Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Found some time to get back on to these this week. Got the radiusing done on both the necks and the inlay done on the maple neck. The ebony board isn't getting inlays, just glow in the dark side dots. Have a few pics

I'm also looking for some info on maple fretboards. I've never used one before so I'm not sure what finish to use. Definitely do not want gloss! I want it as satin and natural as possible whilst still protecting the board.
    I picked up this new ibanez last week and the maple neck and board are hands down the best feel I've come across. I'd really like to emulate it. Not a great pic of the neck but I love this guitar lol!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

If you look at my blackwood build thread below, I used a maple board and just sprayed two or three really thin coats of 2k.

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f98/ta...59/index5.html

It was gloss 2k but it doesn't look gloss due to not having build up since it's sprayed so thin. But I've only sprayed it thick enough to seal the board. I didn't have to sand it or anything. I just ran the buffer over it at the same tine as buffing the rest of the guitar.

Steel wool the frets after the paint cures. Use a little steel fret guard like stew Mac sells so you don't steel wool the paint

Quote Originally Posted by demonx View Post
    If you look at my blackwood build thread below, I used a maple board and just sprayed two or three really thin coats of 2k.

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f98/ta...59/index5.html

It was gloss 2k but it doesn't look gloss due to not having build up since it's sprayed so thin. But I've only sprayed it thick enough to seal the board. I didn't have to sand it or anything. I just ran the buffer over it at the same tine as buffing the rest of the guitar.

Steel wool the frets after the paint cures. Use a little steel fret guard like stew Mac sells so you don't steel wool the paint
    Yea I've got them guards. I usually use them for any fret work. I've got some satin poly so I might try a few clear coats of that. Is it best to perform any fret dressing before spraying?

Well it's a matter of opinion

If you do it before hand you have the jon of getting the metal shavings out of the maple before paint

If you do it after you avoid the above but risk messing up your paint.

I do a little from a and a little from b

Quote Originally Posted by demonx View Post
    Well it's a matter of opinion

If you do it before hand you have the jon of getting the metal shavings out of the maple before paint

If you do it after you avoid the above but risk messing up your paint.

I do a little from a and a little from b
    Yea I can see the risk either way. I guess I'll work it out when I get to it

This pic shows the guard I was talking about.

I used this and the steel wood to scrub the clear off the fretwire after the clear had cured. I had done the majority of the fretwork prior to paint and had the timber taped up. I then removed all the tape and razor bladed the timber before paint, then this after paint.

Yea they're the guards I've got. Thanks for the tips. I'll follow that and see how I go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12