Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I missed the second build but again good idea. Lockable casters are a must.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Excellent idea

Wow, that's a brilliant innovation. It would be great if u could provide us a construction drawing got follow. Still too hard for me to understand the principle of this construction.

What are the main components on this tools stand to make it flippable?

What are the components of this tools stand to make it stable and locked properly and prevent it flippable while operating?

Do u need any special hardwares to construct it?

Quote Originally Posted by macmac View Post
    ... a construction drawing...
    I had to do some drawings, but basically they were just to get the idea down..

There are three basic components - the tool tray, the side supports, and the base.

The tool tray has to be big enough, and strong enough to hold the the tools. I know, obvious, eh? but it took some thinking and measuring to work it out. Each tool has it's own particular requirements. The tray had to be wide enough so that no part of the tool would hit the side support.

The side support had to be high enough so that, when flipped, nothing would hit the base. It also had to be strong enough to support two tools - not only to hold it up, but also hold it all from wanting to collapse sideways.

Finally, the base had to hold the whole thing up and be wide enough so that the whole thing would not fall over. The base also needed to work with casters so the tool stand could be moved easily but be locked and stable.

From there on, it's all a matter of compromises... The higher the side support, the longer moment arm, and the bigger the base had to be to counteract the long moment arm. Sure, that might get the working surface of a tool closer to optimum level but that could create stability problems.

Any engineers out there? ...best I could manage was eyeball engineering. If it looks right, she'll be right.

Keep it low, brace everything, and use what's in my wood and metal scrap boxes.

Basically I used my initial concept drawing, and just started to build it up. Where ever I could put a brace or a wedge, I did. Where ever I imagined a weakness, I made it stronger. No science, just a gut feeling...

Finally, when I couldn't possibly put any more braces or wedges on the unit, I bolted the tools to the tool tray. I had a couple of 12mm bolts that were long enough to hold to the tray to the side support and work as a strong pivot point.

Flipping worked fine. The two tools sort-of balance each other so flipping is easy. The next problem is to stop it from flipping. Initially I used a couple of clamps to stop it from moving. Now I just put a board in between the tray base and across the side support.

Hope all this helps..

If there's one characteristic of personality that I admire greatly, it is "innovation." I salute you, sir.
    For stability, I don't think there's a case for minimalist construction.
    I make do with an island bench = power miter saw, little band saw, little drill press and junk/hand tool space on the 4 sides.

Hi Norm

I think it terribly important to point out one obvious thing you have overlooked when posting (or boasting) on this forum.

The world hates a smart a#@^ !

However begrudgingly though, its a great idea and really well executed, you bast@$&!

Cheers
    Phil
    "Come sit down beside me" I said to myself, and although it didn't make sense,
    I held my own hand as a small sign of trust, and together I sat on the fence.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12