Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
    FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Default Liogier Files Testing & Assessment by 5 experienced metalworkers

G’day

I sent a bunch of Liogier Files (French made) around a circuit of five very experienced metalworkers, to see what they thought of them. I asked them to rate the files on a scale of 1 to 5 (1=poor, 5=excellent) in each of seven categories. The averages of their results are as follows (rounded to half a point):

4.5 for file sharpness
    4 for material removal
    4 for finish left
    4 for ease of cleaning
    4 for quality of tool
    4 for overall performance
    4 for value for money

4.2 is the overall score for them as a group (i.e. non-rounded average of all categories, in order to give a single score).

The prices of the files were all listed so that the testers could assess value for money. Some comments made by the various testers:

TESTER #1
    “I have been classically trained (twice) in the use of files during a ###### apprenticeship, and as a ###### Mechanic. I now work as a professional woodworker but incorporate quite a bit of metal in my work. My skill level is as you would expect from someone having used files as a tool of trade for around 36 years. I used the “Sword” Needle file on my Japanese pull saw, and it gave it the touch up that it needed to be as sharp as hell again.

I would like the handles to have a narrower waist and higher thumbstop to get a better grip. I have a medium to largish hand (and usually make my own handles).

These files are outstanding value for money, given their low to average cost and excellent performance.”

TESTER #2
    “Liogier Files represent very good value for money, and would be best described as a "good honest file", reminiscent of what used to be available to us 30-40 years ago. Exceptions to this were the Saw File 250x25x5 (used as a "Dead Smooth" in draw filing) which was very impressive, as was the Chain Saw File which I would like to see available in bigger diameters of 8, 10 & 12mm. The other exception (on the other end of the scale) was the Needle Files which I found performed poorly.

The standard issue European Beech handles were a very good shape for my average sized hand, and for some of my techniques.

I would classify myself as an amateur metalworker and very regular forum contributor. My skill level is thought by myself to be God like, but said by others to be pathetic.

TESTER #3
    Made no comments, but gave average scores of 4.5.

TESTER #4
    Made no comments, but gave average scores of 3.8.

TESTER #5
    “Compared to an equivalent Valorbe and Nicholson, the tool was 35% thicker, and hence twice as rigid, which allowed a deft touch with the tool while still removing metal (cold rolled steel, cast iron and aluminium). Compared to my new control specimens of Nicholson, Valorbe and a German brand these French files are an order of magnitude better. From lack of skipping, smooth and uniform cutting and rigidity, they excel

Wood handles, even that bland Euro beech, are about thirty years better than whatever passes for a handle (if any) supplied by anyone else.

I was the last tester in the chain and hence some damage would have been expected. I saw next to none. Impressive!”

My thanks go to the testers for their time and energy. In no particular order they were:
    Hughie
    Claw Hama
    Chris Vesper
    Greg_Q
    PeteF

None of the testers received anything for their efforts.

I must say that after the files had gone around this circuit for six months (where they went through many more hands than just the official testers) I fully expected them to be looking pretty tired, at best. To my great surprise they are all still in very good condition.

The range of Liogier Files available is:
    173 Engineer’s Files (double cut)
    46 Milled Files (single milled)
    45 Saw Sharpening Files (Single cut for better finish)
    66 Needle Files (double cut)
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Well done Brett, that was a marathon effort to get all that information and bring it down to one number
    Instagram: mark_aylward
    www.solidwoodfurniture.com.au

A good edge takes a little sweat!!

Last year, I visited a file maker in Germany near Regensburg. He was the last one making files. But he is giving up. He only makes special "files" (for paper gripping/feeding) upon request. He told me, that the "German" files like Dick and Pferd are all made in India. And these are all crap. I still remember old German files. If you compare them with new ones, you'll start crying.
    A few of the files (don't remember wether it was Dick or Pferd or both of them) are made at Vallorbe.

Maybe he will sell a few of his file making machines? At least, I would like to have one.

Nick