Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Small shed equipment

Hi this is my first post.
    I've moved house and have a very small shed - 1100X2000 - with a small bench and vise and room to hang my tools.
    Ideally I would love to have a few of the following:
    -bench grinder
    -cross-cut compound mitre saw
    -panel saw
    -routing capability
    -larger bench
    - drill press

but I guess it's not going to happen any time soon. In the meantime, I think any larger projects will be done outside in the courtyard on some sort of folding contraption/vice/tool holder etc. Just been looking at the Workmate and Jaws thingo. Is there anything that would do what they do plus help holding other tools, such as saw, router/grinder stuff?
    I could afford to spend a few hundred dollars on it (since I saved money on not having a garage). Come to think of it, maybe even more.

Advice, anyone?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

In a recent Australian Woodworker magazine was a small worktable that had provision for inserts. On each insert was a Grinder, cut off saw etc etc.

Thus when you wanted to use a particular peice of equipment it was already sitting on its own base that was bolted to the worktable.

hell does that make sence... maybe I need to fit the pillow and think tomorrow.
    I would love to grow my own food, but I can not find bacon seeds

Thumbs down

Andrew, Can't suggest what bench to get but have a look for a Mens Shed in your area, you could use some of their equipment for material prep and use your shed for final assembly, because you really don't have enough room to store what you want!
    Arie.

Default i thought my shed was small

Is your shed really 1.1metres by 2 metres. Wow, i'm impressed you can do anything in such a small space. My shed is about 2.3metres by 6 metres approx. be ok if it was square but its long and narrow. I'd love to be able to walk around my work bench, but not possible. I don't have any freestanding power tools, but I do have access to some at a friends workshop and this allows me to do more. Breezy's suggestion of a local mens shed is a good one and could expand your capabilities.
    I'd love to see a photo of your shed.
    Cheers
    Frank

I overbuilt an island bench, perhaps 1.8 x 1.8m. Cheap timber and drilled all sorts of bolt holes in it. Might be just the thing to put in the courtyard for use on fine days.

Anyway, my bench is in my shop. Clockwise start with the 10" power miter saw, then the router table, then the 8" drill press, then the 8" band saw. Added several other holes for a swing arm desk lamp that can be moved from station to station.
    I can heave it around, twist it a little, to take an 8m strip of molding into the saw with most of it down the hallway.

I've had a workmate for 30 odd years and find it very useful

you can make platforms for all your tools so that they sit on the top of the workmate and are clamped securely in the jaws
    ie a piece of 16mm melamine with 3 strips of 40 x 40 mm pine screwed to it so that the middle strip fits between the jaws and the two outside bits help to position the platform

Here's a sketchup plan of the idea (upside down)
    I've just drawn it so not really to scale

Attachment 214546

Hope this helps - I also use something similar for my little router
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Oh and welcome to the forum!
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Welcome! :tbhyel:

Have you any space outdoors? My shed is 3m x 3m and it's virtually just a toolbox. I have a thicknesser, 17" bandsaw, lathe, drill press and a small bench with a vice, but it's too cramped to do anything meaningful. I do the majority of my work outdoors including planing, bandsawing, polishing etc.
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

Seriously the shed you have is really only a garden locker, use it as a tool box / cupboard, and build an lean too beside it , or build a larger shed.

1.1 x 2.0 mt is just not big enough to work in, I have a 3x3 mt Garden shed and it is no where near big enough .

you need a BIGGER SHED, I think anything below 6x3 Mt is too small , 6x6 is for most blokes about right , I want a 6x4 mt Shed which is about all i can fit on my property.

If this is not possible at the moment , set up a bench outside and work there , you will just have to work around the weather.

Jeff
    vk4

I have a nice shop space but it is filling up. I have room for an island bench, maybe 120 x 120. Four sides and 6 power tools. The scroll saw and the 9" Ryobi band saw are securely mounted on 18mm ply (yeah, 3/4" plywood to me).

I've got a 4m x 3.3m shed and I can do all my work in it. Its got a work bench on each length of wall with shelves to store tools on the back wall. I run a router on a router table, a wood lathe, scroll saw, bandsaw, drill press, belt sander, dust extractor, mitre saw, vices, engravers, dremels and grinder in it without any room problems. It is amazing just how much stuff you can fit in and how you can set up your space to make the most of available space. It has taken me a while to get it organised by I still have a metre between the benches where I stand to work. Its all i need for the work I do, but I can understand that a large shed is far better to work in. My neighbour has a soundproof 12m x 6m besser block shed for furniture work that makes mine look like a wheelie bin
    The Pen is mightier than the Sword

www.artisanpens.com.au
    www.facebook.com/artisanpens.penmakers