Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lathe Levelling

Default Lathe Levelling

My lathe is turning a taper so I thought I had better address the issue of levelling before I go any further. The lathe sits on two separate sheetmetal pedestals and as the photos show, there is not a lot to mount an adjustable foot on. I had some 40 x 8 flat bar which I have M6 screw fixed to the existing welded on flat bar skids on the base. I may need to bolt on an angle to the 40 x 8 to prevent springing. I may also need to replace the feet with something squatter and more rigid. I have only tackled the tailstock end pedestal. I will have a go at the headstock end on Friday.

The setup raises the lathe by about 65 mm. OK if you are Greg Q. I asked Bruce yesterday if he had a spare pair of platform shoes and he reckoned he didn't. Previously, he did confess to owning a selection of safari suits so I reckon he's bullsheeting me about the shoes.

Any one else have a go at levelling a sheet metal based lathe and if so, how did you go about it?

BT

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Second* person to mention RD or TC tests gets burnt at the stake....

*second because i mentioned them above

That looks sufficient to me... I take it the lathe and base combined weight is not that much...
    Light red, the colour of choice for the discerning man.

Default me two

HI Bob I started leveling my colchester to day. i like the extra height.
    It has 6 mounts. Ive used 1/2 unc threaded bar. screwed in to some steel feet.
    I would of liked to use bigger than 1/2 inch threaded bar but thats the size of the holes in the lathe base.
    It didn't take long to get it roughly level. ill check it later and have a go with my machine level.

your looks very neat as usual.

Default Laughter

Bob
    Laughter is the best medicine.
    Thanks for that
    Bruce

bob do you think leveling the lathe the lathe will get rid of the taper or is this just the first step to a straight bed?

Quote Originally Posted by .RC. View Post
    Second* person to mention RD or TC tests gets burnt at the stake....

*second because i mentioned them above

That looks sufficient to me... I take it the lathe and base combined weight is not that much...
    Richard,

I reckon the 9 inch Hercus would weigh less than your 260. At the risk of immolation, what are RD and TC tests?

Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by azzrock View Post
    bob do you think leveling the lathe the lathe will get rid of the taper or is this just the first step to a straight bed?
    I have to start somewhere Aaron and it has to be levelling the lathe. I can root around with checking the tailstock etc. but without a level lathe I'm pissing in the wind. There is next to no way wear.

I bolted my cabinets to the floor and leveled the lathe off the top of them with M12 bolts (jack bolts?)
    * +1 one RC

Someones father and something a dog wears.

Maybe I'm just ####ing dull but I have no idea of what you blokes are talking about.

The 260 like RC's could be bolted to the floor. The lathe was equipped with adjusters under the bed feet. The nine inch lathe did not have the adjusters.

BT

Dave J Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Anorak Bob View Post
    Any one else have a go at levelling a sheet metal based lathe and if so, how did you go about it?

BT
    I think you have already seen mine
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/la...ctures-114836/

With the height, do you have a duck board in front of your lathe to stand on? It will raise you 50+mm

Dave

Here you go Bob:

Marshalltown Msw24 Skywalker Plasterers Stilts 24in

I'm guessing RD = Rollies Dad's Method. Its an excellent way to start an argument.

Dave J Guest

LOL,
    Bob it's rollies dads method and test bar tests (I think) and has been flogged to death over on HM forum.

Dave

Not being a frequenter of other forums explains why this sailed over my head. Thanks Jack and Dave. Those stilts have been banned on union sites over here so getting hold of a pair might be troublesome. Maybe I'll head over to Good Sammys and pick up a pair of extra large size sheila's high heels. Should crank me up enough.

BT

Arrgh. I just had a vision of you in high heels Bob.
    Now I can't get it out of my head. Maybe if I go look at a road kill or something.

Phil

Dave J Guest

Those stilts are available on ebay, I came across them in some search a few months back.

I have plastic mat's in front of my mill and lathe, and there about 50mm high.

Just be careful with putting feet on the ends only. When I made that wheel set up to move my lathe, I left them on for a bit and didn't bother putting the feet down. I noticed I was getting a wear spot where the gap joins so it was sagging in the middle. As soon as I seen it I took them off and leveled it properly and I haven't seen it getting any worse.

Dave

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast