Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default 15 amp shed upgrade

Hello all, I'm thinking of having a couple of 15 amp power points installed in the shed. It's my partners property so I need to explain to her what is required before I can contact a electrician.

The shed is about 30m from the house, it's got 6mm wire running from the house main power box, there's allready 8 x 10 amp double points and 2 fluros which was all done by a sparky. Also the shed doesn't have a breaker box.

I have suggested putting a breaker box in shed then run two circuits, a 10 amp for the existing power and a 15 amp for the new.

Not sure how the wiring is done in main breaker box but the shed breaker has been removed so if the shed trips the whole house trips.

Any suggestions would be appriciated, Thanks

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Firstly, talk to a Licensed Electrician.

For my sheds, I have sub boards in both, so that I cannot trip the house. I can isolate 1 shed at the time or both sheds from the house main board.

I have 1 10 amp RCD circuit and 1 Light circuit in the "Old" shed and 2 10 amp RCD + 1 10amp Non RCD + 1 15 amp circuit + 1 Light circuit in the new shed.

I dug the trench and ran the wires to the electricians specifications, get them in writing, to save time and a bit of money. The sparky checked everything before wiring up.
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by bently View Post
    The shed is about 30m from the house, it's got 6mm wire running from the house main power box,
    Are you certain of this? If this has been done correctly then there will be a dedicated breaker in the house breaker box specifically for the shed. If not, there is most likely an extension of the house power circuit down to the shed and this is consistent with the " if the shed trips the whole house trips".

I have suggested putting a breaker box in shed then run two circuits, a 10 amp for the existing power and a 15 amp for the new.
    15 A sockets are supposed to be on their own breaker you would need to run three circuits. Lighting should also be on a separate circuit.

It sounds like you need to get a sparky out to open up the house breaker box to see what is there

Thanks guys,

I've spoken to the previous property owner, he had the shed built 10 years ago and said it was 6mm wire.

It originally did have a dedicated breaker but my partners ex recieved a major shock from the external light switch. A sparky checked the wiring and that's when the deicated breaker was removed. I can't understand why this was done!

I replaced a switch not long ago and the only way to turn the power off was to turn the actual mains off. When I'm using power tools I use a portable HEINEMANN 10 amp 5 port commercial grade powerbox protector, it has a built in breaker.

The main thing is that I can use the exciting wire running from the mainboard to the shed, then run a new breaker box with the three circuits.

Yes, I totally agree that a sparky needs to checkout the house breaker box. I'll look into one of those free quote now I have a better idea.

Thanks for the info, Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bently View Post
    Thanks guys,

I've spoken to the previous property owner, he had the shed built 10 years ago and said it was 6mm wire.

It originally did have a dedicated breaker but my partners ex recieved a major shock from the external light switch. A sparky checked the wiring and that's when the deicated breaker was removed. I can't understand why is was done!
    I'll bet the sparky didn't have the shed line on an RCD so he just connected it to the house RCD. IMHO this is being a bit slack.

The way my sparky did my shed was to put a breaker box with an RCD in the shed.

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post

15 A sockets are supposed to be on their own breaker you would need to run three circuits. Lighting should also be on a separate circuit.

It sounds like you need to get a sparky out to open up the house breaker box to see what is there
    When I had some sparky work done here sparky said when the 15 amp circuit is on a fuse the rule was one powerpoint per circuit, but when the circuit is protected by a circuit breaker you are allowed more PP per circuit, but definately check

Pete