Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BobWes View Post
    Isn't there another NH Goat? I'd have to go searching the archives, but I think there is.
    I found it!

Will Clarkson, Portsmouth, NH
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f169/g...uth-nh-100869/

I've added this to Paulie's map thread.
    Dave
    StorerBoat Builder, Sailor, Enthusiast
    Dave's GIS Chronicles | Dave's Lugs'l Chronicles | Dave's StorerBoat Forum Thread

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by paulie View Post
    I'd LOVE Newport. But I'm worried it would be pricey.
    All I know is there's a Goat Island off Newport's shore... it's a sign I tell ya!
    Dave
    Dave's GIS Chronicles | Dave's Lugs'l Chronicles | Dave's StorerBoat Forum Thread

Yeah, I think there are plenty of great options in CT and RI. Some nice state parks, sandy beaches, warmer water. I like a Long Island Sound centric meet-up idea. The sailing is usually great in LIS.

C-

I'd LOVE Newport. But I'm worried it would be pricey. Anyone know the relative prices of Newport vs, say, Lake George?
    Check out Fort Adams:
    Fort Adams - Group Overnights

They have some group overnight camping at $15/person. Campfires permitted within existing fire rings. Not sure if multiple nights are possible (or even desired). And not sure if there's a way to launch the boats.
    Dave

What about camping and sailing off the beach at Rocky Neck or Hammonasset or some other park? We have the advantage of being able to hand carry our boats to the beach if launching is not possible. Not these are plank on frame boats here...

Hammonasset was the place I alluded to a few posts back. It has lots of camping, is on the beach, allows alcohol (only a few CT parks do), and is just one mile off I-95 (on good roads!). We could do a lot worse. I was just afraid that it would be too far for the NH and ME boats. (And I was thinking it would look cheesy for me to choose the closest campground to my own home.)

I can do some research on Rocky Neck and on the place Dave found in Newport.

What's important is good sailing. Don't be so polite, even though I kind of figured that's where you were going with it. AND JUST THINK If the weather poops out on us your wife can HOST DOZENS OF SMELLY GOAT SAILORS IN HER HOUSE and bake us cupcakes. We will help you clean your garage, maybe burn something down, and trample your garden.

If the weather is nice we will sail.

It would be nice with a GIS class for competing too... With class rules allowing small variation as all GIS are unique in one way or another.

For example:

1. No changes to the parts of the hull being in water (every GIS I have seen picture of so far would be allowed).
    2. No changes to the sail shape/unreefed area. Those with extra sails, like a mizzen can leave it off while competing and would fit inside of the class too.
    3. Also some minimum weight might be a good rule, as otherwise some might make the boat out of really weak material just for competing, making it impossible for those that actually want also to enjoy their boat as a robust family boat too.

I've never been much of a racer. And when I have raced, I've almost always been crew, not skipper. (That suits my skill level better. Trim the jib, Level the boat. Do what you're told. Leave all the thinking to those who are good at it.)

But it always seemed to me that the point of the rules should be to preserve as much scope as possible for excusing and justifying over a post-race beer. Under the best rule sets, no one ever has to admit to lousy skills. "The handicap isn't fair." "The course didn't suit my boat." "I'd have done better in more wind." Or, the ever-popular "I never would have capsized if my co-owner hadn't screwed up the rigging!" Then everyone has another beer, toasts to the fact that they are all incredibly good sailors, and starts the evil scheming to have an unfair advantage next time.

But then, maybe that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    AND JUST THINK If the weather poops out on us your wife can HOST DOZENS OF SMELLY GOAT SAILORS IN HER HOUSE and bake us cupcakes. We will help you clean your garage, maybe burn something down, and trample your garden.
    Don't forget, we have an 18-year-old son. I'm not sure the presence of an additional dozen smelly Goat sailors would be noticeable.

Is Rocky Neck-to-Gardiner's Bay and back too ambitious for the type of craft and the timeframe involved? My experience with the other end of LIS in much bigger boats would says it's not reasonable, but I throw that out as food for thought.
    Dave

I'm not down with the racing aspect. I quit racing years ago because no one was having fun. Fun racing is fun, getting serious about racing is not fun. People say they are having fun, but it's because they forgot what fun really is, and they think yelling and screaming and obsessing over minutiae and pouring thousands of dollars and thousands of hours into the adjustment of mast rake is fun. I stress out and obsess over minutiae enough at work.

Not for me.

Gardiner would be a haul, the times would have to be right with tides over The Race, but it's doable. However, it's very ambitious and really depends on the abilities and experience of the skipper. I would not suggest that for a group event, but I like where your head is at! Long Island is also an option, too, I guess.

To say the truth, I would never want to professionally race either... But for fun with friends, it is sure nice.

What I meant, it would be nice with some "class rules" to allow a bit of competing for fun, without turning it into a expensive sport. For example this with weight, sure you could probably make a carbon fiber "GIS", with the same shape, but lighter... add more sail area, trapeze etc. But that would kill the fun out of competing with GIS. I was more thinking some small sets of rules to stop really unfair things to creep into the nice GIS community killing the little fun you have with trying to catch up each other

Think about it more like a set of rules defining what is still a GIS, after you have made your modifications. When is a GIS not anymore a GIS?

Anyway, it might not be needed with as few GIS as there are right now...

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    ...and they think yelling and screaming and obsessing over minutiae and pouring thousands of dollars and thousands of hours into the adjustment of mast rake is fun....
    Ah! The tyranny of being good enough at something that it matters whether or not you try. That's one of the nice things about being hopelessly inept. You are exempt from the need to take winning seriously.

I've never been nearly good enough as a sailor for my effort to matter. But I did take beer-making quite seriously for a while. Read voraciously, spent many hours tinkering, agonized over possible errors in process and the freshness of ingredients, emptied my wallet entering beers in competitions in the hope of winning a ribbon or two. And then I realized that I'd forgotten what it was like to spend a relaxed afternoon brewing with friends and enjoying the fruits of some earlier, similarly relaxed, brewing session. I stopped entering competitions and fell in love with brewing again.

It kind of makes me glad that I was never a very good sailor.

I stopped entering competitions and fell in love with brewing again.
    Aww... makes me want to drink a beer. (It doesn't take much with me!)

Hammonasset looks to be more beach launch friendly but Rocky Neck looks like it would have more interesting scenery to sail by/to. Are they both campgrounds? (I can Google the overhead imagery, but not the actual sites? Wsup with that?)
    Dave

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast