Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by SAISAY View Post
    ......Great when someone sits up to late watching 100 year old moveis

I thought those movies were all silent.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Over the holidays I was able to get some time to do stage two of the shed roof insulation, stage three will be the hardest and longest due to a large amount of obstructions. This section took about three days, Each part takes:

• collect doors
    • clean and fill holes
    • measure roof (it varies by 10-15mm each door)
    • cut doors to length
    • re-insert the timber strip in the door for strength
    • sand and prep
    • undercoat
    • final coat
    • position door
    • tack on insulation
    • lift and temporarily hold in place
    • apply batten and nail in place
    • admire handiwork!

I measured the roof in direct sunlight - 50c, the surface temperature of a fitted door 43c (after a full day in the sun) and ambient temperature in the shed was a pleasant 31c. I'm looking forward to closing off the last section now and sealing around the garage doors, they let in a huge amount of air when the northerly wind blows. There is a slight variation in the ceiling colour as I'm using up aging paint from other jobs.

2013-01-07 17.05.49.jpg2013-01-07 17.04.40.jpg2013-01-07 17.06.26.jpg2013-01-07 17.08.50.jpg

Great job.
    The shed looks very smart with the white ceiling and I love the extra light.

I wondered why you were using doors instead of ply but now I understand.
    The hollow doors should also be helping the heat and noise insulation.

How did you hold the doors up while you fixed them in place? I can image you would need 8 arms or a tall mate to juggle them into place.
    Scally

It look so professional ,Clean and neat (if your looking up..mmmm) and very much need... No great job.
    I like the doors and i followed Sturdee great thread and that got me start on my shed reno.
    Just finished lining my shed. Like you I took similar measurements and I put a indoor out door thermometer in with the outside on top of the insulation and it recorded 60c+ temps. Just came in to fine the outside was 42c but inside was 28c just got keep all the door closed keep the heat out.
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f245/s...lining-132089/

Russell
    vapourforge.com

Looking good Greg.

Whilst it gives a great reduction in heat during the summer the other benefit is that it works the other way in winter. Then it keeps the heat in making it much more pleasant to work in all year round.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scally View Post
    How did you hold the doors up while you fixed them in place? I can image you would need 8 arms or a tall mate to juggle them into place.
    I have a kiwi built holderupper called Bruce that is phone activated Some of the doors I did myself on a step ladder with brooms jammed in drawers, long poles and the ubiquitous Irwin clamp or two. Lots of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by rusel View Post
    It look so professional ,Clean and neat (if your looking up..mmmm) and very much need... No great job.
    I like the doors and i followed Sturdee great thread and that got me start on my shed reno.
    Just finished lining my shed. Like you I took similar measurements and I put a indoor out door thermometer in with the outside on top of the insulation and it recorded 60c+ temps. Just came in to fine the outside was 42c but inside was 28c just got keep all the door closed keep the heat out.
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f245/s...lining-132089/

Russell
    Good looking job underway Russell. If you get the same reductions I am you will be very pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee View Post
    Looking good Greg.

Whilst it gives a great reduction in heat during the summer the other benefit is that it works the other way in winter. Then it keeps the heat in making it much more pleasant to work in all year round.

Peter.
    Thanks Peter, it is very pleasant in there without the radiated heat on my noggin. I suspect it is a lot quieter for the neighbors too which is a good thing for them.

Thanks Groggy.
    I'll get that phone number off you when I am ready to line my ceiling.
    I have trouble getting my mates to answer their phones these days!
    Scally

Groggy
    I have noticed if I leave the shed closed over night it keeps the heat in till next morning, This will be great in winter but a bugger in summer. I now open it up when I have finished for the day and it nice and cool next morning and I close it up to keep it cool for when I am ready.
    Have you found the same?
    vapourforge.com

Quote Originally Posted by rusel View Post
    Groggy
    I have noticed if I leave the shed closed over night it keeps the heat in till next morning, This will be great in winter but a bugger in summer. I now open it up when I have finished for the day and it nice and cool next morning and I close it up to keep it cool for when I am ready.
    Have you found the same?
    I used to know when the clouds moved because I could feel the heat on my head increase Now the temperature is much more stable except for the gap between the top of the roller doors and the brick wall. That is a difficult place to fix because it is a wedge shape. I intend to drop a 100mm pipe in there on a string (so I can lift it and open the door if necessary). After I insulated the roof the gap in the top of the door was immediately noticed as a major source of heat. The north wind comes in like dragon's breath. Winter I expect the reverse.

Yes I know what you mean with the roller door. Mine has a car port directly on the out side but as you pass by the door you can feel the radiating heat coming through the metal. I have no idea on how to stop this?
    As for the "dragon's breath" over the top, I like you pipe thought , For my 2 cents, my first thought was a blanket, maybe some aircell or similar drape from inside to outside of door. This way I can open it from inside or outside any time. More thought required here on this method.
    vapourforge.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12