Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Fingerboards - what woods can be used?

Hi guys, as somone who's looking at having a go at putting together a guitar or two (electric 6-string and/or bass) when my new garage/workshop is finished, I was wondering what the possibilities might be for timbers to be used for fingerboards, particularly Aussie woods that aren't endangered or scarce. You know, just what will do the job.

I know there's been a thread here about Aussie tone woods, but what about fingerboards - it all seems to be maple, rosewood and ebony. Surely there's more to the range of choices than that?

I guess if I can start collecting the stuff when it becomes available, by the time I've got a work space arranged I won't have to race out and buy it for top dollar prices.

Thanks in advance, O Knowlegeable Ones.
    Measure thrice, cut twice.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Never really looked into Aussie woods for fingerboards. I mainly use rosewood,ebony or bloodwood.
    Someone should be able to help out with some suggestions though. Bob from Tasmanian Tonewoods would have plenty of nice options for u

Try tas tonewoods first, everyone speaks highly of them.

If you need a backup plan try ALS: Guitar Parts - Australian Luthiers Supplies

Blackwood (nice tanny brown colour) makes a pretty nice f/board amongst other things and so does Gidgee (darker chocolate in colour) and Jarrah (nice reds) are just a few of our great Aussie hardwoods that all starting to get more use
    K- Man.

Steve

Part of the choice has to depend on simple and outright durability to grooving. Too soft and you'll be wanting to replace the finger board long before you refret. This is where the Janka hardness test might provide good direction.

Step into my time machine, back 40 years to the Botanic Hotel, just outside the Botanic Gardens/Melbourne. The road was "cobblestones," which to my amazement were vertical blocks of a species of Eucalyptus which was referred to as Iron Gum. Possibly 20x30x80cm on end, some of which had been paved over. Anyway, there was some road work going on and they had to dig the whole thing up.

I would not question the durability.

Default Fretboards -fingerboards

What sort of look do you require.?
    List of suitable Australian timbers. Jarrah -cooktown ironwood - wandoo -mulga.
    yellow gum eucalyptus- old dense paddock blackwood - she oak.
    And I am sure there is other dense Australian timbers that will work.
    Cheers Bob

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Quote Originally Posted by woodturner777 View Post
    List of suitable Australian timbers. Jarrah -cooktown ironwood - wandoo -mulga.
    yellow gum eucalyptus- old dense paddock blackwood - she oak.
    And I am sure there is other dense Australian timbers that will work.
    Cheers Bob
    Speaking from a visual point of view only, a She-Oak fingerboard would look sensational! Perhaps with a darker timber for the body and some She-Oak highlights in that (say the scratch plate).

Of course you might be able to go for Bull-Oak, the reigning world champ of hardness at 22.5 Janka (or thereabouts).
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post
    Speaking from a visual point of view only, a She-Oak fingerboard would look sensational! Perhaps with a darker timber for the body and some She-Oak highlights in that (say the scratch plate).

Of course you might be able to go for Bull-Oak, the reigning world champ of hardness at 22.5 Janka (or thereabouts).
    A she oak is being used on my electric guitar build with really dark blackwood body and I have to say the she oak looks magical.

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

A she oak is being used on my electric guitar build with really dark blackwood body and I have to say the she oak looks magical.
    Got a piccie? I'd love to see it. Being a busy looking timber SE lends itself to small surface area uses (like a fingerboard).
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

I reckon all wood looks good, Bob! If I could use offcuts from my local flooring bloke or old fence palings that would be fine. I'm just interested in what works, is available and, preferably, cheap.

Thanks for your great suggestions, Bob and everyone else. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post
    Got a piccie? I'd love to see it. Being a busy looking timber SE lends itself to small surface area uses (like a fingerboard).
    Will send photo tomorrow, if I get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Koala-Man View Post
    I reckon all wood looks good, Bob! If I could use offcuts from my local flooring bloke or old fence palings that would be fine. I'm just interested in what works, is available and, preferably, cheap.

Thanks for your great suggestions, Bob and everyone else. Much appreciated.
    Offcuts from your local flooring bloke old fence pailings will not work unless you know what species it is.
    Fretboards- fingerboards what ever we wish to call them range in price from $15.00. up to about $40.00 for large size. to me that is cheap. what sort of guitar are you building.?
    regards Bob

what sort of guitar are you building.?
    regards Bob
    Dunno yet, Bob, I'm months away from be able to start. Just planning ahead and thinking out loud and trying to cast my ideas net as wide as possible. I'm probably going to do an electric bass (my favourite Beatle was Paul).

But don't worry, I'm not going to use any old unidentified rubbish - just really saying I don't want to be tied down to traditional choices if I don't need to be.

As G.K. Chesterton said: "Tradition is the decocracy of the dead."

I have used Ebony, Gidgee, NSW Ironwood and Western Myall. All work well, and there are other very hard and dense woods that will work, it is mostly a matter of matching the colours, but many customers want black hence the Ebony. Personally I like Gidgee. Was given a 100yo Gidgee fence post that I made into fingerboards. Man was that wood HARD! Those fingerboards will never wear out. Ebony does wear out eventually.

Peter

Fretboards- fingerboards what ever we wish to call them range in price from $15.00. up to about $40.00 for large size. to me that is cheap.
    regards Bob
    Maybe if you had an assortment precut on your website you'd get a lot more hits on them.

Eg: body blanks and drop tops are bigger money and harder to sell, wheres if you had fingerboards blanks for sale on the site it is a cheaper and easier sale to the guys who are looking for something.

I checked your site when I first saw this post and there wasnt even a drop down menu for fingerboards and what is available.

I know that people can email if they really wanted - but if most people are like me, if they dont see it quickly, they'll go somewhere where they will see it quickly. So you won't get that email.

Just putting it out there. I wish I could afford to buy lots of your stock!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast