Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Custom shed recommendations anyone?

Hi all,

I have been demoted from the garage (now my 10yo sons retreat) to his old cubby - 2x2m.

Wanting to build a custom shed up east side of house and was wondering if anyone can recommend where to get a custom shed from??

And Or - if anyone can point me in direction for purchasing materials to build it myself??

It will be around L6 x W1.8 x H2.4, hard up against the east fence. Will put down a concrete slab. Thinking of a oversized door along 6m west wall (sliding or traditional - recommendations??). A couple of clear roofing panels for skylights (corrugated).

Basically it will house one long work bench, but not sure of layout etc.

Most appreciated if anyone has any tips for building this myself (sourcing materials, construction etc) and or can recommend a shed company that can send to me as a custom kit??

Thanks for your time, Regards, Steve

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hello Wands,
    in my first workshop I put three clear panels in the roof for that extra light-all about 1 metre long by one sheet wide. I ended up covering them as the sunlight created three bright blinding spots. They also (more problematic) very quickly heated anything that sat under them. I have large wall windows and plenty of daylight mini flouros in my workshop now.
    If you are going to have a shot at it yourself, check out recyclers for timber. The timber will have done all it's shrinking and usually comes out of larger trees. A power planer, a good power saw, good drill, batten screws with a dab of grease on their tips and off you go. I have been fooling with this stuff for years and the great beauty is if you make a boo boo simply unscrew it and sort it. If you put your slab down first then you have a flat surface to build your stud frames on, one on top of the other, last frame to go up is first one built, if you go that way. I am up in northern NSW so can't help you with recyclers down your way.
    All the best with you new workspace.
    Cheers, Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by wands View Post
    Hi all,

I have been demoted from the garage (now my 10yo sons retreat) to his old cubby - 2x2m.

Wanting to build a custom shed up east side of house and was wondering if anyone can recommend where to get a custom shed from??

And Or - if anyone can point me in direction for purchasing materials to build it myself??

It will be around L6 x W1.8 x H2.4, hard up against the east fence. Will put down a concrete slab. Thinking of a oversized door along 6m west wall (sliding or traditional - recommendations??). A couple of clear roofing panels for skylights (corrugated).

Basically it will house one long work bench, but not sure of layout etc.

Most appreciated if anyone has any tips for building this myself (sourcing materials, construction etc) and or can recommend a shed company that can send to me as a custom kit??

Thanks for your time, Regards, Steve

How far are you from the house? Depending on where you are you will need to manintain a seperation between the boundary and the house to comply with laws regarding Fire Course.

I never recommend sliding doors- they rattle, are thermally inefficient and are almost impossible to vermin proff or dust proof. Better off with a rollerdoor in my opinion.

I'd concur with sentiments on the skylights. They bleed an enormous amount of heat in. I would not have them in any workshop at any cost. I'd be insulating and powering the shed for comfort and light.

I agree about skylights letting a lot of heat in summer but in the other 3 seasons the light is really worth having.
    What I have done on my shed is arrange a triple layer of dense shade cloth to cover the skylight in summer and then I remove it around mid autumn.

Default Thanks for replies

Hi all,

Thanks for your thoughts guys (and or gals).

Tony:
    Great idea with the timber frame etc track, I think this is the way I will go as I obtained a quote for a 6m x 1.8m shed, came out
    more expensive than a 6 x 3m full on garage ($2700 for the kit). Will go for pine bullnose weather boards. Easy to erect, insulate and paint

Banjoping:
    Good point regarding distance from house, will check with council on that one.
    [INDENT]In my council if the shed is 10m squared or less then no permit is required, hense it will actually be just under 6m in length to get me under the 10m /INDENT]

BobL:
    I tend to agree with you Bob on the skylights, especially down here in Melbourne where in summer it is either far too hot or just right.
    We don't tend to get too many days in between.

Thanks again, still more ideas most welcolme and appreciated.

Regards, Steve

For summer shade, you might like to try grapevines. Mine thrive on neglect.
    Cover the afternoon wall of my entire house, trellis is 60cm from the wall.
    Nearly 15m wide and 4+m tall. Rooted 110 cuttings from the spring pruning
    and sold 88 for 2/$5. The leaves are self-removing in the autumn.

Plan B: Get together with a couple of mates and buy a shed.
    Otherwise known as a small house. Village councils get over it fairly quickly.
    This works for artist painters and wood carvers, too.