Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Post Stanley Plane with shooting board

Does anyone know the model No. of the large plane Stanley put out many years ago which was used in many schools in NSW. Also what were the benefits of this Plane and its attached shooting board? Gareth.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Smile

Gareth, The shooting plane was a Stanley 51 and came with its own metal shooting board. The 51 had a handle which could tilt to the side to enable use of the plane in shooting mode (on its side) and had a skewed blade too. Shooting refers to the accurate trimming for mitres and other angled joints. By the way, if you ever come across a 51, especially one with the board, let me know because I would love to buy one!
    RFNK

I would say along with a 100 or so other people that would like to buy a Stanley 51.
    GARETH
    The large Stanley I think you are referring to is a Stanley No7 this was the prefered plane at schools.
    DonN

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RFNK:The reason I asked this question was because I make small jewellry boxes and wanted neat mitres. Sounds like this plane would be good to acquire. So make that 101 other people looking!
    Can anyone suggest another way to get good mitres. I only have a Triton saw bench which hasnt the accuracy I need.

[This message has been edited by GARETH AXTENS (edited 06 November 2000).]

Cool

Well, I haven't seen too many No 7s in schools. I think they usually used No 5s (and drilled holes in the soles, the bastards!). I think most good mitres are probably achieved with good mitre fences on table saws but I use a drop saw for run-of-the-mill stuff and a mitre box with a tenon saw for picture frames, furniture etc. Professional picture framers usually use guillotines, I think. By the way, the Stanley shooting board (chute board) built for use with the No 51 is, believe it or not, a ... No 52!
    Rick
    RFNK

Gareth
    If you type this address in it shows all the stanley planes. www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0.htm
    DonN

Don
    What a great site to see this huge piece of equipment. I have tried visiting other sites with no luck and this is the first time i have seen this plane. No doubt they are rare as i have asked several people who sell old woodwork tools at the Sydney woodwork show and they have said they are near impossible to acquire.
    I bought two beautiful planes over the last few years 1/ smoothing plane from HNT Gordon 2/A brass low angle block plane from Ashby. Both these planes are a delight to use.
    I think Mr Ashby should make a big plane like the Stanley 51 !! Thanks for the reply
    Gareth

Thumbs up

The last time i saw one of these Stanley's was at a Swap Meet held by the "Hand tool preservation Association". Asking price was around the $450.00. And ya wouldn't believe but.... They're having a swap meet and sale on this Sunday the 12 of November at,
    The Glenferrie Primary School
    80 Manningtree Road Hawthorn ( Melways 45 D11)

Seems as if the "collectors of tools" have put a premium bounty on this animal.....
    Found a complete set-up, shooting board and No.51 to go with it......$1800.00 asking price!!!!! Ouch....
    Sounds like two sticks of melamine and a No. 7 will do the job.