Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thumbs down Aqua Tile Tileboard waterproof membrane???

After speaking to the experts on the various Cusomer Helplines and getting the usual :confused:, I once again call on the only EXPERIENCE based resouce... Woodwork Forums Members

I have decided to use Gunnersons Aqua Tile Tileboard in the bathroom.
    It is to be adhered to Fibre Cement walls. (new, unpainted)
    Gunnersons recommend Selleys solvent based liquid nails as the adhesive. (Warranty depends on using their recommended products) over a suitable:confused: waterproofing membrane. Gunnersons wont recommend a suitable membrane.
    They told me to ring Crommelins. Crommelins (waterproofing membrane manufacturers) told me that none of their products is suitable for use with a solvent based adhesive, and told me to use Acrylic adhesive. (thereby voiding warranty)
    Selleys say dont use Liquid Nails, use Mirror Metal Glass Silicon adhesive. (Thereby voiding warranty). :confused::eek::mad::mad::mad:

At this stage I am desperate so I ring Parbury who make a similar Tile sheet product. Their brochure says "Ensure adhesive is compatible to waterproofing membrane" , they say over the phone, "use Bondcrete", one of the products that Crommelins make and told me was useless under solvent based adhesives, which include Parburys Ceramilite Adhesive, Liquid nails, Maxibond etc.
    Bondcrete also does not qualify as a waterproofing mebrane for local authority regulations.
    Eventually Parburys say ring Parchem. (they make Parburys adhesive)
    Parchem say that they don't make a compatible membrane for solvent adhesives, try Norcroff. Norcrof are not even listed in the damned phone book :mad:.

I looked in the archives and found posts by Scooter, gnu52, , but no reference to waterproofing membranes.

Has anyone actually used these tile sheet products with waterprooofing membranes under the adhesive? If so PLEASE tell me which ones go together while I still have a little hair left.
    Thanking you all in advance
    Phill.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Phil
    personally I don't use liquid nails etc on any thing that's meant to be permanent. It has a habit of going hard and brittle with heat and time and then letting go if bumped, bashed or subjected to vibration. I would use a polyurethane adhesive/sealant like Bostik Matrix or Sikaflex 291. However that still won't solve your warranty issue.

I'm also not a fan of these "tile" sheet products as they look like they are just resin impregnated masonite to me. For sheeting wet areas I've always used lamipanel from Laminex. It's now called "Wet Area Panelling" from Laminex (Why do manufacturers do this, change the name of stuff that's been around for ever to make it sound trendier?)

Anyway Laminex won't warrant its performance unless you stick it up with their glue (similar to liquid nails) but I've succesfully stuck literally pallet loads of the stuff up in boats on aluminium (and some timber) framing using polyurethane sealant/adhesive. Getting stuff to stay stuck on aluminium in smallish boats (25 metres) that are constantly in use, crashing through waves, being vibrated by several diesel motors all day long and putting up with the expansion and contraction of the aluminium is a hell of a lot more demanding than just staying stuck to a membrane in a steamy bathroom.

Laminex also don't want you to fix it over sheeting (fibro etc) and a waterproof membrane from memory. Usually my approach is to do whatever the manufacturer says in order to be covered by their warranty, however in the case of bathrooms where consequential damages are going to be substantially higher than the cost of their product (which is all their warranty is generally limited to) I do what I know works so that I can sleep at night. So unless you can find a manufacturer or supplier to give you a comprehensive warranted system of sheeting, adhesive and membrane I'd recommend Lamipanel stuck on with Bostik Matrix over a waterproof membrane. If you decide to go this way I'll post some tips to make it easier.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick
    If you decide to go this way I'll post some tips to make it easier.Mick
    Please do Mick!

I will be attempting to renovate my bathroom soon also using Lamipanel, is it sturdy enough to be used on the floor?

