Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Barn door frame

Default Barn door frame

I'm half way through building a lean to shed ( pics on the way) and the design has changed as it has progressed.

It was originally going to be an open faced wood shed 6m x 2.4m but now I'm going to close in half of it and use it for a garden shed. I'm going to build 2 barn doors about 1.5 x 2.1m each.

Do I need to build a door frame like you would in a house or do I just screw the hinges on to the cypress posts that are concreted into the ground holding the roof up?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Your question must be too hard for everyone.

There is no problem with hinging the doors straight off the posts.

A door frame will help keep the weather out but as you are only closing part of the front, that probably isn't a consideration.

You should have a post on the other end so you can hold the door closed and act as a stop.

They are good size doors and will be pretty heavy.
    Do you have plan for them yet? and what will you make them out of?

You will need some serious hinges. What do you have in mind?
    Scally

Quote Originally Posted by Scally View Post
    Your question must be too hard for everyone.

There is no problem with hinging the doors straight off the posts.

A door frame will help keep the weather out but as you are only closing part of the front, that probably isn't a consideration.

You should have a post on the other end so you can hold the door closed and act as a stop.

They are good size doors and will be pretty heavy.
    Do you have plan for them yet? and what will you make them out of?

You will need some serious hinges. What do you have in mind?
    My plans have changed again and I'm now going to put 2 sets of 2 doors in. I've taken your advice, which was backed up by a plan I saw in a Taunton's shed building book I borrowed from the library, and I won't be putting in a fancy frame.

The doors will be about 1400 x wide by 2000 high. I'm going to make them from 19mm tounge & groove pine which was suggested by the bloke at the timber yard. I'll have the three cross pieces on the back and 2 diagonal.

The timber yard bloke suggested I prime the T & G before I put it together while a mate at work says to not do that but glue the tounge and grooves. I'm tending towards the glue method.

I'm now trying to work out the exact dimensions for the height which will be influenced by the height and type of floor I go with. Since it is only going to house the mowers, chainsaws, garden tools etc it will be either dirt or crushed rock. Which ever way I go I'm going to have to get it all level before the doors go on.

I'll draw the doors up in sketchup and post the drawings along with the pics of the shed which I haven't done yet.