Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Melbourne source of WRC strips for Kayak?

G'day to the strip plank kayak and canoe builders,

Got the plans yesterday for a 17' Endeavour kayak, now looking for Western Red Cedar stips. I've bought them from Cedar Sales in Qld previously but would prefer to buy local in Melbourne this time. Will also be mixing in some Paulowina strips. I'm looking for 18 foot strips 3/4" x 1/4", happy to cut my own from larger stock if I can find clear lengths of WRC.

Before I start ringing around, maybe someone has recently found a suitable WRC supplier and can point me in their direction.

Cheers David

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default The WRC.

Hi David,
    Mate, you be very careful with The WRC, as a few years ago it put a good friend of mine in Hospital for just over 3 weeks.
    On the 3rd. day it was a struggle for them, to keep him alive.
    He was sanding at the time without a Mask.
    He is quite OK now.
    Regards,
    issatree.
    Have Lathe, Wood Travel.

WRC is a nasty piece of work, any splinters will fester, and the dust will make you sick as has been noted.

treat it with great respect, if you value your health.

I inquired at Cedar Sales a few years ago, to be told they no longer sell WRC .

Do not know who sells it down south

No sure if this helps but there is always the option of using WRC lining boards. Tillings import ship lap cedar lining boards.

Now whether they come in 6 mtr lengths is another matter. I have some 1.8 second hand ones here that I removed from my bathroom if you would like them.

Peter

Default WRC strips tor Kayak

Boatasauras

Try a local manufacturer of venetian blinds that uses WRC. They should have ready made strips. On the point of Paulownia it is two thirds the weight of WRC and just as strong. It is easier to work with and the dust is not poisonous. You won't get Paulownia in 6 metre lengths though.

Whitewood

www.alewistimber.com.au/ might be able to help (Ormond)
    TM

Default Paulownia in Melbourne

Port Phillip Plantation Shutters

Google is your friend

Thanks to all those who replied especially Piquet for the offer of cedar lining boards. I started the ring around of the local timber yards and the first place I went to Matthews in Nunawading had some 150 x 50 x 6 metre lengths of clear WRC in a rack out the back. Surprisingly they had a good range of other 'exotic' timbers suitable for wooden boaties. I will check a few other places like Lewis, AFT, Tillings etc before I buy.
    Cheers David

I can't recommend Mathew's Timber highly enough. Ask for Ian, and tell him you're building a boat. He's supplied me all the timber for my hartley TS16, including some boutique-ish timbers, and has cut me a discount for every single stick I've bought. I think that *gasp*, they actually like supporting hobbyist woodworkers, unlike many timberyards whose only goals are the construction industry.

Well after trying a few places (nah mate can't get 6m lenghts, might take a week to get it in, nah can't eyeball it) I ended up back at Mathews Timber, they open up a new pack of WRC and hand picked some clear 6m pieces with a consistant colour. Agree with Asrainox, very 'hobbyist' friendly and easy to deal with.
    Cheers David

Awesome to hear you had the same experience!

I particularly like that they sell to hobbyists at trade prices also, rather than whacking on a huge premium for the fact we don't buy tonnes at a time, and are really happy to help you pick the right piece. They work a lot with instrument-makers too, so they're used to someone spending 2 hours picking the right piece of maple from a cube.

AAAAAAAAND now you'll just have to make a thread on your build!

Quote Originally Posted by Boatasaurus View Post
    Well after trying a few places (nah mate can't get 6m lenghts, might take a week to get it in, nah can't eyeball it) I ended up back at Mathews Timber, they open up a new pack of WRC and hand picked some clear 6m pieces with a consistant colour. Agree with Asrainox, very 'hobbyist' friendly and easy to deal with.
    Cheers David
    It appears you have everything sorted now.

If I had seen your post earlier, I would have pointed out that you don't need 6 metre strips. I have built eight strip built kayaks between 4.5 metres and 6.4 metres long and have very rarely used full length strips. Most of my kayaks have been built with strips around 2.4 to 3 metres. One 5 metre kayak was built almost exclusively from 1.8 metre strips.

I find scarfing strips as I attach them to the forms less of a problem and less time consuming that trying to handle full length strips. That is especially true when it gets to the stage where they need to be tapered at both ends.