Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Ziricote Help Please

Hi everyone!

Hope I'm asking the right people?

I have discovered a Ziricote Guitar Fret Board for sale online from the USA and I'm not sure if I can get this into Australia? Can anyone please tell me if there are any legal restrictions regarding the import of a small peice of this wood?
    Kind regards
    Tabatha

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

tabatha, ive bought ziricote into aus. from the u.s before with no problems at all.

as long as there is no bug holes or bark, and being a fretboard i really hope there isnt,

you should be right.

Quote Originally Posted by bench1holio View Post
    tabatha, ive bought ziricote into aus. from the u.s before with no problems at all.

as long as there is no bug holes or bark, and being a fretboard i really hope there isnt,

you should be right.
    Thank you so much.
    I couldn't find any info anywhere.
    Cheers
    Tabatha

Default Re: Ziricote Help Please

Yea I've brought some in before. Great stuff. You shouldn't have any troubles

Quote Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
    Hi everyone!

Hope I'm asking the right people?

I have discovered a Ziricote Guitar Fret Board for sale online from the USA and I'm not sure if I can get this into Australia? Can anyone please tell me if there are any legal restrictions regarding the import of a small peice of this wood?
    Kind regards
    Tabatha
    Hi Tabitha,

Sorry I dont know anything about the import laws.

I made a bridge and fingerboard with ziricote. When I oiled them the grain blended togather. I was very disapointed. I dont remember which oil I used.
    I have a guitar with a Ziricote body I finished with nitro lacqure that looks GREAT!

Please test your finishes before doing your finished fingerboard.

Good Luck
    Jim

Smile Re Ziricote and other imported woods.

Hi all. I lived in Belize, Central America, for 6 years until May '12. Ziricote is a boldly figured very hard wood (like rosewood) that grows in Central American rainforests. It should be quite suitable for fretboards, bridges, backs and sides of guitars, etc.

While talking about tropical woods, there are many different ones that are of useful for one purpose or another, ranging from very hard, like rosewood & ebony, right through to softwoods, like tacote & Spanish cedar.
    I might mention too that Aussie red cedar is in the same family of rainforest trees as American mahogany and Spanish cedar, also the African "mahoganies". I might add that these tropical "cedars" are unrelated to the cedars, e.g. western red cedar of the temperate zone, which are actually conifers (in the pine group).

Re importing woods, I brought back some mahogany and santa maria (a medium hardwood, like Tassie oak) from Belize. I had them inspected by the Govt. Authority (Belize Agricultural Health Authority) before I left, and on arriving in Sydney, I showed the inspection certificate and receipt of the fee that I'd paid to Australian Customs, & they let me through, no worries.