Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mitsubishi Lathe

I may soon be in a position to purchase a Mitsubishi Heavy Industries combination lathe/mill/shaper. I saw it from a distance some years ago and it was not a huge lump of a thing - actually workshop size. Has anybody heard of such a beast?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Might be similar to this one. Page Title

There's a pommy one as well but I can't think of the name at the moment, sheesh!. It's on Tony's site somewhere.

I recon one like them would be cool to own.

Cheers.

If I'm not right, then I'm wrong, I'll just go bend some more bananas.

Adcock and Shipley is the pommy one Page Title

Cheers

One more thing, If you are interested in it I'd suggest just quietly buying it as soon as you can as they're not that available as far as I'm aware.

Cheers.

All The Best steran50 Stewart

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at once.

Default Dainichi Combo Machine

Here is jpeg of lathe - cost $2000. I thought was Mitsubishi Heavy Industries but is a Dainichi. I am having it freighted from Gladstone to Canberra (but don't know cost yet). Heavens knows how I will get it out to my farm and into shed. I think too heavy for my old backhoe.

David

Must have come off a boat in Gladstone to get there....

Nice find...
    Light red, the colour of choice for the discerning man.

You lucky son of a gun I am exited to see some photos when It arrives
    BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

Andre

Fantastic yarrD. Great to see a rarity like that being saved from the torch.

Phil

Dave J Guest

Nice one, I have seen a few threads on these in the last few years, but there are only a few around that are on the internet.

Dave

Bargin. $1100 for the lathe and $300 each for a shaper, vert mill and hoz mill.
    Think of the shed space you'll save.

Stuart

Tall and top heavy by the looks. I have my plan already worked out when I find that lathe sitting in a farmers shed when his grieving widow simply wants it to go to a good home LOL. I helped move a 3/4 tonne lathe using wooden hardwood beams bolted underneath to provide a surface for pipe rollers to roll on. We had the advantage of ramps.

If it could be carried on a trailer for minimal height make ramps with lots of support underneath and say 1 inch pipe for rollers and a winch for control. Or build a strong flat base elevated on blocks to trailer height and then use a jack to slowly lower to ground after rolling machine on. Near the ground a short crowbar can be used. Thats all we used back then. Turning corners once on the ground is easy too. Angle the front roller and the machine will follow the direction of roll of this roller.

I was just an ignorant supplier of muscle (limited) helping a 75 yr old engineer who my wife cleaned house for. He was short, wiry and had oxy bottles for breathing when needed. I was amazed at the ease in which we first moved the lathe from a tiny back room with pine flooring (yes it rocked) out into the passage, 90 deg bend with just enough room, down a ramp and straight ahead into the carport turned shed with new concrete floor.

The lathe had hardwood beams under it for extra support while in the back room. These were then removed but replaced for next move back inside on the same ramp, right up the passage into the living room and out the french doors onto a long ramp up into a removal truck for delivery to his new retirement location in Adelaide. He was from Queensland and had a long association with a model engineers magazine. He had an amazing mind. I guess he is long gone. Wif Manning was his name. He used to sell stuff including wood lathes under the ManCo name. I have Plans for some of his stuff including the lathe which I helped to update with an early Cad program. Funny how stuff comes back to you like that.

Dean

Quote Originally Posted by YarrD View Post
    Here is jpeg of lathe - cost $2000. I thought was Mitsubishi Heavy Industries but is a Dainichi. I am having it freighted from Gladstone to Canberra (but don't know cost yet). Heavens knows how I will get it out to my farm and into shed. I think too heavy for my old backhoe.

David
    That is such a bizarre gadget - seems like it should be a bargain at that price too! Look forward to seeing more photos of this one!

Nice, looks like a home shop dream machine, solid and compact.
    Try to keep that base that it is bolted to even from a transport perspective it make handling a breeze with a forklift. A tilt tray would be ideal to unload on that base then skull drag it with the backhoe to it's location.

Voltage? ships often use 208V 3 phase it may even be 200V anyway both easy voltages for a VFD or look around for one of those 415/200V transformers that so often come with Japanese machines.

Ueee is offline Blacksmith, Cabinetmaker, Machinist, Messmaker

Hi Dave,
    Good score
    If you need a hand I'd be more than happy to come and look at, I mean help you with it. I have a 2 ton engine crane and 2.5 ton pallet jack. Otherwise Rick brault is the guy I use to transport stuff. He may not be the cheapest but he is very careful and knows how to move machines.

Ewan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast