Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Infill envy

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust Maker View Post
    .... If I'd had the same mid life crisis my wife would have left me! or booted me out
    When I had mine, I bought a Porsche. My wife promptly named it the Menoporsche.

Kev, your collection just keeps getting better and better. You must have one of the most comprehensive body of custom planes around!

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Visit www.inthewoodshop.com for tutorials on constructing handtools, handtool reviews, and my trials and tribulations with furniture builds.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by kevjed View Post
    Some of you know that I have a thing for Macassar Ebony. I purchased my first plane from Raney Nelson about 6 months ago. It was a DT2 in African Blackwood. I thought that I'd ask if I could get another, but bigger...hence today the new DT 3 arrived.
    The pictures don't do it justice. The Macassar is stunning and I am so pleased with both of these lovely tools.
    More to come down the track.
    Raney is a good guy, intense, and does very good work.

In fact, all of the "infill guys" making planes have been pretty good folks.

Quote Originally Posted by derekcohen View Post
    When I had mine, I bought a Porsche. My wife promptly named it the Menoporsche.

I met a bloke about 15 years ago who had also bought a Porsche for his mid-life crisis. His justification was that he had the choice of a mistress or a Porsche: The Porsche was much cheaper .

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmiller View Post

I met a bloke about 15 years ago who had also bought a Porsche for his mid-life crisis. His justification was that he had the choice of a mistress or a Porsche: The Porsche was much cheaper .

Regards
    Paul
    Derek
    bet you didn't say that to the wife!
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Thanks for the encouragement folks.
    Derek, a Porsche is on the bucket list too. I can use the planes now, while the kids are young and occupying all my time, the car will come in time after I've sold a few guitars to pay for the tools and the car. I enjoy using the tools.

I must say I am a little envious of the plane collection (ok very envious)

how many more to come?
    and did you consider sending him over a bit of bulloke or something similar to make one or two?
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi

Hey Sawdust Maker,
    Konrad did ask me a few questions about bulloke as he has a customer that is keen to get some planes done.
    When this all started for me, some 9 years ago, I got some most spectacular tools from Terry Gordon & Colen Clenton. Terry then supplied Chris Vesper and Trent Powrie with some matching and almost matching Ebony to make some complementary tools. Over the years all of them have been great in making additional tools as they have come into production. Colen found some more of what he believes is the same tree and has put a little stash away for future tools.
    Raney has 3or 4 heading my way. Also in Macassar Ebony. Konrad has 2 or 3 coming this year in Desert IronWood. Then I'm due to come up on Ron Brese's schedule some time this year too. He has some amazing Macassar too. So the answer to how many more...a few!!!

You might be wondering how I've been able to slip all this past the Mrs? Well, she passed 3 1/2 years ago so rather than mope around, play around or drink myself into a state I just love my kids and over compensate for my lack of adult time with lovely, functional tools that allow me to work quietly at night when the kids sleep.
    As you can see here, they are just user tools. We all know Konrad has some of the best instrument grade timber around. Lucky for me he doesn't mind sharing. This guitar is being built with some lovely Camatillo supplied by Konrad. I'm blessed to have so many of his lovely tools but even more lucky to get some stunning timber from him to build my guitars.
    Kevin
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422607090.569448.jpg

That Camatillo is stunning. I'm also extremely envious of your collection of tools. I think we are all looking forward to the completed family as much as you are.
    Here's a link to Kevs' guitar builds for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. https://www.woodworkforums.com/f98/builds-ooos-12-fret-neck-184903
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

You might be wondering how I've been able to slip all this past the Mrs? Well, she passed 3 1/2 years ago so rather than mope around, play around or drink myself into a state I just love my kids and over compensate for my lack of adult time with lovely, functional tools that allow me to work quietly at night when the kids sleep.
    As you can see here, they are just user tools. We all know Konrad has some of the best instrument grade timber around. Lucky for me he doesn't mind sharing. This guitar is being built with some lovely Camatillo supplied by Konrad. I'm blessed to have so many of his lovely tools but even more lucky to get some stunning timber from him to build my guitars.
    Kevin
    Dammit Kevin: Now my eyes are leaking!

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Hey Sawdust Maker,
    Konrad did ask me a few questions about bulloke as he has a customer that is keen to get some planes done.
    When this all started for me, some 9 years ago, I got some most spectacular tools from Terry Gordon & Colen Clenton. Terry then supplied Chris Vesper and Trent Powrie with some matching and almost matching Ebony to make some complementary tools. Over the years all of them have been great in making additional tools as they have come into production. Colen found some more of what he believes is the same tree and has put a little stash away for future tools.
    Raney has 3or 4 heading my way. Also in Macassar Ebony. Konrad has 2 or 3 coming this year in Desert IronWood. Then I'm due to come up on Ron Brese's schedule some time this year too. He has some amazing Macassar too. So the answer to how many more...a few!!!

Kevin
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422607090.569448.jpg
    Mate

My heartfelt commiserations about your loss
    I'd seen that your 2 year old had 'bumped' the lil plane off the bench and assumed that you had a chancellor/SWMBO/LOML looking over your shoulder, my apologies if I opened a wound.
    Me I'd have had a real bad time with a bottle or two [dozen] of shiraz or single malt or cognac or whatever
    But having a young son and other kids tends to focus one pretty quickly and it's good that you get shed time even if it's after hours
    I'm still jealous of the plane collection and will drool into the keyboard with every purchase, as I have done so with some of the planes you've received so far.

Actually I even more impressed that you are actually using them.

I've looked through the guitar thread - nice work - that's crap - really nice work!
    any updates since sept last year [sorry you no doubt have the xmas school hols issues, as well, so ignore this question]

I'm not even going to think about the matching tools from the Aussie makers.
    I've the odd piece from them and they are nothing short of bloody brilliant
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi

No worries mate. No need to apologise. Such wounds never fully heal over. (My first wife passed almost 12 years ago.)One just needs to get on with things.
    I am busy with two young ones that are active and loving children.
    Shed time is real therapy for me and I sell a few pieces to finance the tools, instruments and camera gear.
    Life is short and we all need to be focusing on the positive, live in the here and now while looking forward to building a future.
    My journey so far has been challenging, rewarding, full of passion and sorrow. I am blessed to have loved and been loved in return.
    It gets easier every day. Happiness comes from within and I see the good all around.
    )

Kevjed
    Spoken perfectly
    And your toys to look at wow

WOW

Looks nice!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast