Page 31 of 53 FirstFirst ... 21262728293031323334353641 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RayG View Post
    Hi Chris,

Mystery solved... I need to talk with Helmut and check a couple of things, but I'm happy to let you have one of mine. Trezza is the only one who we couldn't get in touch with.

Regards
    Ray
    Thanks Ray.

EDIT: I had intended to build a plane around the blade, so thickness isn't critical.
    Chris
    ========================================

Life isn't always fair

....................but it's better than the alternative.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Ray,
    I was wondering how you were traveling with the chisels and the journey we have all been on to get to we're we are? It has been taking a while to get there and while I'm not totally aware of all the issues you have had to contend with in the grinding process, I can well imagine that you have struck unexpected problems and complications since offering your services with your 'new toy' some time back.
    From my perspective and personal experiences the critical word there is probably "..new toy". I'm assuming that, as I have experienced, while the intentions where good and the desire was keen, the actual technicalities of achieving the grinding of the chisels in a profitable manner has long passed and the reality of earning a living has pushed this somewhat altruistic endeavour to the lower end of the priority list. This is not a problem for me as I know life will demand and dictate our actions sometimes even though it means we have to grin and bare the embarrassing public pressure, which I must say you have done with an admirable stoic resilience.
    So, with the assumption of knowing your position and empathising with you can I ask you to offer me some options with regard to the chisels? I'm sure others would be of a similar persuasion because the reality is that it has been so long since the money was paid it isn't really a critical issue anymore, it's more about holding these unique chisels that we have set our desires on having and using.
    i am quite open to any of the following options, and if you have other suggestions please let me know.
    1- Would a further contribution of money assist with your costs of jigging and completing the grinding process? or
    2- are the smaller chisels proving to difficult to grind and you would appreciate it if we accepted them as is and grind our own side and cutting bevels? or
    3- if technically it's not a problem is it just rousing support and encouragement you need from the silent majority who appreciate the perfection your trying to achieve, to just bite the bullet and spend some days(?) getting it done and over with? (With some option 1 included)
    If you have another variation on the options please let me know, otherwise I would appreciate your thoughts on the above ramblings as the first set of chisels I received demonstrated your desire for perfection and I am really looking forward to holding my paring chisels and parting the fibres on a cooperative piece of timber.
    All the best
    Mick

Thanks Mick,

I appreciate your understanding and patience.. we are on the last lap of the project, and only the small paring chisels left to go.. and you are correct in the assumption that they turned out to be the most difficult.

At this stage it's just about getting the time, without interruptions and distractions to finish. So I appreciate the options you've listed, but the best approach is to just finish everything as planned. (Option 3 )

Thanks for the comments about the firmer chisels, ( any pictures?) it's that sort of positive feedback that helps keep the motivation levels up.

Ray

PS chrisb691, I missed your PM a few days ago.., all I got was a message saying my inbox was full. Now empty, so try again.

Hi All, progress update..

No promises, but I'm taking the next couple of weeks off work, and I hope to get close to finishing the bevel edge chisels..

Ray

Default Plane Blades

Hi All!

I apologise for posting here, but thought this might be a logical place to start. I am hoping somebody here might point me in the direction of somebody who could help me get a couple of odd blades made for a two hand planes.
    Can anyone here assist?

The first is a replacement blade for a Carter 1C (like a Stanley #10, but wider) and the other is a heavy duty blade for a #4, cambered for use as a scrub plane.

Even if I could just find suitable metal, I can drill file and shape these myself, but I have no idea where to start for such metal. If the metal is a bit thicker than the original Stanleys, even better!

Thanks,

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius View Post
    Hi All!

I apologise for posting here, but thought this might be a logical place to start. I am hoping somebody here might point me in the direction of somebody who could help me get a couple of odd blades made for a two hand planes.
    Can anyone here assist?

The first is a replacement blade for a Carter 1C (like a Stanley #10, but wider) and the other is a heavy duty blade for a #4, cambered for use as a scrub plane.

Even if I could just find suitable metal, I can drill file and shape these myself, but I have no idea where to start for such metal. If the metal is a bit thicker than the original Stanleys, even better!

Thanks,

Craig
    Hi Craig,

You can buy O1 tool steel from victornet.com, http://www.victornet.com/departments...Fluids/80.html flat ground stock is what you are looking for. It comes in annealed form, and you have to heat treat it after you've machined it to the shape you want.

I can help you out with the heat treatment and finish grinding... ( but not, I hasten to add, until after I finish the chisels.. )

Ray

Craig a few pointers. The max thickness a Stanley style bench plane is a 3 mm maximum. Any more you will need to make a custom yoke, so that it will engage with the chip breaker, through the thicker blade.

As for the scrub plane, you can use any thickness as long as you are happy to throw out / remove the lateral lever and the yoke. I have considered doing the same to a #4 or #5, however i would drill a cross bar into the body and then use a wedge or custom lever cap. That way you can have a solid blade without the need for cut outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius View Post
    Hi All!

Can anyone here assist?

Thanks,

Craig

Default Closest Match

Ray,

Thanks very much. The 7/64 looks like the closest match to the original Carter blades. I'll keep looking for a thicker metal blade for the scrub plane.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by RayG View Post
    Hi All, progress update..

No promises, but I'm taking the next couple of weeks off work, and I hope to get close to finishing the bevel edge chisels..

Ray
    And how much progress was made?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray153 View Post
    And how much progress was made?
    Hi Ray,

We got all the chisels flattened and sides ground to width, and the tang lead in radius ground. The 4.5mm chisels are going to be undersized because of the water jet cutting, some more than others..

Not sure what the best option is with the 4.5mm, We could re-specify some as 4 mm? I'd be interested in hearing some feedback on the best solution.

Next job is setting up the side bevels... while we have a bit of a run going, we will stick with it...

Regards
    Ray

PS.. Here's an example of the problem with the 4.5mm chisels and the water jet cutting.

IMG_0808.jpg

If they have to be 4mm, then they have to be 4mm. That is my opinion only though. Presumably that will mean a narrower flat on the top surface between the beveled edges though?

Unimpressed with the water jet cutting company and the money we have paid them however. According to TS on 12/2/13, first they cut up the wrong piece of steel which they then charge us to replace, and then they cut more blanks than we ordered and we pay again. Pretty ordinary all round in my view.

If the 4.5 are under size then that what will have to be. I have some Japanese chisels, they are sold as Xmm however they are often up to 0.3mm plus or minus their stated size. This does not affect the performance of the chisel.

Thanks Helmut,

Seven of the eleven sets will be within that spec. leaving 4 sets that will be closer to 4.0mm than 4.5mm I guess the best option would be to ask..

ChiselSizes.JPG

The 3.0 mm width was no problem, all of them came out right on the money.

Ray

Personally, it would bother me not if they were 4mm, 4.1, etc, or 4.5. For me, if the tool is too small then the next up will work. If too big, them the next smallest will be my option.

Cheers
    Bevan
    There ain't no devil, it's just god when he's drunk!!

Tom Waits

I'm with Bevan, it no matter the size, just use a bigger or smaller chisel depending on the job.

Good work Ray, I'm looking forward to seeing these chisels.

regards
    Mick