Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do table saws really last a life time?

Hello All,

Thank you in advance to all those able to provide me with some guidance or more importantly some ease of mind prior to lashing out on a new table saw. My situation is I am 27 years old and I love woodworking as hobby when I can get away from work. I am by no means a professional however that said I care a lot about good quality machinery and I always try to get a professional finish to my projects.

I have read the forums regarding the capabilities of different table saws to death so my question is not about comparing different brands etc. The table saw I am going to buy is the JET JPS10-TS which seems to do what I need within my price range. My question relates to the many forums on here that mention that a good table saw that is maintained correctly will last a life time or at best a really long time.

Question 1: Is this really long time actually true or do many of the wood workers here actually upgrade their equipment quite regularly. I don't think this is possible for me as the wife may start to want to buy expensive things as well.

Question 2: I am not very aware of the technology advances that have occurred over time with table saws. Are the saws in the market today quickly out dated like computers for instance and if so should I wait till I am retirement age to lash out, or will the saw I buy today be competitive in say 5, 10 even 20 years time. (sorry for the hypothetical)

Any help on this topic is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Nothing lasts forever.... but if looked after, and if you purchase reasonable quality up front, there is no reason why the saw you buy today won't be competitive in 20 years....

I don't think there has been much technological advances in table saws in the past 50 years, and apart from things like sawstop, can't see much changing in the next 50....

Wouldn't it depend on how long you live for?
    Chris
    ========================================

Life isn't always fair

....................but it's better than the alternative.

I have had my saw for 15 years, the bloke that I worked for owned it for at least 14 years before that, and He bought it second hand. I should imagine that it's at least 32 or 33 years old. It's still on the original motor, although I have replaced the arbor bearings a couple of times, the last time 12 years ago. I should think that if you buy wisely and look after it, it should last a long time.

Robert
    Check my facebook:rhbtimber

I would agree with the other replies. I run a 1960's Gilbro compact combi saw and planer. Bought it secondhand from a neighbour 8 years ago when he was downsizing home and workshop. He bought it new. Has limitations due to being a compact and tilt table rather than tilt arbour, but has had them since he bought it and I knew about them before buying from him. On it second set of belts, and I rejigged the wiring etc four years ago during a general work over, otherwise factory original, same motor, bearings etc.

Similar with a 1970's DeWalt RAS, all original except height crank pulleys and belt.

On the other hand, new junk bought today or twenty years ago will still be junk (if it has not been scrapped) twenty years on.

Buy quality, look after it and it will last. We have 100 year old machines at work that are still used daily and just keep going - one of them got 98 years on the original bearings.

As for being competitive; there will always be something "better" out there, but if what you have does what you need, who cares

Will a TS last a lifetime? In my case yes, the missus will kill me if I buy another one.

Regarding technology, unless you want sawstop safety then I would recommend getting an old heavy machine over a new light one.

I've got a 1000 year old axe, although the handles has been replace 98 times and the head has been replace 43 times...

I agree with the others. Buy quality. Some things have a life, like motors, blades etc. Not too much can go wrong with a metal box as long as you look after it.
    The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel.

My father bought a compact combi TS (planer, drill, saw with cast iron table) in the late 1950's, used it in his cabinet business until he retired in the early 80's then finally sold it mid 90's when he downsized to a unit.
    It use to run for hours on end, only stopping it to rejig it for a different function.
    It was still going strong when it was sold.
    So buy quality, look after it and it should last your lifetime.
    Arie.

If you only use it as much as I currently am with mine, it should last 10 lifetimes.

Thanks for those that replied. Your advice is very much appreciated and will make my decision to spend more on better quality much easier.

Cheers.

Remember the old saying "You get what you pay for"?

Buy cheap and you get cheap.

Spend a bit more and buy quality and look after it, then you can expect it to last a loooong time.

Cheers
    Wolffie
    Every day is better than yesterday

Cheers
    SAISAY

As others have said, quality will last if looked after. Likely wear parts such as quadrant gears should be regularly lubricated with graphite powder, trunnion bearings greased if applicable. If a part wears, replace it immediately. Keep the table clean and give it a light coat of rust preventative - I use lanolin spray, but there are a few on the market.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

I have a friend with 2 dewalt DW744XE's type 2. BOTH DEAD.
    The rear bearing gets to hot and melts the bearing sleeve and the field case.
    When it dies you can't tell if its getting to hot unless you get your hand underneath and feel the motor.
    Currently trying to work out the right model to get parts from ereplacements as they don't list 744XE and unfortunately there are 2 different motors by the look at the diagrams.

Anyone else know which one it may be.

Whats even crazier he's on his third and he went for dewalt again?
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by _fly_ View Post
    I have a friend with 2 dewalt DW744XE's type 2. BOTH DEAD.
    The rear bearing gets to hot and melts the bearing sleeve and the field case.
    When it dies you can't tell if its getting to hot unless you get your hand underneath and feel the motor.
    Currently trying to work out the right model to get parts from ereplacements as they don't list 744XE and unfortunately there are 2 different motors by the look at the diagrams.

Anyone else know which one it may be.

Whats even crazier he's on his third and he went for dewalt again?
    Peter
    Some people learn from their mistakes, some learn from the mistakes of others and some have to touch the fire to see if it's hot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast