Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Well it looks really good so far. When you come to do the variable spacing it would be very nice if one of the options was the ability to grasp one of the tails and move it to the position you want it to be in.

Is there any way of changing the tightness of the fit or is that done by lying to the program about what you want .

I can see this making you a nice amount of money unless it is easily stolen. Can you get Brian to use the same license for this as he does for Mach3 -- soon to be 4?

PS One other thought, could you put a graphical representation of the cutter angles on the screen? I have quite a few dovetail cutters and they aren't marked as being of any particular angle.
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Is there any way of changing the tightness of the fit or is that done by lying to the program about what you want .
    I'll have a space to enter a clearance amount. I just haven't gotten to it yet. Still quite a few things that need to get added to the interface.

When you come to do the variable spacing it would be very nice if one of the options was the ability to grasp one of the tails and move it to the position you want it to be in.
    Probably no chance of this happening. I'm not a programmer, and it would probably take me weeks to figure out how to do that.

I can see this making you a nice amount of money unless it is easily stolen. Can you get Brian to use the same license for this as he does for Mach3 -- soon to be 4?
    I do plan on implementing some type of licensing scheme. Possibly where I'd generate license codes based on an auto generated serial number?
    Pirates are going to steal it regardless of the method you use, though. License codes probably just keep friends from passing it around .
    Since I've been selling a screenset for the last 2 years, I've found the Mach community to be a very honest bunch. Since the vast majority of Mach3 users have paid for a license, they don't have a problem paying a little extra to be more productive. I've even had users buy extra copies of my screenset as gifts for their friends.

But I'm a bit more leery with a standalone app, so I need to come up with something.

PS One other thought, could you put a graphical representation of the cutter angles on the screen? I have quite a few dovetail cutters and they aren't marked as being of any particular angle.
    Not sure I understand you here? Do you just want a drawing with dimensions showing where the angle is measured?
    I'm probably going to add a tool table, where you can select pre defined tools from. I can probalby do what you want there, if I know exactly what you're looking for?
    Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by Ger21 View Post
    Not sure I understand you here? Do you just want a drawing with dimensions showing where the angle is measured?
    I meant two lines on the screen that showed the angle that was selected so that I could physically hold my cutter to the screen and check the angle against it. Very clunky I know, but how else can I measure the angle of the dovetail cutter?

I can physically measure the diameter of the top of the cutter and the bottom of the cutter and then the length of the cutter and enter that into a formula for working the angles out for me. Maybe that is a better way to go and it won't be difficult for you to implement.
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Willson View Post
    I meant two lines on the screen that showed the angle that was selected so that I could physically hold my cutter to the screen and check the angle against it. Very clunky I know, but how else can I measure the angle of the dovetail cutter?
    Draw the different angles in your CAD program, and print them out full scale, and compare your bits to the print? Everyone using a CNC router has a CAD program, don't they?
    I'll need to create a fairly comprehensive manual, and I can add the drawings to the manual for you. Much easier than programming to draw them on the screen.
    Gerry

The second suggestion I made would be the better of the two. Everybody has a vernier gauge and this would probably be a lot more accurate than a visual guestimate would be
    Bob Willson

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Willson View Post
    Hi Ger

Has there been any more progress on this yet? Any and all information will be good to get.
    It seems that as I move forward, the list of needed options grows longer and longer. But I think I have enough options to satisfy most users right now. And I actually generated a little g-code.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gerry

Looking good Ger

Once you have the basics the rest will flow a lot more easily.

You could release the first bit (blind dovetails) and then add the rest as you develop it at no extra charge to the early uptakers.
    Bob Willson

I did some test cuts to make sure I was on the right track.
    Here's the video on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDmBcpON3Zo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ger21; 3rd January 2013 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Added Video link
    Gerry

You do appear to be on the right track.
    Bob Willson

Gerry, as usual your doing great work.

I like how this wizard has come along. What price point were you looking to sell this wizard at. I'll buy it for sure.
    Beats having to use jigs

Nice video.

So to get this in my head, the application will provide everything up to the GCODE (output). If so, you must have a number of post processors inbuilt?
    From there you import the file into Mach3 and run the job.

I see there is a section on machine setup, does this allow orientation of the piece to be machined? I see in the video you have it machining across the X-axis and into the Y-axis. Can this be swapped?
    I would be led to believe that there is some tool type database setup in your wizard too for the roughing and dovetail tool?

Quote Originally Posted by seafurymike View Post
    Nice video.
    Thanks.

So to get this in my head, the application will provide everything up to the GCODE (output). If so, you must have a number of post processors inbuilt?
    From there you import the file into Mach3 and run the job.
    Yes, it outputs ready to run g-code.
    As it's mainly targeted at Mach3 users, there are not multiple post processors. But there are several options to tailor the g-code to your liking. It's very basic g-code, so it should run on other machine controls.

I see there is a section on machine setup, does this allow orientation of the piece to be machined? I see in the video you have it machining across the X-axis and into the Y-axis. Can this be swapped?
    Yes, with a single mouse click. I'll actually be using it along the Y axis, but it was easier to test this way.

I would be led to believe that there is some tool type database setup in your wizard too for the roughing and dovetail tool?
    There will be, but I haven't gotten to that yet.

I have a rough idea of price, but don't want to discuss it until it's ready.
    Gerry

Is this continuing to progress?

I was thinking exactly the same thing myself.
    Get it out and start raking in the money.

PS welcome to the board Terry.
    Bob Willson

Ger21,

Certainly very interesting, keep us all posted on updates and release
    Great work.

Thanks
    Tony.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast