Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Hi Joe,
    I'm out of ideas(other than a dodgy pot).
    I left PD072 =50 and changed PD005=100. Still used full travel of the pot going from 0 to 50hz.
    Then I left PD005=100 and changed PD072 to =100. Still using full travel of pot going from 0 to 100.

Stuart

Edit 13

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

#14, sorry just the last one :P

I just got home and couldnt wait until tomorrow.
    Changed pd05 to 70 doesnt do anything.
    Change pd50 back to "50" and pd72 to "70", it maxed out at 35Hz so I changed to 100 and it seems to do the trick, however upto about 40% on the knob it doesnt do anything but at least I get 50Hz at full turn.

my settings are:
    pd0=0
    pd1=0
    pd2=1
    pd3=50
    pd4=50
    pd5=50
    pd6=2.5
    pd7=0.5
    pd8=240
    pd24=1
    pd25=0
    pd26=1
    pd70=0
    pd72=100
    pd73=0
    pd141=240
    pd142=2.4 (3/4hp motor)
    pd143=4
    pd144=1440

Regards,
    Trong

Quote Originally Posted by Oldneweng View Post
    What is the difference between VFD and VSD then?

Dean
    I asked the same question a while back and was told there is a difference, however so slight. I was told;
    VFD drives & VSD drives both control motor speed etc, however VFD drives are used only for AC drives. VSD drives are used in both AC & dc DRIVES. VFD drives first convert Alternating current to DC inter-mediating power using Rectifier, then convert A.C using inverter.
    I am still trying to get my head around these units however.

I have both a HM50 Hafco mill and an AL960B Hafco lathe and would love to add speed control to both and a brake to the lathe,
    I have been told that a VFD/VSD will do the braking for me, and if I understand correctly, it was also mentioned in this thread; Is that correct, will they do the braking for you?
    If they do brake for you via the electric motor, how much stress does this place on your lathes gears?

Also, when you fit a VFD/VSD does it mean that you by pass the original ON/OFF switches, including "Emergency"?

Thanks for the link, have not seen them that cheap before and has definitely re-sparked an interest.
    Ed

In amongst the off thread posts there is a post that is on thread.

I asked the same question a while back and was told there is a difference, however so slight. I was told;
    Quote:
    VFD drives & VSD drives both control motor speed etc, however VFD drives are used only for AC drives. VSD drives are used in both AC & dc DRIVES. VFD drives first convert Alternating current to DC inter-mediating power using Rectifier, then convert A.C using inverter.
    Thanks for the info. I will have a go at following this up.

I am still trying to get my head around these units however.
    I am also in the same position here.

I have been told that a VFD/VSD will do the braking for me, and if I understand correctly, it was also mentioned in this thread; Is that correct, will they do the braking for you?
    If they do brake for you via the electric motor, how much stress does this place on your lathes gears?
    I can tell you that yes they will do braking for you and that you can set the level of braking yourself. I would say start low and work up judging the effect yourself.

Also, when you fit a VFD/VSD does it mean that you by pass the original ON/OFF switches, including "Emergency"?
    Again yes. The emergency switch arrangement is of concern to me also. Apparently the VSD/VFD can be damaged if the circuit between it and the drive motor is disconnected while operating. Last night I was reading this thread
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/he...50-vfd-133899/
    There is some useful info about your questions there and also some wiring diagrams.

Dean

You can get 240-415V transformers cheaply if you know where to look... What you want is a mult-input voltage welder... Some of the CIG arc welders were like this, they had provision for 240/415/480V input. You can use the transformer in these to get 415V from 240V..
    Light red, the colour of choice for the discerning man.

I can tell you that yes they will do braking for you and that you can set the level of braking yourself. I would say start low and work up judging the effect yourself.
    And no. You can only get a small* amount of braking without an external resistor(they cost about $30). That will give you about about 5 times the braking(I believe, I havent used one). I dont like using VSD braking for a couple of reasons and have fitted a disc brake but thats up to you.

*That maybe enough depending on just how big the workpiece is and how fast its spinning.

Again yes. The emergency switch arrangement is of concern to me also. Apparently the VSD/VFD can be damaged if the circuit between it and the drive motor is disconnected while operating. Last night I was reading this thread
    And no. You could bypass it all but why would you? Given a choice I would certainly use all the original switch gear or as much of it as I could.
    Yes disconnecting the output while the VSD is operating isnt a good thing. You may choose to have an emergency stop AND an emergency isolate if you feel its necessary, But which ever switch you use most of the time will most likely be the switch you go for in a hurry.

Stuart

I have an isolation to input switch on mine and it stops the lathe much quicker than the stop switch on the VSD.

Hi Bob,
    A what? more details please.

Stuart

See Ed, if you wait long enough someone comes along who knows something. If you can think of the right questions one also might get to learn what is needed but knowing what is needed in the first place is a problem. It is all very confusing to me at this point. None of the many VSD's at work are in situations that require emergency stops with braking, tho the electritians would still probably know about it anyway. That would be a last resort tho. I am gunna keep reading and see what happens. Would be easier if I had circuit diagrams of the unit I am going to buy then I could follow it directly.

Dean

Would be easier if I had circuit diagrams of the unit I am going to buy then I could follow it directly.

Dean
    Here is the link that was posted earlier, to one of the VFD's on Ebay.
    If you scroll about 1/3 of the way down their add, there is a wiring diagram (including brake resistor) not sure if that is included or as Stustoys said, $30 extra. Is that what you are after?

It would be worth contacting the Ebay seller/distributor and ask if the braking resistor described in their wiring diagram, whether it is supplied also, or if needs to be purchased separately.

Ed

For a 2.2kw VFD they specify either a 300W 400ohm or 300W 70ohm braking resistor, these can be bought on Ebay for between $25 and $27 delivered.

Solder Lug Terminals Wired Braking Resistor 300W 70ohm | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Stustoys View Post
    Hi Bob,
    A what? more details please.

Stuart
    It's a push-to-latch-off switch that just cuts the 240V power to the VSD. I was advised by my sparky to fit this on the lathe as an emergency isolator for the mains from the VSD and lathe.

As you can see in this photo it stands out like dogs proverbials.

It's much easier than reaching up to the VSD box in an emergency - in fact it sticks out a little too far and I find myself occasionally bumping into it and cutting off the power.

Hi Big Shed,
    My manual shows 300W 250Ohm for the 3 phase 2.2kW(did you pick up the one for the 1.5kW?)

Hi Bob,
    And you say the removing 240V supply from the VSD stops the spindle faster? Maybe there is a "brake if supply is lost" option on your VSD? Do you have your VSD on "Coasting stop" or "decelerating stop"? If on decelerating stop, how long is the ramp time?

On the Teco there would be a pause before it shut down. The Huanyang has a minium if 0.1secs supply lost before it will even start shutting down, I've no idea if it then trys braking?

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by Stustoys View Post
    Hi Big Shed,
    My manual shows 300W 250Ohm for the 3 phase 2.2kW(did you pick up the one for the 1.5kW?)

Stuart
    Got those from the Hy manual downloaded from RayG web page.

Edit:

Hmm, bit confusing, they skipped a line in that table the 2.2kw HY202238 2.2kw is 300W 70 ohm
    the HY 202438 2.2kw is 300W 250ohm

Quote Originally Posted by ELM6061 View Post
    Here is the link that was posted earlier, to one of the VFD's on Ebay.
    If you scroll about 1/3 of the way down their add, there is a wiring diagram (including brake resistor) not sure if that is included or as Stustoys said, $30 extra. Is that what you are after?

It would be worth contacting the Ebay seller/distributor and ask if the braking resistor described in their wiring diagram, whether it is supplied also, or if needs to be purchased separately.

Ed
    First I have to know which unit I am going to buy. I received a PM from a member with info re a 5hp 4kw unit. I replied asking for info on supplier but have had nothing back. I just checked my PM's and found no sent items so maybe that reply did not work. I could have a look at the link but I think it would be better to wait until I decide.

Stuart

How would it do the braking if the power is cut off? Some of the units at work will still have a display for long enough to wind the cord around the pump handles, even after unscrewing and disconnecting the plug from the socket 20 amp 3 ph. I am also interested in Bob's reply.

Dean

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast