Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Replacing shed/building new in Brisbane

Hi All,

Just seeking some advice on where I should go next on replacing our old shed.

We had an old asbestos-laced 4.8mx5.5m shed in our back yard. The asbestos is now gone thanks to an asbestos certified remover friend and I am taking down the rest of it in the coming days.

We wish to replace it with a 6mx6m steel shed (already purchased - plans are with us) but I don't know what else I have to do from here.

We are hoping to use most of the existing slab - still in fairly good nick although it has 2 levels so the lower of the 2 will be covered with further 60mm of concrete on top to bring it up to height (the slab should definitely be deeper than 100mm then) plus an extra 0.5 and 1.2m on one side. The shed will still be >1m from the boundary.

I have many questions:
    Do I have to get a building surveyor now?

We are not in any special area (DCP) and not small lot so do I need to do a special council application? (does the surveyor help with this?)
    Because I am replacing an existing structure albeit slightly smaller does this change things?

Do I need to get it certified?

How much should I expect to pay for what has to be done and does anyone have recommendations for people in Brisbane?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

First stop is nyour local Council. Check with them whether the proposed shed is an exempt or complying develoipment. This will determine whether you need to submit a DA and BA.

If exempt, then look in the yellow pages for "sheds". There will be plenty to choose from, assemble the info, and wade through it to sought out what suits you.

There are several things to be considered, is electrical connection available, or still there from previous shed? Height of walls? (2.7m is better than 2.4 it gives you room for "mezzanine" type storage) If you use the existing slab is it sound? Maybe it is, but as it appears from your post that the previous shed was old, then th slab may have seen better days. Remember that your new steelz shedx will be a lot heavier than your fibro shed, and the concrete slab will have to be able to be drilled and hold the support bolts for the shed uprights.

Council first.

Thanks for the reply.

I checked with council first and they were useless - basically telling me to "check with someone who knows".

As mentioned above - shed is already purchased.
    Concrete slab will be sound enough - 3 of the 4 posts will be put into new concrete which I will make sure is good enough to support the shed. Also there is no way that a steel shed would be heavier than an asbestos, terracotta tile and hardwood shed. That thing was made to last and the tiles alone would weigh about 3 steel sheds I would think!

Structurally it should be quite sound, I just have to figure out how to wade through the red tape now
    Since council was no help I thought I would try here.

I can only speak for NSW, and in particular where I live. A shed of the size you have, 36 sq m would not require a DA or BA as it generally is an exempt development.

If it was me in your situation, I would just erect the shed as it is replacing one that already existed, and is at least as structurally sound as the one that has been removed.

If the Council's attitude is as you have described, then I would question myself as to why they would bother whether you erected it or not?

My tuppence worth.

Bear in mind that if it is a c section shed it will probably require thickening where the load bearing columns are located to cope with the point loads.

Weight of shed is not really an issue, the major forces on sheds are uplift forces so being lighter not really an advantage.

Hi,

When I approached the council, I to had little help. The best I could get was 'any thing bigger than 10m2 and 2m high needed approval.' How do I get info on that? "the shed builder will know that" ???

I did find this tonight and do not remember finding it before. Which council are you under?

Quote Originally Posted by jamarpa View Post
    Hi,

When I approached the council, I to had little help. The best I could get was 'any thing bigger than 10m2 and 2m high needed approval.' How do I get info on that? "the shed builder will know that" ???

I did find this tonight and do not remember finding it before. Which council are you under?
    Fair bit of gobble-de-gook and double Dutch in that waffling doco!!

10m2 for an exempt shed? Chook houses are bigger. From reading the doco there's seems to be a close alliance with these building certifiers. Maybe they don't like sheds?

Quote Originally Posted by leyton01 View Post
    We are hoping to use most of the existing slab - still in fairly good nick although it has 2 levels so the lower of the 2 will be covered with further 60mm of concrete on top to bring it up to height (the slab should definitely be deeper than 100mm then) plus an extra 0.5 and 1.2m on one side.
    Quote Originally Posted by leyton01 View Post
    As mentioned above - shed is already purchased.
    Concrete slab will be sound enough - 3 of the 4 posts will be put into new concrete which I will make sure is good enough to support the shed.

Structurally it should be quite sound,
    Hi
    an issue that you might be concerned with is the bonding between the new (60mm concrete leveling layer) and old concrete and how this affects the holding ability of your hold down bolts for the new shed. Check, but it's probable that much of the bolts holding ability is generated around where the two layers of concrete meet.
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

I am hoping this little schematic will help better with the visualisation -

The areas marked with an green X's will be the new concrete - all 100mm thick at least and about 600mm width added to the slab. The red dots will be 60mm slab laid on top of existing slab. The black dots will be untouched.

The o are the posts - as you can see 3 of them go into new, deep concrete. The last will be in the existing untouched slab.

|x|.................................|
    |o|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo|

I called a building surveyor today - they said that I should only need building approval but not planning approval. Or at least until they look at it more they think so.

I was concerned by another thread in this subforum that said:
    $519 to council for a planning permit. About $500 to council for a building permit. $660 to a building certifier to give it all the final OK
    for a 6x9m shed - that looked to be in tassie though so hopefully not that much here. (brisbane city council)

Your floor plan for the concrete slab shows only 4 uprights. For a six metre shed I would have thought there would be 3 on each side, unless the roof purlions are a very heavy size?

So far as recommendations as to who to avoid for shed in Brisbane, Ranbu_lt (insert appropriate vowel). Avoid like the plague.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Quote Originally Posted by wun4us View Post
    Your floor plan for the concrete slab shows only 4 uprights. For a six metre shed I would have thought there would be 3 on each side, unless the roof purlions are a very heavy size?
    Same here, if c section I would say it would normally be 2 x 3m bays, giving you three portal frames.

Tophat64 will only span 4m, so if it is 6m it would need to be tophat 120, or perhaps a z section to carry.

And as per the previous comment- I would in general avoid any company selling anything that attempts to get you to sign up by giving something away for free, like a BBQ or Esky. If someone cannot differentially sell you a shed on the basis of it's benefits v cost, but you buy it for a free esky, well, good luck to ya!

Quote Originally Posted by banjoping View Post
    And as per the previous comment- I would in general avoid any company selling anything that attempts to get you to sign up by giving something away for free, like a BBQ or Esky. If someone cannot differentially sell you a shed on the basis of it's benefits v cost, but you buy it for a free esky, well, good luck to ya!

So true! If a product can't sell on it's own merits, then beware. A bit like"but wait, that's not all; b uy it now and get a free humdinger; and wait, if you pay before BC you'll get not one but two humdingers". Buy the product (which you have already done, and not the enticements, which you probably woujld not want otherwise anyway!!

Harking back to the plans and specs of the shed you have, tghe seller should have provided you at purchase a copy of the plans and specs of said shed so that you could submit to Council (or surveyor) if required. Sometimes it pays to look before you leap

Ab ove is meant to be constructive comnment, not criticism

|o|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo|

I see how the posts are arranged.
    However, it would pay to tie the new concrete into the old slab, with rebar, to aviod the possibility of the new concrete tilting relative to the old stuff
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian