Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Looks like a good result Pete.

Out of interest, how do those thingies on the corners work that seem to connect your shelves to the uprights? Like the four in this subset of your one pic...

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by WandrinAndy View Post
    Looks like a good result Pete.

Out of interest, how do those thingies on the corners work that seem to connect your shelves to the uprights? Like the four in this subset of your one pic...
    Hi Andy,
    I make up a set of shelves with four posts with long and short rails, I then glue the block thingies (I should put a nail in them as well!) onto the uprights of each corner post at the same height as the shelves, I then make up loose shelves that can sit on these blocks, then, depending on how I am arranging the sets of shelves I can get a bit of versatility and extra shelf storage for not much effort, makes it easy to change/move/reorganize as well, I also make draw sets that slot into the selves as you see in the pics
    Hope that explains it!!

Pete

Default more shelves draws

More organizing in the man cave, basically more shelves/draws the same as before to house the gear in the existing steel shelves that I wanted to move out, I made up two sets of draws, one with some Crows Ash on the fronts and one set with some Black Heart Sassafras, I also made up a heap of boxes to store gear in, some with Black Wattle veneer fronts and BH Sass, I was trying to use up short odd pieces for sides and ends...

The draw front veneer slices came from a small piece of Sass and a branch piece of CA, which I had decided to toss but then gave it another chance, I think it was worth it , with my new Adria saws in my hot little hand (from the group buy) I decided to do some through dovetails, they do look like finger joints especially in the Sass draws, I had to space them wider so as to not show any gap from the groove for the draw slides, I changed to this design to give me a slightly deeper draw and it suited the veneer

veneer pieces.JPGshelves.JPGshelves1.JPGcloseup Crows Ash.JPGcloseup BH Sassafrass.JPGdovetails.JPG

Pete

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Very nice Pete. What do the drawers run on? I've got two more units to make soon, and using drawer runners from McJing looks like the go, but $75 per unit (5 drawers in each unit). The first two that I made are timber runners which are cheap, but time consuming. The main problem with timber runners is that they take about 40-50mm off the drawer width and there's no "stop" to save the drawer coming right out when accessing tools at the back.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

Hi Brett,
    The draws run on a strip of Crows Ash which is naturally oily plus hard wearing, when plentiful it was used a lot for dance hall floors, so I read somewhere, the draw sides are some sort of reclaimed hardwood that I wanted to use up, so hopefully they will see me out.

When you posted your pics I did wonder about your draw slides and I can see how you lose on the width, I don't lose any width as the runner fits into the groove in the draw side, the groove I cut out on the TS, I set the fence to do a cut from both top and btm edges of the draw side, this centrally locates the groove and if I have set the fence to the correct dimension gives me a groove of correct width, from memory I made the groove depth a bit less than half the thickness, do all sides like this then further cuts to remove the waste, then machine up the runners to suit for a slip fit, for me it seemed to be time effective

I made my draws with 100mm or so longer sides than the useable draw depth, this means the draw side is still in the housing when the back of the draw emerges, alternative draw stop designs, depending on the design of the housing, flip stops that hang down that prevent the draw from falling out, for me to put stops on the BH Sass draws I'd have to make up some spring loaded latches within the draw groove.

I'll take a few pics tomorrow which will show it a bit more.

Pete

Cool - look forward to it.

Ah well you see, I had thought of your ploy for the longer runners, and it would certainly work well, but I can never get past being a usable space guts. This also prevents me from putting a little spinning catch on the back of the drawer to stop it coming out - there's no frame to catch on either - height depth is the biggest space shortage. I want more drawers! MORE DRAWERS! GIMME GIMME! I wish this was because I had tons of tools, but it comes with a 5x3 barn

Doesn't leave me with any option but metal sliders, or continue to be pretty careful, as near as I can tell.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY

Sounds like you have a few solutions sussed, pics anyway
    flip down drawer stop.JPGlonger draw sides.JPGrunners.JPG

Would a chain or string tied to back of draw work?

Pete

Thanks Pete. Yes, I'll have a think about a chain/string.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY

Thumbs up

A great lesson for all of us Pete!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12