Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Unexpected Outlay

When fate intervenes. We had planned our day almost down to the last minute. Dropping off the PC at Techies to fix/replace under warranty Blue Ray and have more memory put in laptop. Visit Sue mum in the nursing home at Bexley, after pick up PC and laptop. On way home get new tyres for the wheelchair.

So after unplugging everything from the PC (now bare in mind I have to climb out of the wheelchair down to floor level to do this and back again when done.). Out to the car, Sue carries PC etc me sitting waiting while she puts the wheelchair in the back........
    ."Bloody hell"...
    ."Whats up"?
    "Your chairs broken"!!!
    "Yeh right"
    Brings wheelchair round flopping all over the place, one of the main centre stays has snapped clean in 1/2 right at the bolt joint.

Pc is carried back indoors.

I am stuck in the car so a search for a wheelchair shop near by. Find 2 one Moorebank, One Ingelburn. Closest first, I won't go into denegration mode but people who sell wheelchairs should have some common sense .........Nooot in this store. No disabled toilet, wheelchairs for trial all have flat tyres, no cushions. Here try this see how you like it.

We had the choice of direction to take to Ingelburn ......yep chose the one which had major traffic accident didn't we if taken the other we could have saved 30mins.

To the great people at Aidacare - Healthcare Equipment Solutions
    I had CUSTOMER CARE from the time Sue had to go in and explain she required a wheelchair to bring me in. Measuring up, technical guy's involvement, swapping some of my old chairs stuff to new chair. Adding new front castors and my old forks, adjustments and we were out of the just after 1.30. Thanks heaps guys.

Pity the cost of such to all disabled is so darn high $800 for a good quality wheelchair,
    I am not complaining in regard to Adicare people as additional work and fitting was all inclusive. No Centrelink or medical benefits covers these expenses.

Yes cheaper are available but its used everywhere, everyday and then some. Oh my old one has been 4x4 often just ask Fletty or Sue, additional weights of large burls eh Pat.

I guess last Saturday weeks getting thrown out of the chair due to front wheels being bogged in sand 4", me having a face plant almost may not have helped perched like drunken bird teetering between 1/2 full and half empty (you know the ones). Glad there's no photos of that predicament a doz 80 yr old ladies trying to assist.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

The broken tube.

That's not good a last minute change of plan. Looking at the bright side you were in the car, ready for the replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    ......I guess last Saturday weeks getting thrown out of the chair due to front wheels being bogged in sand 4", me having a face plant almost may not have helped perched like drunken bird teetering between 1/2 full and half empty (you know the ones). Glad there's no photos of that predicament a doz 80 yr old ladies trying to assist.
    No photos did not happen.

I try and keep my camera with me all the time these days so if I was there I would have taken photos. Offered suggestions like, does anyone have a rocket? What about we rig up some sort of counter balance. Should we wait for the grass to grow?

Quote Originally Posted by Christos View Post
    That's not good a last minute change of plan. Looking at the bright side you were in the car, ready for the replacement.

No photos did not happen.

I try and keep my camera with me all the time these days so if I was there I would have taken photos. Offered suggestions like, does anyone have a rocket? What about we rig up some sort of counter balance. Should we wait for the grass to grow?

With mates like you who needs enemas

Wow I did not think I was as bad as an enema. Let me think about it and get back to you.

How long does/should a wheelchair last?
    It seems a bit rough that there's no medical benefits for this sort of thing. Perhaps you should approach NRMA

I'd be surprised if there was no suitably talented forumite who could fix that chair for you.
    Lighten it a bit, add mag wheels, respray ...

"Never been raced" eh?

Remind me never to buy a secondhand wheelchair from you Ray.....

Glad to hear you are now back up to speed though

Bloody bus drivers always blaming the gear, they just never change.
    Can you take a photo not quite so close up so we can see what we have to fix? Can see the brake in the tube (big ####) need to see what options we have.
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

Now that's what I call subtle. I must remember it the next time someone gives me the ####s.

Glade you got mobile again Ray.
    Regards
    Hugh

Enough is enough, more than enough is too much.

Quote Originally Posted by snowyskiesau View Post
    How long does/should a wheelchair last?
    It seems a bit rough that there's no medical benefits for this sort of thing. Perhaps you should approach NRMA

I'd be surprised if there was no suitably talented forumite who could fix that chair for you.
    Lighten it a bit, add mag wheels, respray ...

This one Geoff has lasted me about 6 hard years the first few were not so hard as at home I used a walking frame or stick. The last 4 yrs its been my constant companion so to speak.

There is a government process to apply for such aides Geoff when in need of ankle supports a Rockets Sock they took 6 weeks to get and still they got the wrong size.
    A bloke at the time had been waiting 12 months for his custom made wheelchair to suit his needs.

NRMA these days are to busy to the north of Australia rescuing boats to bother with wheelchairs.

If I had the gear TIG etc I would do it myself or have a go but I needed it yesterday as I said I was stuck in the car, what do I use while its being fixed??

Yes hire one is a possibility not cheap and for how long and most of all comfort and light weight for Sue to manage in lifting it.

How long would a repair job last being main pivot point and stress point.

Still needed one to get about there and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Brush View Post
    "Never been raced" eh?

Remind me never to buy a secondhand wheelchair from you Ray.....

Glad to hear you are now back up to speed though

Thanks John

Only time it was raced was round Oran Park on weekends.

So what, you going to ignore me for my bus driver crack?
    Could be good to get the old one repaired as a stand bye Ray. Should be able to strengthen it up somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Claw Hama View Post
    Bloody bus drivers always blaming the gear, they just never change.
    Can you take a photo not quite so close up so we can see what we have to fix? Can see the brake in the tube (big ####) need to see what options we have.

My coaches always run smoothly thank you if not I'd fix it so they did. See reply to Snowy above re-gear.

Here you go, the problem is the brace is welded to a T at top and bottom. Bottom fits to the main frame, the top is what supports the seat cushion and is drilled along that shaft for screws.

Just welding the break a solid bar internal possible then weld and re drill but this would weaken also me thinks you never know could last a life time to.

Still all that takes time and the new one is tops and its BLUE.

Quote Originally Posted by A Duke View Post
    Now that's what I call subtle. I must remember it the next time someone gives me the ####s.

Glade you got mobile again Ray.
    Regards

LOL A Duke we are still talking.

Yeh, just don't like to be beaten by machinery if it can possibly be repaired (and or improved)
    Blue, mag wheels, turbo? Sue will have to run to keep up with you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast