Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Angle Grinders

Thumbs down Angle Grinders

While waiting for the late trains in the 42degree heat yesterday I was speaking who tells me that he's on his way to royal perth hospital. He proceeds to tell me that a few days ago, his brother had all but cut his leg off with the cheap $40 9inch angle grinder he'd given him for xmas.

He was cutting some big limestone blocks when the disc shattered and sliced up his upper leg.

Probably a combination of a crappy tool, inexp operator, cheap disc and/or the heat.
    Cheers,

Adam

------------------------------------------

I can cure you of your Sinistrophobia

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

9" angle grinders whether cheap or expensive are something to only be used when nothing else will do the job, and then preferably by somebody else.

9 inch angle grinder = B.D.B (Big dangerous bastard). I have much respect for them - I certainly would not be using a $40 cheapo to cut something as hard as limestone blocks. your mate is lucky! did he use the right wheels ? Ie masonary rather than steel cutting ?
    Zed

I'm not sure that cheap grinders are the problem (I've been using a GMC 9" for several years with no probs) but using cheap discs is really dangerous :eek: . I've seen those cheap diamond blades explode several times when used by other people. The blade I've got on the GMC cost almost as much as the grinder but it handles anything I've thrown at it!!
    Regards
    Simon

Those things are banned on many sites now.

I have used the cheapest, crappiest 9" grinder with the cheapest, crappiest 9" blades, grinding and cutting on a daily basis for about four years, and never had a problem (tightasre boss). The only time I've ever had a blade explode in a 9" was when the foreman put a blade in it with too big a hole in the middle of the blase and no sleeve. Luckily all the bits went away from me.

Dan
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

Local TAFE had 2 brand new 9" grinders in the tool store. The teacher did not let anyone except the 4th year apprentice use them and only with grinding wheels ( definately not cutting wheels) and under his supervision. Personally I have a Hitachi at work. When nothing else will do I get it out, otherwise I will use something else.
    Have a nice day - Cheers

I always wear my welding mask when Im using grinders/metal cutoff saw not that it would do much but its better than not wearing it I suppose

9 inch grinders aren't too dangerous, but 9 inch blades in 4 inch angle grinders are. Saw one bloke where the blade had exploded and a sector struck him in the midface. His glasses were pushed into his face and he was lucky his brain was undamaged.

So buy a cheap 9 inch GMC instead.

Cheers
    Pulse

Just had to pick up one of guys from hosipital after being in for three days after a 4in ginder kicked back and graped his leg and cut about a 5in slash and a neve. It was a makita but was fitted with a bad blade and they were trying to cut ply off some bolts on a floor,

Gaza,

Sounds like he was not using it how it is meant to be used. Cutting Ply??? They are a METAL grinder. To use them for anything else is foolish. It also sounds like he was not holding it properly or using it too close to his body. Two hands with any size grinder and use them well away from the body/clothing.

I've got a scar straight into the end of my thumb from a 5" Grinder, cutting blade. Same foreman as mentioned above used to remove the guards to fit 14" cut off saw blades to the 5" when they became too small for the cut off. They would go onto the 5" (after a short stint on the 9"). But were slightly too big for the guard. I refused to use it. HE though it funny to change it over while I was welding. Thing is, I rest my thumb on the back of the guard.

End result, 3mm wide kerf full of grinding grit in end of thumb. One 5" grinder, sans guard, smashed against wall about two foot from said foreman after being thrown from one side of factory to where he was having a giggle to himself about his hilarious practical joke... :mad:

Dan
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

Used to use 9" grinders to cut long slots in masonry in aprevious life, had a cheap blade break up once. Was lucky and have refused to use cheap blades since.

I am frightened by the way that grinders are commonly used on construction sites & how they are poked & twisted into various materials with little thaight to the consiquience.

Grinder injuries are nasty ,dirty very painfull and do not heal well at all.

Cut your finder off with a nice sharp chisel, If your lucky & get a real good neuro surgen you might get it back good as new.
    Cut it off with a nice sharp table saw blade, they'll probably manage to stick it back on some how.
    Cut it of with a grinder, In NSW they wont even let you keep it for a paper weight.

couldn't agree more with soundman about the danger of angle grinders.
    i work in local government and we have virtually banned their use except by trained personnel.(need training to go to the toilet soon... i know) point is they are dangerous and most people dont appreciate their own mortality
    Anyone can start three jobs..........