Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    And we've had 3 days of "chit chat" and no Yonnee post.....
    Come on Yonnee, Please, your audience awaits.
    WIP Photos and build notes, thank you.
    Cheers, crowie
    Makes me think of Canberra polititions- All full of Chit chat & Cr*p and we all hang around hoping to hear or see something constructive
    Now you guys Yawnee is a nice cool Moderator yous know.We need to look after him.
    No picken on him.
    I am not goin to dus it any more
    Back To Car Building & All The Sawdust.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE View Post
    Makes me think of Canberra polititions- All full of Chit chat & Cr*p and we all hang around hoping to hear or see something constructive
    Now you guys Yawnee is a nice cool Moderator yous know.We need to look after him.
    No picken on him.
    I am not goin to dus it any more
    Hey Ross.....You post was a PAGE #3 on my computer!!!!!!!

I can't help but think that there is something wrong with this forum. Bob produces a wonderfull model pickup and is doing a WIP of a cab over tractor. At the time of this post he has had 9 replies on each and 155 views. Yonnee had done nothing and has had 31 replies and 534 views. Is it any wonder that more people don't do WIP?
    Cheers Elderly

Yonnee is offline Trailer Bloke & Mild Mannered Moderator

Gees you blokes are hard task masters!

What part of "Extremely slow" dont you guys get...?

I do have a 9-5 job, that actually sees me out of the house from 7:30 till 6:30, then there's indoor cricket, dinner at the in-laws 3 nights a week when we collect the kids... So you see, I don't get alot of shed time, and even on the weekends, there's house and car maintenance things to do.

Please bear with me, it will take some time, although I see you've been amusing yourselves... Aussie! Wake up! And I do thank those that have expressed concern as to my absence via email. I have reasonably thick skin...
    Too many projects, so little time, even less money!
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds! Doing work around the home? Wander over to our sister site, Renovate Forum, for all your renovation queries.

Default Selection of timber

As I said earlier, my F-I-L used to work for a coffin manufacturer, so every now and then I'd ask him to bring home some timber off-cuts, stuff they'd give away to employee's with fireplaces. I started going through a couple of boxes I've had stored in the front garage, and sorting into piles of similar species. Now, what I know about different timbers could be written on the back of a 1c stamp, so I was stoked to find that I'd written what they were on several of the pieces when I got them.

Here's some of what I've got (on the trailer I started years ago ... see what you're in for!. Incidently, I have changed tack on this project, but that's another story, in a different part of the forum, and for another day.)
    Attachment 216600

One of these has 'Danta' written on it. I think I'll save this stuff for tyres and small stuff requiring a dark contrast.
    Attachment 216601

This one has "Cedar" with a question mark? Anyone?
    It's really light weight...
    Attachment 216602

Clockwise from top left, Mahogany, Silky Oak, and another really light weight timber, Cedar again?
    Also, the one just out of shot, to the right of the Silky Oak, has a similar grain effect to the Silky, but is a different colour...
    Attachment 216603

One of these has 'Blackwood' on it, and is one I've got a reasonable amount of, so I've decided this will be what the model will be mostly made from.
    Attachment 216604

When I shifted my shed around, I had to shorten my main workbench a bit, so I have left over some T&G boards that came off it, that I will start with to give me some practice learning how to use my new toys.
    Attachment 216605

This will be cut down and used for the chassis, seeing as it wont be seen, and I don't know, nor care, what this timber is. At this stage, it's called 'Practice Wood'.

Nice little collection of timber. I've got a lot of Blackwood too. Hard to work, but comes up great.

That cedar ... it doesn't look like Australian Red Cedar: -
    Attachment 216616

Doesn't look like Calantis Cedar either: -
    Calantis Cedar.jpg

I would have said maybe Western Red Cedar, but it's not very red.
    ... Steve

-- Monkey see, monkey do --

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Good to see progress Yonnee and thank you the good natured response to the heckling.
    All the mucking around aside, I am very interested in seeing you toy project come to life.
    Cheers, crowie

Default Slow progress...

Hmm, all the heckling seems to have died down. Maybe you've all nodded off...

Seeing as I haven't played around with my toys yet, I figured a good place to start was with the most dangerous one... the Bandsaw. Firstly, to change the blade. I'd ordered a couple of new blades a few months ago, a couple of 10tpi 1/4" and a 6tpi 3/8" blade. Didn't seem to be that difficult, except for needing about 4 hands to get the blade between the slides above and below the table at the same time... but we got there.
    The VW plans call for some piece of timber to start as 1/2" stock, 3/8" stock and 1/4" stock, and it would be quite a waste to just keep throwing a 3/4" piece through the thicknesser till I achieved the desired result, and I been reading about "re-sawing", so I thought I'd have a go. Grabbed my 'Practice Wood', raised the guide to maximum throat depth, and... bugger! With the tongue still attached, it's too wide.
    Attachment 216935

So, off with the tongue!!
    Attachment 216936

Now, I didn't fancy trying to feed the whole length through on my attempt, so it got docked to a more managable length.

