Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Christophe ... I stole some photos from your blog as candidates for next year's calendar. Posted on the Goat Island Skiff Facebook group.

MIK

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

By all means Mik.

And stay tuned! IAZ,P is only in the middle of season III! There is more exciting cruising to come!

Some of the photos (callsign/christophe's) are just super.

I put a few more up too.

Christophe's blog is here - Goat Island Skiff Amateur Style

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    I have my sched for September who wants to talk? Weekends are no good, except for one odd sunday.
    Do you mean 2013 or 2014?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dave
    StorerBoat Builder, Sailor, Enthusiast
    Dave's GIS Chronicles | Dave's Lugs'l Chronicles | Dave's StorerBoat Forum Thread

Damn. Weekends are all I have. Big new project at work will keep me busy all the weekdays in Sept.

This year for exploration/options. sheesh

Default Stonington, CT - Little Narragansett Bay

G'day,

I live in Nazareth Pennsylvania and I might be jumping the gun as I have just ordered plans for the GIS through Duckworks... I already have the wood and hope to start cutting in a few weeks.

How about Stonington, CT and Little Narragansett Bay area. Mystic/ Stonington is approximately a four hour drive North from Eastern PA. There is a public launch (Barn Island State Boat Launch), cheap (value driven) motels in Stonington, camping within 10 mins of the launch and plenty of places to eat. I go there a few times a year to kayak and fish along with the Wooden Boat Show in June.

Seaport Campground / Morgan Resorts - 45 Camp Ground Rd., Old Mystic, CT 06355 (860) 536-4044 Reservations: 866-617-8464

Stonington Motel - 901 Stonington Road Stonington (860) 599-2330
    Americas Best Value Inn - 812 Stonington Road Stonington (860) 535-2843

That's the spirit! And looky what we find near the boat launch you mentioned...

Stonington.jpg

It's a sign!
    Dave
    Dave's GIS Chronicles | Dave's Lugs'l Chronicles | Dave's StorerBoat Forum Thread

Well, Mystic is certainly convenient for ME. Our most northern friends will have to let us know if the drive is just too long for them.

In the meantime, congrats on starting your build!

Quote Originally Posted by paulie View Post
    Our most northern friends will have to let us know if the drive is just too long for them.
    It's literally closer than anywhere else in Connecticut (as the crow flies), and there seemed to be interest in Connecticut before. How do Goaters feel about cheap motels vs. campgrounds? It's unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be camping right on the shore somewhere. Most likely that boat ramp doesn't allow overnight parking, right?

I do like this option for a couple of reasons:
    (assumes Barn Island launch)
    --The sailing looks to be interesting. I don't know the waters, but I would imagine that Little Narragansett Bay, Fishers Island Sound, and Block Island Sound offer increasing levels of difficulty. But there is lots and lot of coast line to remain near and/or escape to as well.
    --There are multiple interesting destinations including beaches and Mystic Seaport (maybe that's ambitious).
    --In the event of inclement weather (for sailing purposes) Mystic Seaport is a fun and relevant Plan B.
    --As dehager notes, it can be done fairly inexpensively.

I cast my vote for Stonington 2013!
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dehager View Post
    ...and I might be jumping the gun as I have just ordered plans for the GIS through Duckworks...
    Not at all, I'm sure! Now you've got a target to shoot for. As noted in this thread, September seems to work best, so that gives you plenty of time. Plus, even if you're not complete, you can (no... will!) attend Woodenboat Show, visit my boat on display (which may or may not have Paulie as the host), and be inspired to redouble your efforts! If for some strange reason you haven't built your Goat in ten months time, you attend the Goat Gathering with your kayak(s) and pull duty as photographer. Or bar keep. We will give you lots of helpful tips on how to finish your build, and you can then begin planning to attend Woodenboat Show with YOUR GIS in 2014. And prepare for the 2014 Gathering. Which may take place on a lake in Massachusetts

See how this crystal ball thing works?
    Dave

I could even possibly see myself traveling that far, I generally travel south to the outer banks or the Chesapeake for vacation. I tend not to go North too often though, too cold and full of Yankee's!

Default Northeast US Goat Gathering in 2013? 2014?

Did I just see Christophe on the Weather Channel sailing IAZ,P with a handkerchief reef and wielding a flagon of rum?

Here's hoping all Goaters on the US East coast make it through Sandy safe and sound; stay dry my friends!

Dave

What a ride! Windy, power and internet loss, but not too bad in central NH. The worst part was when I was awakened at 5am by my mother-in-law ("Christophe the generator stopped!") and some obnoxious anti-theft house alarm that wouldn't stop squawking. Very easy for us considering.

Paulie, you check in? I'm worried for a friends house on the beach in Westbrook.

Dav? You good?

If Al Z. still lived in Brooklyn, he would have had some amazing pictures.

Default Northeast US Goat Gathering in 2013? 2014?

I'm hunkered down with no power. No damage to our house or any neighbors but some close calls with downed trees. The tree that stole my power is three houses away. Three houses in the other direction they get their power feed from a different cable so they're ok. My generator has used one 5 gal tank in a day and a half. We're just trying to keep the fridge cool so we don't lose all our food. Thankfully the temps are mild

Stay safe. My thoughts are with Paulie in New Haven...

Dave

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast