door in the middle of the frame, but against the edge of the room that the door opens into.

Any extended butt hinge or projected hinge will do the job. A parliament hinge is just an example of an extended butt hinge - a parliament hinge just has a smaller extended bit to look less obtrusive and sometimes may have a ball pin to make it more of a feature.

Of course, there is no real practical reason why you can't mount the door in the middle of the jamb, it's just that it will look odd and you would need a very large hinge.
    They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. They're not laughing now.
    Bob Monkhouse

Hi

Of course you can hang the doors in the middle of the frame.

In your particular instance I can understand that the door(s) would not look quite as good if they were hung on one "edge" of the frame.

As others have said, you can use parliament hinges for this. Note though (has been mentioned by others) that the hinge is quite prominent. You could disguise "some" of this prominance by painting the hinges the same colour of the door frame (if the door frame is painted ).

You do not necessarily have to have a larger gap, you can have a step or possibly a small matching bevel on each of the doors. This will minimise the gap to that of a normal door, but of course they have to be opened "the correct way".

Another, perhaps more complicated way would be to use a thin batten down the (frame side) door edge. this batten would be as wide as half the thickness of the door frame + half the thickness of the door. This batten would then be mounted to the frame as though it was the normal door mounted on the EDGE of the FRAME.

Mounting the door like this, the batten would function like a parliament hinge but would be mounted with normal butt hinges (or hinges of your choice).

Email me if you don't understand what I mean.

The "line art" below may show you what I mean, it needs to be viewed in a fixed width font.

Proportional font (in this message forum) view

___ _____
    | _ _______ _______ _ |
    | | |______//_______| ||
    ___||_| |_||_____

(HMMM? after view this message in the forum I can see this "line art" doesn't work )

Fixed width font version below
    ___ _____
    | _ _______ _______ _ |
    || |______//_______| ||
    ___||_| | ||_____
    Kind Regards

Peter

Hi Again

As an alternative approach would be to make (or MAYBE BUY?) some knife hinges. These are normally used on kitchen cupboards.

Try here http://www.nesales.com/tools/hinges.htm for potential alternatives. The knife hinge would have to be scaled up to suit the size/weight of your door.

If you are mechanically inclined, you could make up four "L" shaped pieces of steel 4mm-6mm thick at attach these to the top and bottom of your doors and arrange a pin attached to the wall/door frame on which these "L" pieces can pivot. Such a design would be effecive as a hinge and would also be very discrete.

This may be too intensive a solution for what you may think is a simple job.

HTH
    Kind Regards

Peter

Slightly off topic ... wonder why they are called "parliament" hinges. I've seen these hinges in action and they do the job very effectively.