Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My shed WIP is 6m x 6m and the pergola is 9m x 3m.

The consultant estimated $14k.
    I had a quote for a tin shed at $10k plus concrete.

I stole the big timbers from Boutique Timbers, thanks Mal and found some old bridge timbers for pergola beams and rafters.

The rest of the shed is pine frame and big LVLs with a colourbond roof.
    I am doing most of the work but had help from a builder and concreter for the slabs and shed framing.
    I still have power to do with a quote for 3 phase at $3k.

I have stopped keeping track of the cost but the consultant was light on.
    It will be closer to $20k.

My opinion is that you will get what you pay for.
    A humpy for $1000 or a place you want to work in for $30,000.
    Scally

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Yonnee View Post
    $30K...??? Seriously??!!

My 12M x 7.5M with 3M walls from Safety Steel structures cost me around $5K to buy 8 years ago, and I erected it myself (they quoted $2K). Concrete was around $3K... Under $2K for power, but I did all the grunt work digging trenches and running cable through the house roof and the conduit.

I know steel prices have gone up since then, as has concrete... but three-fold?
    Yeah, remember we have to have Cyclone rating 5 up here and even a pool pump shed need council approval here, with the associated fees of course
    We were lucky to get it 2 weeks after everything was destroyed by the Cyclone last year.
    Cheers
    Wolffie
    Every day is better than yesterday

Cheers
    SAISAY

Many thanks to all

I don't think SWMBO will allow the budget to stretch to $6,000,000. Even telling her that I can save a million and get it for $5,000,000 will probably not cut the mustard.

We will be somewhere in suburban Sydney, so cutting down trees to make it ourselves is also out of the question.

I am hoping the budget will stretch to a timber framed structure, with the power and water connected. I am pretty keen to get a decent set up as it will be a workshop, retreat and place of recharging and rejuvenation.

ad

Quote Originally Posted by adelaney View Post
    Many thanks to all

I don't think SWMBO will allow the budget to stretch to $6,000,000. Even telling her that I can save a million and get it for $5,000,000 will probably not cut the mustard.

ad
    Isn't that how woman buy things???
    I save 120 dollars on these shoes?
    they are normally 720 dollars and I saved 120 when I got them......

Question how much do you want to do yourself?

I am in the process of getting a new shed at the moment.
    6.5 x 15.5x 2.7 with 1.3m verandah along 1 long wall. Horizontal cladding( looks like steel weatherboards). I don't have a lot of spare time at the moment so all my quotes were for a finished shed including concrete and construction. They ranged from $27K to $32k and then power, lining the shed,plumbing for toilet etc will add another $15k or so.
    I could have saved quite a bit by pouring the concrete and putting the shed up myself as the kit alone was only about 17k.
    I guess it depends on how much time and/or skill you have.
    If you want timber frame witha second story that means off the shelf kits are out which will increase the price a bit.

Bruce T.

Having neither much time nor skill, I suspect your numbers won't be far off.

Thanks for the input.

ad

Many thanks to all

I don't think SWMBO will allow the budget to stretch to $6,000,000. Even telling her that I can save a million and get it for $5,000,000 will probably not cut the mustard..

ad
    I like it
    Experienced in removing the tree from the furniture

From hard experience when you arrive at a figure add 50% for the stuff you forgot and the stuff that you didn't get told about. As for a concrete slab it does not have to be a slab, put a perimeter slab under where the walls are and fill in the rest with something else. I would be tempted to borrow a post hole digger, put piers down and throw some panel flooring over the piers. It is a bit more complicated than that but it should be cheaper by a fair bit if you do the work. Doing it this way allows for some services to be under the floor of you wish which can be a bonus.
    CHRIS

Thanks Chris,

Good thoughts.

Would panel flooring be sturdy enough to support the machines (a planer/thicknesser, table saw , a big dust collector, a bandsaw...)?

It does appeal to have access to the space under the floor for the electricals, pipes and maybe even the dust collection hoses??

ad

Yes the flooring will carry the load. Mine is exactly that and it is over 25 years old and has some really heavy stuff on it. Council will require an engineering spec on the piers and the joist centres and joist sizes. Mine was originally a car garage so the loading so not an issue if properly engineered. Fix the floor down with stainless screws for easy removal of the floor panels if needed.
    CHRIS

Thanks Chris,

Good thoughts.

Would panel flooring be sturdy enough to support the machines (a planer/thicknesser, table saw , a big dust collector, a bandsaw...)?

It does appeal to have access to the space under the floor for the electricals, pipes and maybe even the dust collection hoses??

ad
    Stratco Tuffloor flooring system - Stratco X1 steel framing system, flooring system, steel subfloor, light weight flooring

Lots of good info here
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

Cheers
    Ray

Im in the shed game (in WA) and a rough rule fo thimb we use over here (delivery + shire+ fully installed with a slab) is about $250 per metre squared, plus GST.

That is a REALLY rough rule we use for a standard shed, with standard inclusions.

Just on the subject of shed floors, I purchased some machinery from an old joinery some years ago. The shed had a dirt floor with individual concrete plinths for each machine (eight in total.)

You could go down that track initially and fill in with a slab across the whole floor when funds permit. Nowadays this is relatively easy with the availability of concrete pumps and probably feasible in terms of the extra expense.

It's certianly true to say that a nice solid floor has many advantages over dirt and grass. I still aspire to such a facility.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Default DIY Concreting

DIY Concrete Slab Design

If you want to cut costs on slabs this link might help. Two thirds of costs goes to labour in a quote. So, if you can do it yourself without having to hire a concrete grinder afterwards, why not. I've been told by a builder who first worked as a concretor, that it's a pretty easy thing to work with and will only cause problems if a cow lies on it in the midday sun.

I'm renovating an old 6m x 4.2m shed covered with seconds iron and dirt floor, but am going to bolt treated pine bearers to the 10 iron poles holding up the skillion roof and concrete steel piers across the middle as supports, then put in a cypress floor. The iron will be replaced with hardiplank horizontal cladding to match the house (held with engineered hooks at each end @ $2 each while I nail, rather than two builders @ about $400/day each) and I'll put in a big window that's leaning against the wall in there, along with a glass panel door. Don't forget the sarking, insulation batts and wall air conditioner (in western NSW). Think it'll be more of a 'stooodio' than a cave though.

Although, you could replace the cypress floor with tongue and groove plywood panels and increase the number of joists and bearers to carry the load. Try ebay, trading post, or buy them secondhand.

For a cheap steel frame of your own design, try these guys at www.frametek.com.au They offer a great deal and advice; and steel floors too if you want.

Welcome to the forums KathB and thanks for the link and a helpful post.

I often consider that cost of shed and house are inversely proportional to the amount of effort. If you pay somebody it costs a lot, but the more you have input the more the cost is reduced (within you level of competency or it will end up costing heaps.)

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12