Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Halving a workshop

Sadly on Wednesday night, the transmission on my little tin can on wheels finally gave out. It lived a good life but the entire thing wasn't worth the price of even a refurbed transmission with the number of km's already on it so it's moving to wherever good cars go when they die.

This means it's time to replace it, and so my better half and I have decided on something a little bigger.

The problem with this is that I had my workshop set up perfectly around the small car, with just enough room to get it in and out. To get something bigger in means I have to basically halve the workshop, moving it all to the back wall.

So far this morning I've dismantled my almost completed Roubo style bench, put the worse half of my wood stockpile out on the street for someone to take for firewood, and started moving what remains around.

I've already earmarked my router table and table saw as needing to go, the Roubo bench parts will need to go and I'm casting hard looks at everything else.

It's not fun, but by the time I'm finished I hope to still have a functioning woodshop with very little in the way of unused tools or materials.

Keep an eye on the marketplace as I'll be putting some stuff up this afternoon.

Andrew
    ---

Visit my blog The Woodwork Geek to see what I've been up to or follow my ramblings on Twitter

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by andrewr79 View Post
    ....So far this morning I've dismantled my almost completed Roubo style bench, ....

Noooooo

.... put the worse half of my wood stockpile out on the street for someone to take for firewood .....

Noooooo

..... I've already earmarked my router table and table saw as needing to go,.....

Noooooo

.... the Roubo bench parts will need to go and I'm casting hard looks at everything else.

Noooooo

...It's not fun, but by the time I'm finished I hope to still have a functioning woodshop with very little in the way of unused tools or materials.
    I guess you are not going to attend this year working with wood show?

So why does the car need to be parked in the garage workshop?

Quote Originally Posted by Christos View Post
    I guess you are not going to attend this year working with wood show?
    I am, but only because I've already bought my ticket through the local woodwork club

PacMan,

Street parking here is hard to get at the best of times, and SWMBO'd wants anything we buy put away properly. She did offer to help tidy though and she's not complained about how much junk I've accumulated (well, just a little bit), so I can't complain too much!
    ---

Visit my blog The Woodwork Geek to see what I've been up to or follow my ramblings on Twitter

I have been on a clean up as well, but my clean up involves to use the wood that I have. I may not be able to purchase any wood for a little while as the stock pile slowly becomes smaller.

Keeping the shed tidy can some times be an interesting project when I find something that I needed for a build.

Oooo so that's where I put it.

I have gotten most things off the floor.

Andrew I am so glad LOML didn't demand this when we upgrade the auto......although she constantly reminds me "Its not a shed its a garage used as a workshop"!!!!! Say's eh about to go tomorrow to look at a nice bit of kit he can't fit in.

Unfortunately these days smaller minded engineers/architecs (sic), builders, all seem to think we have smaller cars. Why? They are told at Uni go measure the vehicles in the parking lots students and teachers eco minded are driving what these days. Did they do this during the 60's when Mini's rained supreme why cause not many had a garage back then but every man had "A SHED".

Make a stand she has the whole house.........have you got a spare room for the tools indoors

When I run out of room in the workshap (cars are parked in the garage ) I just build another shed in the backyard. The joy of living on a standard 1/4 acre block.

Peter.

That is tough having to downsize.

I rejected offers of help when I had to do the same after moving to a new home with a small workshop/garage.

I did eventually put some timber out on the street. But after a week I had brought most of it back to my yard!!

Good luck.
    Scally

You have my full sympathy on this.

One of the few advantages of having no car access round the back is this sort of thing can't happen!

It's not that bad now I've got it mostly done, I was just sharing my pain earlier. Thanks for the sympathy

I think it could be quite focusing not to have as many toys to play will, more work might get.done
    ---

......I think it could be quite focusing not to have as many toys to play will, more work might get.done

It worst than we original thought, Andrew has become delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by Christos View Post
    It worst than we original thought, Andrew has become delusional.

No more than usual!

Tablesaw sold a few minutes ago, so that's the first big thing gone.

I still have access to decent gear via the local woodwork club, it's just a little less convenient than having stuff here. I still probably have more room than a lot of forum members so I shouldn't complain.
    ---

37 Deg, 52. 697' South 145 deg, 15.627' East. Elevation 78M

Do what I did, I put up a large shade sail in front of my Garage/Workshop, it keeps the sun and weather off the car and the breeze around it helps the car dry out after it has been wet. I believe a car should never be put in a garage if it goes in wet the humidity of the room increases and the car doesn't dry out and this causes rust and decreases the value.

So if you want a rusty car put it in the garage if not build a carport or shade sail for it.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe.

Sadly I'm in a townhouse so adding a shed or a sail is out, in a few years well look for a house and then it's shed time
    ---

A bit more on this, I put the borrowed car into the garage after the cleanup and got it in with under 30cm to spare, and the car I'm looking at is slightly longer (yet still not that big a car!) So I'm going to have to move the remaining bench back to the side and cut the top back so it's about 40cm deep. It's going to be interesting going from two benches to half a one!
    ---

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast