Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Broken thread on piano leg - help needed

Dear fellow forumites,

My wife's mother's husband (notice how I didn't say father-in-law) has a piano where some of the wooden thread on the screw attachment of the leg has broken off. It looks like the threaded post would have to be bored out and a new one glued in. I'm assuming that the threaded post is made of softer wood than the piece that it screws into as it's better for the threads to break off then strip the "nut" inside the main body of the piano.

Can anyone recommend someone who could repair this without damaging the leg as the piano is a family heirloom and has significant sentimental value?

Hopefully these pictures explain his predicament.

Cheers

Bryan

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Bryan, I may be able to help. I will send you a PM.
    Rob

Would the threaded part be a part of the leg or would it be screwed into the leg. If its screwed into the leg as well you should be able to buy a new threaded section and swap them over.
    I'd think they make the legs separate and then get threaded dowel and then screw it in.
    Whoever helps fix it I'd like to know the method please (Rob?).

If Auscab can't help you out, drop me a PM - our club just pulled a piano apart to scavenge anything of use and it had legs that look just like those (excepting they have a walnut finish). From memory the threads on both legs were still intact.
    Updated 8th of February 2024

Many thanks to Rob for his help and advice on methods of repair. Very knowledgeable guy.

Unfortunately the thread cutter wasn't the right size so it's off to try methods in increasing degrees of difficulty.

I've added some pics of how the leg is constructed. The shaft looks like it's turned from a rectangular piece of beech with the hexagonal part made of pine and glued to the square centre part of the shaft.

The turned pieces just slip over the shaft and are held in place by a couple of fine wedges.

Cheers

Bryan

What about casting some PR around the thread thats left and then filing a new thread into it by hand. The thread is really only to half locate it and then it stands on the leg.

Hi Fly,

Yeah, that's one of the last resorts for me, doing something by hand and by eye. It's a good idea though, either building it up with resin as you suggest or gluing a small block on where the thread is missing and re-carving it by hand.

Cheers

Bryan

Hi Bryan,
    I had a guy in the other day who used to be a professional piano restorer , he told me of a woodturner who can fix your problem. He has thread cutting capabilities set up on his lathe. Steve Curtain is the turners name and he once ran Auburn Woodturning, a family business , he now does it from home. I have his details at work. Ring me there if you need the number, or pm me and I can send it back to you.
    Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob,

PM sent.

Cheers

Bryan