Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Blades arrived yesterday - real beauties! The skew in particular is an impressive/scary hunk of steel!

Many thanks TS for organising this - a huge organisational task which I don't underestimate - and Ray & Josh for their effort/craftsmanship to produce such fantastic pieces.

As others have said, the blades' classiness puts the pressure on me to produce fitting plane bodies!

Cheers
    Si

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Thanks for the finished blade.

My Blades arrived a day ago,

Thanks to all involved.
    They are fantastically made and finished.

Andy T

Any more on the way? Just getting envious.
    I am learning, slowley.

Here's some more blade envy for you Pagie. Mine arrived yesterday. Beautifully crafted. Very sharp off the grinder and very little work to do to get them honed and super sharp.
    Thanks to all involved.
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

Thankyou, you will be pleased to know that the Firmer Chisel are well under way, and are coming up nice, I just wish I had ordered a set now....

The following will be posted this afternoon:
    Orraloon
    daninjt

All the orders have been packed but some are being held back (NeilS and Pagie(sorry)) a couple of days so that tuning chisel can be included as this keeps the postage cost down.

The following people have not confirmed the current delivery address (PM's Sent)
    (ANU) Steve Holloway
    nick_b00
    Kman-oz
    Rat52
    Trizza
    HarryR

Just to wet the appetite; here is pic of the 45mm firmer chisels after they been ground flat top bottom and sides to final dimension. They still need to have 0.5 degree taper and bevel ground but that will be done in sets (Note: if anyone wants not to have the taper let me know before Tuesday 27th Nov. attached image for reference.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brobdingnagian View Post
    All the orders have been packed but some are being held back (NeilS and Pagie(sorry)) a couple of days so that tuning chisel can be included as this keeps the postage cost down.
    No apologies required.

Combining all items in the one parcel is the way to go.

PS - I also have 4 turning scraper tips to be added to my plane and chisel blades...
    Stay sharp and stay safe!

Neil

Plane blades were waiting for me when I arrived home this evening, and I'm very impressed.
    Ray, Josh and Helmut are all to be commended on their fine work and dedication.

When I get time to build some wooden planes & shaves, I'll post some pics of the results.

Thanks again boys

Default Impressed!

Hi
    I got mine yesterday and totally agree with the comments to date as the quality is amazing.

Looking forward to the firmer chisels, especially with the little tease photo.

Well done to all those who have brought this together.

Just one question regarding the plane - what are the qualities required for the type of timber?

Kapex

Quote Originally Posted by Kapex View Post

Just one question regarding the plane - what are the qualities required for the type of timber?

Kapex
    Other people would be able to answer this better than me as I have only made one wooden plane, I made mine out of Mountain Ash because that's what I had to hand at the time, but I would guess that most Australian hardwoods would do a good job. I have a piece of sheoak set aside for plane as it is hard and very stable.

-Josh

All the better to get a bigger parcel. They look good.
    I am learning, slowley.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapex View Post

Kapex

Kapex

I am pretty much in the same boat as you, although like Josh I have made one plane before, which was a 1" shoulder plane out of Ironbark.

I had a post all ready to go this afternoon and must have leant on the mouse 'cos it all disappeared . I have only now settled down enough to try again.

I had started to lean in the same direction as Josh has suggested in that go for hardwoods, but really we should stipulate dense woods for the wear factor. Balsa, for example, would likely be a poor performer! I intend to lean towards the species that are denser than 1000Kg/m3, but am very willing to hear from other people's experiences.

I think Terry Gordon's (HNT Gordon and Co Classic Plane Makers Australia) website is an excellent reference and I never tire of oggling the beautiful planes he produces. I have four of them, all in gidgee.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Virtually any timber is suitable. Beech the European favourite and Japanese Oak are in the 500 - 600 kg range and work fine and will outlast you and probably the blade. Rock Maple is popular and that is still relatively light. The greater problem is dimensional stability. As long as your timber is over the 500 mark and is preferable quarter sawn, you will be fine.

Otherwise a denser timber can always be laminated to the sole, jarrah and brush box work well.

One of the best Krenov planes I ever saw was made from Oak draw fronts, salvaged from an antiquate, re-machined and laminated back together and soled with brush box. Never moved a day in its life, or so it was claimed.

Post photos of what ever you do.

P.s. If it's your first plane, it need not be a master piece and it may take you a few trials before you unravel the nuances of plane making. Safe the flamed Ebony for the day you can do it justice. James even after many years of practice was known to make the occasional dud that not even his seduction could ever make it sing.

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking of Myrtle originally and it seems to meet the criteria.

I will now have to find some suitable pieces and have a go.

Kapex

Default taper

The taper for my blade please. Would blackwood be any good for plane bodies?
    I am learning, slowley.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagie View Post
    The taper for my blade please. Would blackwood be any good for plane bodies?
    Just to clarify the taper is on the firmer chisels not the plane blades.
    -Josh

Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast