Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Hi folks it's been a time i haven't been working on this coach much so i'll get back to it this is the gears with some new parts added tha safty bolt and som work that don't show much i hape you had a good year i had a good time it's been real cold here so that kept me out of the shop for the most of 2 months that's like giveing up Beer, lol
    Gary....

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

The chassis is really looking the part now. Look forward to the rest of the build.

Thanks Digger, i'll get it going i have the sides readdy and have the door latchs just got to put them in
    Gary....

Hi Gary coming along nicely,its good to see the steel work which is correct instead of the brass,keep up the good work.

Eddie.

Hi all i'm going to be back at work on the Coach soon i just got side tracked on a Chuck Wagon i need for display, but it's spring here now tho one wouldn't know it to day a cold north wind but soon it will be a110 i'm not looking forward to that....
    Gary......

I know that feeling something always sidetracking you, but at least it is building models in your case so not so bad. I am trying to finish some of the started projects that I have started. As fast as I finish one there is something else I want to build

Well i got back to work on the coach yesterday got the sides togather worked all day but went to the shop this morning and just was not happy with the framing i did and wood i used so after all the work i did i gave it some thought i was just never that happy with some things about the body.. i tryed to say it would be ok but it's hard to lye to ones salf for long! so this morning i just set it aside and started a new one i got some of the framing cut out and i all reddy feal better about it the gears is a big part of one and i'm ok with them so i'll get the new body done in no time.. ever keep going on something you new in your heart you should just (stop) i just wish i would have been harder on mysalf! it would have saved be alot of time....
    Gary....

crowie is online now Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

You are too hard on yourself Gary, but we're looking forward to the photos as progress continues, thank you. Cheers, crowie

well heres the start of the new coach this is the studs for the sides for some reasen i want to call them ribs.. that's what they look like...any way i've got a good start on getting back.to where i was.....more to come...
    Gary....

this is the curve of the bottom you need 6 of these then as you can see the foot well has not been cut out. you can see the splines that hold the wood togather i'm sure all know this but, make sure your grain runs up and down if it runs with the grain theres no saport and it's useless loke my spilling, ....
    Gary.....

ok heres one side framed i do each side at the same time that way i can keep every thing in line at thia point, you need to make your frameing real strong, because your going to use it to bend your skin over it to shape it...here you see i have went away from the plan and but each plate togather in the plan it shows a space with blocking (but) the way i have done it here is like a house, i block inbetween each stud then i shoot a pin in as many ways as i can i allso rap the frame with a 1/8''th by 5/8'' pice of alder, i soak in water so i can bend it all the way around the coach...this adds 1/4'' to your coach in length and for the added look and strength i'll do it the old ones they diden't want the weight (but) if you look at a old concord coach, you'll see at the bottom and up to the curve is a mold but it's just for looks.. me i take it all the way is all.. some would call me out for this if they look.. just to make a point,
    Gary....

here is the hard part the skin is 1/8'' alder and theres not much to work with so this is the 5th time i've soaked these sides i have a mold i use the first 3 times i made it so i can do each end at a time it's a slow go on most of these coachs....
    Gary....

i'm a little ahead of my salf here but this is where i'm at to day i thought i had photos of be shapeing the sides that's way i use 1/8th'' is so when i smooth out the curves they have some meet on by the time i get them round there to scale, in thicknes, all the trim you see on one of these coaches has got to curve with the body so i bend them on the same form, and i have jigs cut to bend all the door and window trim. all the flat curve i cut on a band saw with a 1/4'' blade then bend on by form...all the curve you see on main part of the body is cut on a band sew you cut it flat one way then hold it and let it bow as you feed it in the saw it's the only way i know how to do it is free hand then sand on a drum .....
    Gary.....

this will show you the raparound band i was talking about see what a nice look and this is where the lather straps the Coach sway and rock on this gets a metel strip on it up to where the driver boot hooks on and the luggage rack hooks on.. it don't have the foot pan on yet that goes on next it hangs down from the inside like a car the floor boards or down lower then the bottom of the door... and that forms the back side of where the lather sway strap...
    Gary.....

Thanks Gary,
    Its still amazing.
    Good WIP with a good explanation.
    When are you going to draw the plans up and sell them to the rest of us?

Peter

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast