Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by rhoads56 View Post
    every repairer will be different. Ring around. We arent going to do that for you.
    I'm not asking for an exact figure, just an approximate figure. Surely someone has some idea of cost, my neighbour is currently recovering from open heart surgery and he asked me if I could find out via the board if it was repairable and an idea of cost.

I thought this was meant to be a friendly helpful forum, sorry for wasting your time.

I would ring around but hate using the phone as I am profoundly deaf and have enough trouble as it is hearing and also being on a disability pension, I'm not about to start trawling the shops to get a quote, all I want is an approximate cost so that I can let my neighbour know.
    Cheers

DJ

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Have a chat to 5 Star in Ringwood on left past the clock tower as you head towards town.

$150 - $1000

That isnt some made up figure. There are professionals in this thread, telling you that you will need to get a quote from someone.

The repairer will have to see it first.

He needs to inspect the fibres, check for micro cracks, view the ability to get the joint back together cleanly, etc etc etc etc.

We can throw a figure out there, without any direct knowledge of the repair, but what's the point? It won't be relevant.

This is a helpful forum. You however, are not helping yourself.

DJ you should remember from your Admin days that some of the touchiest members on this forum frequent the Musical Instruments forum.

rhoads56, Acco as the former DJs Timber, used to be the main Admin on this forum and has helped, and still does help, more people on this forum than you have had hot dinners.

Thats fantastic, but he still needs to take it somewhere to be quoted.

I shall start a new thread "I need some string, but how long?"

Speaking to a guy I know (who is a violin maker who went to England to study his craft) his ballpark was $150 - $500 depending on the quality you want in the repair (from functional to hard-to-spot). If it's a special guitar (signed by an important band member, made by a premium maker or whatever) then it could cost even more.

At the lower end of the estimate, it's glue, sanding and paint; at the higher end, it's glue, tenons, filler and paint.

The paint is probably going to be the most expensive single part, depending on the type of paint and colour matching and blending in the repair; could easily be half the repair price all by itself.

His comment was that if it's just a sub $500 guitar...probably not worth paying someone to do it; so that makes me say just epoxy it together and see how well the crack can be hidden with some carefully filling!

Thank you MS
    Cheers

DJ

For repairing guitars I would not recommend any epoxy resin. You will get a much better result with Tite Bond Animal Hide glue, which is available in the ready use bottle. I use this to build and repair acoustic and electric guitars.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12