Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this?

Question What is this?

Hi folks, has anyone any idea of what this metal ventilated box is. (See pics). I thought it might be similar to the white gas vent to the right (see pic). Any thoughts appreciated. Really want to know if I can get rid of it.

Cheers
    I read the instructions! It's still upside down...

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Burglar alarm siren?

I may be asking you to do the obvious, but what is around it?
    ie what is on the inside of the wall at that point (and below) and is there anything near the ground in that area on the outside.
    They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. They're not laughing now.
    Bob Monkhouse

Or a vent for a flued gas heater maybe... Take it off and have a look. That's what I do when I'm curious :eek:
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by silentC
    Or a vent for a flued gas heater maybe...
    That gave me a thought, why do you think the white thing on the right is a gas vent. It looks like a normal room vent to me.

Do you have a gas heater behind the wall, and if so the mystery item is probably the vent for that and the white vent will just be to the room or to the ceiling space.
    They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. They're not laughing now.
    Bob Monkhouse

Its where the Gremlins hide dureing the day.

Al

What a load of garbage Al.
    All the Gremlins come back to my computer during the day
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Red face What is it?

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll try my hand at confusing a bit further...

There's absolutely nothing 'around' it. Nothing below except wboards and ground.
    There is, in fact, a gas heater, but it's about ten metres to the right.
    The 'gas' vent i mention is, as SimonC pointed out, just a normal room vent. There are multiple. I only called it that from habit after some guy once called them that...

The gas heater (10m to the right) has a flue (funny that), and yet another vent.

Could it be that they installed this 'thing' years after the place was built and couldn't match the vent style? Maybe after a moisture problem?

I will take it off and have a gawk. Just thought someone might say, "Don't remove it! It's an extra-terrestial, super dooper, thingy that will self-destruct."

Oh, and a burgular thingy? Don't think so.
    I read the instructions! It's still upside down...

Quote Originally Posted by Programmer
    Just thought someone might say, "Don't remove it! It's an extra-terrestial, super dooper, thingy that will self-destruct."

Oh, and a burgular thingy? Don't think so.
    YOU MUST, MUST, wear a foil hat when undoing the vent, or the thing inside might get control of your thoughts.
    Then it will post all sorts of garbage on this BB and confuse us all.

Al :eek:

Then it will post all sorts of garbage on this BB and confuse us all.

Al
    And that's never happened before.
    Photo Gallery

What termite says.... it looks like the cover that they fit over a Burglar alarm siren, usually it has a tamper proof switch that goes off when you unscrew it to stop would-be thieves from doing the noise maker an injury.

It often has a blue light fitted to the top of it that flashes when the siren goes off.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Cliff.. are you sure you havethe right item :confused: :confused:
    The last time I saw something that had a flashing blue light and a siren, it was following me down the road and contained to DanP's
    I try and do new things twice.. the first time to see if I can do it.. the second time to see if I like it
    Kev

personally i think its a vent for the exhaust from the kitchen/bathroom,but then again i have been known to be wrong but then again i was wrong about that to.
    kind regards
    tom armstrong
    www.kitcheninabox.com.au
    Flat Packed kitchens to the world

Well thinkin what it was while wearing the foil beany... its a post box for a very tall postman with very small sized letters!

definitely looks like a old alarm siren housing. Does it have tamper proof screws?

Its a siren cover, I havn't seen a brown one in years, add the corrosion, I'd say an old one.
    Do you have a functioning alarm? Don't answer that question or the boys will be arround to knock your place off.

On vary rare ocasions you will find a tamper switch fitted most installers can't be botherd.

Then there are the clever types. Fit a siren cover, with tamper switch and put the siren speaker somewhere else .

there may be nothing in it.

If you want to get rid of it because its uggly (& it is) either relocate the speaker somewhere else or replace it with a nice shiny new white one.

Any burgular allarm supplier will sel you one for under $20 or less.
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast