Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Folding Ali Checker Plate

I am wanting to make some storage boxes for the front of the camper trailer and can't find what I need amongst the "off the shelf" ali tool boxes etc.

I am going to use 2.5mm thick ali checker plate and was wondering if anyone out there has an effective, simple, cost effective way of folding this stuff to make corners, lips etc. I wont be welding joins as I don't have the gear so rivets and silicone will be the go.

Looking forward to being inundated with suggestions

Cheers
    Wayne
    My Life is Rich. I Don't Need to Be!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

depending on length of fold and required 90deg bend or ok rounded corner type bend, is what matters.

You can clamp two solid bits of wood and slow hammer along using a wood block if the edge to be folded is narrow. If your talking about bending the sheet into shape for the main boy of the box you can clamp the sheet to a bench with a bit of wood and leaver down if access to an oxy torch warm the area slightly DO NOT over heat it will fracture.

Find a nice old fella with a folder.

I've used the above method to bend 2.5mm but it isn't anywhere as good as a panbrake.

I'd suggest cut the alloy to size and pay your local sheet metal man to bend it for you.

After his bent it have him weld it.

Be a devil and spend the money, you won't regret it.

Simplest way to bend is to not bend.

If the corner are all 90 degrees, I'd use extruded AL angle as inside backers at the corners. Use pop rivets for connections. Beware the choice of rivet material. Plain steel in AL is no good, because of corrosion potential. AL rivets OK, as well as stainless steel which benefits from small-area effect.

Free edges could be stiffened with similar backers.

If you miter the edges of the checker plate, grind sharp edges smooth. You could also stop the sheet at the inside of its neighbor for an interesting notched corner.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

Yeah gotta luv ally, you think you're doing of ok then then the blasted stuff fractures on ya.

wrt to rivets, I normally use ally sealed ones.

An interesting find from my local that splay out more (bit like plaster anchors), recon they will be good for some applications
    www.lockwoodcanvas.com.au

I will never be the person who has everything, not when someone keeps inventing so much cool new stuff to buy.

From an early age my father taught me to wear welding gloves . "Its not to protect your hands son, its to put out the fire when u set yourself alight".

Yonnee is offline Trailer Bloke & Mild Mannered Moderator

If you can't get access to anyone with a panbrake folder, then I like Joe's suggestion of cutting all the sheets to the size you want and riveting to Ali-angle. And if you silicone the joins as well, she'll be a fairly strong, watertight box. Or boxes...
    Too many projects, so little time, even less money!
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds! Doing work around the home? Wander over to our sister site, Renovate Forum, for all your renovation queries.

Really only one way to go. Get it folded properly and welded.
    Rivets get loose and leak and then let go, no matter what rivet material that you use and riveting to extruded angle will look like something out of the flintstones.
    You can buy very cheap Aluminium boxes these days, if these don't fit or suit then you will be best served getting a set made locally which will cost more than buying ready made unfortunately.
    You will be disappointed if you try to rivet the boxes together in their entireity.