Attachment 216937

Fits, now! And a much easier length to handle...
    ...Here goes nothing...
    Attachment 216938

Not so bad... so far, so good. (And yes, I did turn the saw off to take the photo!)
    Attachment 216939

SUCCESS!!
    Attachment 216940

A few runs through the thicky, and she's all good... well almost. For some reason, the thicknesser wont wind down past 9mm. Operators manual says not to go past 5mm, but I can't even get that close. On closer inspection, I found two allen headed capscrews that were binding, one of them is holding a guide on the base plate, and also has a washer under it. A quick play, and removal of the washer allows another 1.5mm, which will do me for now.

Also, found my grubby piece of 'Practice Wood' is just plain ol' pine flooring. So, do I use it, seeing as it's just the chassis, and mostly unseen, or do I cut another from some of the other timber I have?
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds! Doing work around the home? Wander over to our sister site, Renovate Forum, for all your renovation queries.

What you can do if it doesn't go high enough is make a sled to fit right thru, Then underneath at each end screw a stop block. You can then take it out for normal use and put back when you want thin stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonnee View Post
    Also, found my grubby piece of 'Practice Wood' is just plain ol' pine flooring. So, do I use it, seeing as it's just the chassis, and mostly unseen, or do I cut another from some of the other timber I have?
    Only you can answer that, really.
    (My chassis is made from old Blackbutt 4 x 2 building timber. You don't have to use exotic timbers for everything.)

Like me, you're diving right in and learning how to use your equipment as you go.
    I'd never even touched a bandsaw until I cut my chassis rails.
    ... Steve

Hello Yonnee,

Great job on the resaw. Like Fly said you can build you a sled for planing thinner pieces. I don't use screws though I use double sided carpet tape. It works great. I have planned all the way down to 1/16". All I use is a flat piece of 3/4" plywood and tape the piece I want to plane on top. Whatever piece you use make sure you measure the thickness as you will have to add this to your planer's thickness gauge to get the correct thickness.

My planer always gets chips stuck around the cutterhead lift screws which keeps it from going to its lowest setting of 1/8". Kinda of annoying but what are going to do. If I had a proper DC hooked up to it it would probably alleviate the problem.

As far as using the pine, you are giving this away correct. So I would use all the best wood for it as it is a reflection on you.

Bret

What Bret said for thin boards You can get good double sided tape at Spotlight craft section in rolls and different widths cheap.Plane one side of your wood.stick that side to sled ,making sure that you have plenty of tape under the leading edge.Take the cuter down a small amount at a time. OH and no knots in wood as they may be spat out at you at a fast rate.
    Back To Car Building & All The Sawdust.

Default Great suggestions!!

I knew I stayed here for a reason. I'll have think about a sled, might have a use for some of the plexiglass sheets I bought recently...

I hear what you're saying Bret. It is for my Dad, and even though it's out of sight, I'll still know it's pine... So, I have some rough sawn New Guinea Rosewood. Guess I'll be practicing my re-sawing a little more.

Thanks Ross, didn't think of the knots... duely noted.

Any-hoo, time for more pics.

I've been mucking around with some photocopies of the side pieces and the roof piece, and the Missus' iPad...

Attachment 217191

Attachment 217192
    ...and I reckon I've just about got it right.

I'm going to make the roof piece another 40mm longer, rout the rebates and sand the angles, then sectionise it to follow the redrawn part of the side pieces. I've calculated the angles required for each sectioned piece to mate together so the whole thing can be rounded off closer to the real car. It'll mean trimming one side of the cowl vent piece to match also, and cutting a window out of the third, rearmost piece of the roof, whereas the original plans have a large, square cornered rear window bordered by the top rear edge of the roof, the cowl vent, and the two side pieces.

Attachment 217193

Here you can see the comparison between the original drawing on the right, and my modified one on the left.
    Attachment 217194

I'm going to keep and copy all the drawing modifications for anyone interested.

Your's looks a much better shape. Looking good so far.

(I used NG Rosewood for the base plate of my Roadster, too.)
    ... Steve

Glad to see its well on the way.
    I used NGR for the money box van I did, Its nice colour appealed to me.
    And the 11 Yr old that was getting it choose it becuase she went to a school called "Rosewood".

mmm getting model withdrawls..

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast