Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmiller View Post
    Or is it Prussian blue?

Regards
    Paul
    yeap, Rocol's layout ink. The bottle came with an MSDS 200 billion pages long because its solvent is acetone. *sigh*

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Here are a couple of more pics, I'm grinding the bevels today. One picture is the setup to grind the 25 degree bevel, works real nice, the very flat back and mag transfer block means that the mag block acts as a heat sink and along with the coolant keeps every thing nice and cool no heating of the cutting tip at all. and with a light pass with a freshly dressed wheel they come off as sharp as they would off a 2000 grit stone.

The other if you look close you can see where i have put the dashed line to show where the taper has stopped and needs to be finished off.

-J
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ooooooooooh!

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Hello All

I am sending you this PM to get your feed back on a few details. It is important that you respond with an opinion.
    This PM is specifically regarding the firmer chisels and is separate to the paring chisels. Josh recently posted an updated in the thread regarding his taper grinding of the firmers.

The timber for the handles has been delivered to , who is waiting on the ferrule and socket so he can start his turning. RayG will send the brass socket. I have been looking into the ferrule material. George White here in Melbourne sells the following brass tube that would suit our needs.

Brass Tube - Round

Diameter - 22.220 mm
    x wall - 1.630 mm (thickness of the tube wall)

We will need about 2.5 meters for all the ferrules.

George White wants $31 plus GST per meter which comes $77.5 plus GST OR $85.25 inc. GST

We would need to cut the brass tube up, we can send it to a general engineering company (We can use Parish Engineering Company PTY.LTD. who did the sockets) who could cut it for us at 15 mm intervals so that all that we need to do was fit. However Parish Engineering Company PTY.LTD. seem to be still on xmas holiday.

Handle Design

I need you to look at the handle design, specifically at the 33 mm market at the widest point of the bulge. is however concerned that it is to fat. What do you think, measure your favourite chisel at its widest point and see if its lesser than or greater then 33 mm.

We are entering the final run for the Firmer Chisels. and Tea Lady are itching to get started so get back to me or post in the thread asap.

Default Plane Blades and Chisels ( A progress report )

30-31mm for the thickest part of the handles works for me.
    33mm will make them a little chunky based on my medium sized hands and the H&S chisels I handle most days.

31ish is good for me, but no great trouble if others want larger dia.
    TM

30-31 mm feels good to those that have tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by thumbsucker View Post
    Brass Tube - Round

Diameter - 22.220 mm
    x wall - 1.630 mm (thickness of the tube wall)

We will need about 2.5 meters for all the ferrules.

George White wants $31 plus GST per meter which comes $77.5 plus GST OR $85.25 inc. GST

We would need to cut the brass tube up, we can send it to a general engineering company (We can use Parish Engineering Company PTY.LTD. who did the sockets) who could cut it for us at 15 mm intervals so that all that we need to do was fit. However Parish Engineering Company PTY.LTD. seem to be still on xmas holiday.

I have quite a lot of 22.22mm x 0.9mm brass tube. Slightly thinner walls, but price would be competetive. Could also cut to length if required.

Had a little play this morning. The 0.9mm wall thickness is fine to my eye, I don't think you need to go heavier.

I reckon I could supply, part to length, debur and cover postage for $80. And have it all in the mail on Monday.

Hello All Taking Part in the Firmer Chisels

This PM is regarding the ferrule for the firmer chisels only. burraboy has offered to make the ferrules for us from brass tube stock he has. It is however almost half as thick at 0.9mm then the stock I intended to use at 1.630 mm. My personal preference is for the heaver stock tube matching a heavy firmer chisel. Time is not a critical factor.

I have also sent a request to Parish Engineering who did the sockets for us yesterday morning regarding the ferrules.

Would you prefer 0.9 mm thick walled ferrules. OR 1.630 mm thick walled ferrules for your firmer chisel.

Default Chisel Thickness

So far THREE (Christos, Harry R, ???) want to go with the 33 mm for the widest point on the chisel handle THREE more are happy with the group decision and the REMAINDER prefer the 31 mm.

chambezio, Zvon, gnu52 & Kapex wants the thicker 1.630 mm x-wall on the ferrule waiting on others. (via PM)

Hi Thumbsucker,

my preference is as with others, 31mm is comfortable for me and I would prefer the heavier ferrule at 1.6mm.

Regards
    Mick

Ferrules

It is unanimous that everyone wants the thicker ferrules.

I got an email back from Parish Engineering its allot more costly then I had hoped. To much in fact. The want $4.10 per ferrule including brass tube cost. Making a total of $4.10 per ferrule TIMES 120 ferrules comes to $492.

If we buy the brass tube direct from George White who wants $31 plus GST per meter which comes $77.5 plus GST OR $85.25 inc. GST

for 2.5 meters. That means the material cost is $85.25 for the brass DIVIDED by 120 comes to $0.68541666666667 per ferrule.

I have to think of another option.

Wood For Chisel Handles

Another box of W.A. Sheoak is on its way to to be used for the paring chisels. I have a small box of QLD Maple and Tassy Olive that I am sending as well this means that all the timber for the firmer and paring chisels have been sorted.

As soon as & Tea Lady get the brass socket they can get started on the paring chisels handles and once we sort out he ferrules they can start on the firmer chisel handles.

Shortfall

I will be sending out a PM to everyone who is taking part in the firmer and paring chisel order with details for collecting the shortfall.

Last Set of Paring Chisels

We have one last set of 8 paring chisels left. If you are interested PM me. We need to get rid of this set. I am happy to split it into two small sets of four consisting of 3mm, 4.5mm, 6mm, & 9mm. The second set consisting of 12mm, 15mm, 20mm, & 25mm.

Helmut
    Just as a thought. Would there be any turners in the Metalwork Forum that would be interested in parting off the brass rod for us?
    Just do it!

Kind regards Rod

Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast