Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Hello and a question

Hi folks. New here. I've just started getting into guitar building at the ripe old age of 47. I've almost finished my first scratch build and I'm already looking at starting another. Only electrics at this stage.

I'm wondering if any other Melbourne builders have bought any timber from Index Page AFT I'll wander down soon and see what their prices are. $100 odd for a body blank from the regular luthier online supply stores is a bit much IMHO.

They seem to have the regulars of maple, alder, ash and mahogany as well as other exotics but I'd like to hear people's experiences.

Cheers.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I'm from Ballarat - you're lucky to be in Melbourne and so close to AFT and there is also Mathews timber in Melbourne as well.

I've made plenty of guitars from their planks. It's great to work with.

My advice is if you plan on starting to buy from timber yards, buy yourself a moisture content reader, even if its just a cheapy off ebay . I've never had a problem with these guys, but other suppliers I have bought timber thats not ready to use.

As I read your reply I was thinking "a prolific builder from Ballarat? I must have heard of you" Looked up your profile; "Searls Guitars" Ah yes! Love your work.

Thanks for the info. I'll head down there soon.

Glad to be of help. I still have heaps to learn myself and I learn something new every guitar I build, trying little things I see here and there and experimenting with ideas I get on different ways to approach different stages, sometimes I win, sometimes I lose - but if I can share a bit of knowledge in return for everything I've learned from others thats how we all evolve.

I'm just a hobby builder, I still have a day job as a factory worker, but it seems lately I've always got at least a couple guitars on the go at any given time! I just don't get them finished as fast as someone doing it full time!

This is the moisture reader I use. It was under $30 from ebay and works fine. Even if it's tollerence is a few percent out, it still gives you an idea if the timer is raw or dry. When I first bought it I stuck it in some wet timber and it definity had much much higher readings. I've used it on kiln and air dried timber, the readings vary. This piece in the pic is a bit of mahogany from Mathews timber, all their planks have read 5 - 6% which is definitely usable as you aim for under 10%.

yeah theyre ook, i bought a one piece mahog body blank from them for my first ever, maybe 1994 or so...?
    was expensive tho, i only use fallen and recycled timber now. Im out east, past dandenong, if you can swing by some time i can hook you up with one piece blackwood blanks, they cost me around $20 apiece
    (they do have some borer tracks around the bark, but not much, easily worked around..)

Quote Originally Posted by Jef Long View Post
    yeah theyre ook, i bought a one piece mahog body blank from them for my first ever, maybe 1994 or so...?
    was expensive tho, i only use fallen and recycled timber now. Im out east, past dandenong, if you can swing by some time i can hook you up with one piece blackwood blanks, they cost me around $20 apiece
    (they do have some borer tracks around the bark, but not much, easily worked around..)
    At that price I'd be interested to see pics! A 1 piece body blank should fit into a large Australia post prepaid bag and cost about $20 to post (approx)

Vic or Tassy Blackwood?

Quote Originally Posted by Jef Long View Post
    I'm interested. I'm in Glenroy but can easily drive to Dandenong for some blackwood .

Demonx would have first choice as he replied first.

Thanks for the info on the moisture reader. I'll definitely get one.

Think i'll take first choice if its all the same with you lot
    i get slabs like this for $100 - $150 depending on length, width, prettiness etc..
    they are from fallen trees, not from chopping em down

this is blackwood and i also get wattle which is also acacia, also real nice real musical wood. Its Victorian stuff, not tassie.
    like i said, maybe $20 or a pinch more for a tele kinda blank, altho i dont do copies so im not sure. Im not in the business of selling this stuff and i dont know how much more i can get, although ive been told theres plenty, but yeah if ur in melbourne and youre paying too much to make guitars drop me a line for sure, always happy to share my resources, i make em with a strict budget of $100, and thats for everything

Hard to tell from the pic but it doesn't look wide enough for a body?? I might be wrong.

My minimum size needed for my superstrat shape is 47cm X 32cm

I've only ever used VIC blackwood on one guitar and it was wings on a maple neckthru, it's heavy so Im guessing an all Vic blackwood guitar would be an absolute back breaker!

If you manage to cut any nice looking blanks in the above size in either the blackwood or acacia, please send me a message as I'd like to try a build from them.