Looking forward to your tips.
    The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
    Albert Einstein

Mark,
    never heard of or thought of using it on a floor, be a bit slippery and would need to be fully bedded down in/on something, I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Thumbs up

I have done up many bathrooms and have used both products,the sealing membrane is only used in the internal corners ,i dont follow manufacturers recommendations on the type of adhesive to use as they are too confusing and misleading in their instrustions ,i use normal plasterboard adhesive but first i rough up the back of the sheet where the glue is going to line up with studs and noggings with a 4 inch (100mm) angle grinder to give the glue more purchase surface,i have found over time that it is a good idea to also put more noggings into the wall to give it a bit more feel of stability,usually plastic joining strips go into the corners but you can butt join the sheets just as well,just be sure that you cover the entire length of the sheet in the corner with adhesive so as to not to get any loose areas
    kind regards
    tom armstrong
    www.kitcheninabox.com.au
    Flat Packed kitchens to the world

Mick, I am seriously considering scrapping the "comply with warranty" idea and going for what is going to give me the best job. Thanks for the tip on Liquid nails going off in time. Didn't know that. I used it to glue 4 limestone blocks (240Kg each) on end onto my concrete verandah as pillars. Hope that never gives up.
    I was talking to a bloke in a tile shop today and he suggested using the glue that is used to stick Gyprock to studs. Toms post also suggests something similar (thanks Tom) but I am not gluing to studs, F/cement sheets instead. He recons it is the best glue he has come across. As I have never used it, what is you opinion on that stuff? Is it likely to cause discoloration of the Silicon grouting like Liquid nails does?
    Is it as good as Polyurethane for wall paneling? I used Polyurethane to glue my toilet bowl to the floor, which has fibro cement on it, and it worked really well. If I remember correctly the one I used had to have a solvent applied first and it cost about $40 for a little tin. Does that sound like the stuff you use?
    What waterproofing membrane do you use under Polyurethane?

Tom, what waterproofing membrane is compatible with Plasterboard glue?

Lamipanel as far as I can see is only solid colour sheets and the wife has her heart set on a particular tile in the Aquatile range, so kinda stuck with the product selection.
    Please do post the TIPS as they probably hold true for these sheets as well?
    Second last question, someone reconed I should use BONDBREAKER tape in the corners but the instructions don't mention that at all. What do you do?

Finally, as the fibre cement sheets that I am gluing to do not go quite all the way into the corners, should I use plastic moulding strip corners instead of trying to "Grout" with silicon into a corner that will not have a firm backing?

Thanks gents.

Phill.

Thumbs up

Tom, what waterproofing membrane is compatible with Plasterboard glue?

Any of the membranes are compatable with the glue,i would set plastic corners into the corners to make sure that any water that does happen to get past the silicone to run bach into the rim of the bath,as you are fixing to ac sheeting i would use a 10mm tiling trowel to apply the gyprock adhesive and press the aqua panel firmley into the glue ,it probably would be wise to use a peice of timber and rub over the panel to make sure that it is fully imbedded into the glue,
    hope this helps
    kind regards
    tom armstrong
    www.kitcheninabox.com.au
    Flat Packed kitchens to the world

Thanks for the tips. I will go for plasterboard glue over a membrane and plastic corners.

Phill.

Smile Painting lamipanel

Great discussion fellas.

Trust me lamipanel does come in a range of patterns (or should I say did-maybe they saw the light and removed them from their range). We have the lovely cream/caramel marble in our bathroom.

As lovely as the marble look lamipanel is it just doesn't suit our bathroom . Has anyone had any experience painting it?

Thanks.

G'day all, i'm also going to use some of this "Wet Area Panelling" for the shower over bath and want to put it straight over the old tiles.

Is this possible, or should i remove the tiles first and glue it directly over the fibro walls? I was thinking of scoring the old tiles with a diamond blade angle grinder to provide a key and then glueing the sheets directly over it.

The extra thickness of the sheets over tiles won't be a problem because the panelling will now be over the lip of the bath - the bath was never recessed against the wall so the tiles are right on the lip. Of course i'll have to firstly remove the shower screen and change the plumbing fittings.

Thanks for any advice