Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Small Guitar for a Child

hi All,

I am looking for plans/design for a small Guitar for my 5yr old Grand daughter.
    All I have been able to find are the Cigar box designs, which I do not feel are suitable,
    would anyone here have plans , that would suit or links to plans etc????

Jeff

vk4

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

To be honest, I would not build a guitar for a 5 year old. It is not a predictable thing whether they will even play the thing, regeardless of how enthusiastic they seem beforehand. They will also grow out of whatever you make quickly. In the meantime, you will have invested expensive timber and a lot of time into making it. A junior sized guitar is pretty cheap to buy. IMHO none I have heard sound any good either, mostly because you are of neccessity dealing with a small body and short scale length. If you do want to go ahead and make one, I can measure the major dimensions of my sons, and you could use that as a basis to draft something up.
    The other day I described to my daughter how to find something in the garage by saying "It's right near my big saw". A few minutes later she came back to ask: "Do you mean the black one, the green one, or the blue one?".

Peter,

Thanks for the fast reply,

My grand daughter is Autistic, and loves music, , my daughter gave her a child's Ukelele, which she loves , unfortunately after much use it is dying, and I would like to make her something similar , it would not have to have fantastic tone at this stage, just some thing she can play , which will have a reasonable sound .

I would not be building from exotic timbers , but I have access to rosewood and such timbers .

Jeff
    vk4

Jeff, I'm certainly no expert but I agree with Peter. You would be better served going to the local music store and buying a new 1/4 or 1/2 size guitar (or a new uke) and a lot cheaper in the long run I'm sure.

If you are adament that you want to build something then there are plenty of uke plans on the net. If her heart is set on a guitar built by Pop then you could always have a go at scaling down a full size plan but without consideration to plate thickness, bracing, etc. I imagine that it would sound pretty ordinary.

Os

hanks, I will look at the idea.

Jeff
    vk4

OK, here are some measurements from my son's junior guitar to give you an idea of what to aim for.

Nut to bridge - 519mm on both e strings (ie bridge isn't compensated but maybe is would be better)
    center of saddle to centre of zero fret - 512mm
    String spacing at nut - 34mm
    string spacing at saddle - 49mm
    Body length - 356mm (it joins at the 14th fret)
    Body width at widest point - 260mm
    Body width at waist - 166mm
    body width at upper bout - 188mm
    Body depth - uniform 74mm
    headstock - 140mm long from back of nut and 70mm wide at widest point. Tuning machines are 35 - 40mm apart.

The bridge is shaped like a traditional steel string, but the strings are not pinned, but instead pass through a support at the back of the bridge like on a classical. There are 2 pearl dots on the bridge that I suspect hide screws or small bolts to help hold the bridge on, because I reckon a standard glue joint wouldn't hold long against the pressure of unpinned strings.

This guitar is strung with standard light or extra light steel strings

Happy to take other measurements if you need them.

Was going to post a photo or two as well but the camera is broken.
    The other day I described to my daughter how to find something in the garage by saying "It's right near my big saw". A few minutes later she came back to ask: "Do you mean the black one, the green one, or the blue one?".

Peter,

Many Thanks.

Jeff

Google "Terz Guitar" or "Tenor guitar" plans and you may find something, these are the smallest of the guitar family as a standard. Also you may try "Baritone Ukulele" as that is the largest Uke. Hana Lima do fairly cheap plans for the Uke mail order.

Jim

What about a parlour guitar? plenty of plans around like this one:
    ACOUSTIC GUITAR - Elderly Instruments

Might be worth considering a kit too. I'm not sure about small guitars but there are some reasonably priced uke kits around. I think Stewmac has tenor kits for around the $200 mark

I just took a lead from Peter above and searched around and found my son's old primary school Valencia 1/2 size classical (I should have known, SWMBO throws nothing out). It has a 3 ply top and bottom plate with 2mm bending ply sides. Bracing is very simple (probably due to the 3 ply not needing much). Looks like it uses just spruce transverse bracing with a couple of 3 ply scraps for soundhole bracing and bridge plate. Strips of bending ply for kerfing and side bracing. Neck to headstock is a scarf joint and has a Spanish heel and standard Torres headstock. Stock standard Tuners and bridge are used. Binding and purfling is painted on and the rosette is a transfer. Looks to me like the fingerboard is ply too. Not a whole lot in it but if you want I could maybe measure it and draw something up that may form a starting point with scope for lots of improvement and personalisation.

Os

OS,

It would be great if that is possible, I am new to instruments and don't play anything my self, but I am a competent boat builder, and wood turner(hobbyist ).

Jeff
    vk4

PS> added a pic of the latest build.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice one Jeff,

I'm a beginner at everything! Made a couple of guitars, a bit of furniture and just started turning. Basically love being out in the shop!!

I'll make a start at some measurements and see how we go.

Os

Jeff,

Knocked up a first pass drawing this arvo. I hope you have access to a drawing package! I worked in TurboCAD and have included the source file as well as exported a DXF. Both are in the ZIP. If you can't use the drawing files, let me know and I'll see what I can do about dimensioning it and getting it into another format. If you can load it, have a look and see if there's anything that I can add to make it clearer or anything that I missed.

Os

Osbojo,

I don't have any CAD programs , or a program to open your drawings.

could you convert to a different format ??

Many Thanks

jeff
    vk4

I'll start working on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast