Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Question re Wiring Channel routing on LP and copies

Hi all,

I'm a little puzzled over how the wiring channels are routed in LP's and other rear route guitars... On the back I see 2 covers, one for control box and one for the PUP switch, but how does one get the wiring channels between all the above?

Reason for question is I'm working on routing templates for a home build based on the WGD body with rear route control box and no pickguard, but this part has me totally stumped

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Usually there are holes drilled internally that route the wires through the pickup cavities. I am sure that I have seen long holes drilled starting at the neck pocket as well. I think from memory in a LP, you would drill a long hole from the neck pocket that goes through the 2 pickup holes, you would drill a hole from the neck pickup hole to the pickup switch, and you would drill a hole from the bridge pickup hole to the conrol cavity. WHen you glue the neck on it hides the entrance that connects the two pickup holes.

When I did my bass, which was neck through. I routed a channel to join the 2 pickup holes before I glued the body wings on. Then when I routed the pickup holes there was already a channel there joining them. Then I just had to drill from the pickup cavity to the control cavity.
    The other day I described to my daughter how to find something in the garage by saying "It's right near my big saw". A few minutes later she came back to ask: "Do you mean the black one, the green one, or the blue one?".

A proper LP with a maple cap has the chanels routed in to the mahogany body before installing the cap.
    Otherwise , you do as Peter suggested above and drill from the pickup cavities to the control cavity and the switch cavity

Exactly as both have described above.

I use a 12" long drill bit. Make sure to keep pulling it out to remove the excess or the bit will seaze up on you. I've had one break and when it did the power drill slipped with my pressure and made some damage. Luckily the guitar was to be painted solid, otherwise itd be "start again" time

http://www.gitarrebassbau.de/downloa...4505fa893bb951 has full plans for a LP,
    Maybe it helps. shows locations and router channels etc.

Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated I'll go with the route before capping method as I'm going to be using a flame maple cap. Most probably use mahogany for the main body, but I am considering ash... haven't decided yet

@ _fly_ thanks for the link, I'll keep that lot in my library, may come in handy down the track.

I'll post some pics when this one's finished.

We make quite a few guitar bodys lp style during the year, we always route the body wiring channels before capping it