Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default seperate your RCDs if possible

My shed (dreaming on) will have GPOs, overhead lights, NVR safety e-stops circuit for the power circuits, and a few other features unique to my own desires.
    BIGGEST thing I'll be doing is seperating the GFCIs (Earth leakage) between the house and shed - so trips in the shed don't trip the house, and vice-versa/
    I'll be getting a 100mA unit installed in the main incoming supply, then 20mA units (or RCD/MCBs) installed for the shed and house to seperate the faults

The NVR e-stop concept is so I can hit an e-stop (red mushroom button) at any place in the shed and have ALL power points/machines stop. - equally if the power goes out, and then is restored, the machines can't start automatically. This concept is copied from the system at my old high school - and I think it has value in a shed where I plan to teach kids how to use tools. I plan on having those buttons around the room, and will tap one whenever I leave the shed so the kids can't go in whilst I'm away and start things up.

I plan on having a few overhead ceiling fans, and LOTs of switched fluros so I can have lighting where I need it

All I need is those clowns who keep taking money from me to let me keep it long enough to build my shed, and not get charged an arm and leg to enjoy it (power costs, etc)

Des

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by desbromilow View Post
    My shed (dreaming on) will have GPOs, overhead lights, NVR safety e-stops circuit for the power circuits, and a few other features unique to my own desires.
    BIGGEST thing I'll be doing is seperating the GFCIs (Earth leakage) between the house and shed - so trips in the shed don't trip the house, and vice-versa/
    I'll be getting a 100mA unit installed in the main incoming supply, then 20mA units (or RCD/MCBs) installed for the shed and house to seperate the faults

The NVR e-stop concept is so I can hit an e-stop (red mushroom button) at any place in the shed and have ALL power points/machines stop. - equally if the power goes out, and then is restored, the machines can't start automatically. This concept is copied from the system at my old high school - and I think it has value in a shed where I plan to teach kids how to use tools. I plan on having those buttons around the room, and will tap one whenever I leave the shed so the kids can't go in whilst I'm away and start things up.

I plan on having a few overhead ceiling fans, and LOTs of switched fluros so I can have lighting where I need it

All I need is those clowns who keep taking money from me to let me keep it long enough to build my shed, and not get charged an arm and leg to enjoy it (power costs, etc)

Des
    Some good ideas there, only one thing you will need a longer time delay on the upstream (100ma) trip as it will trip at the same time as either of the 20ma units as most earth faults are more than 100ma so you want it to wait a couple of milliseconds to give the 20ma units time to clear the problem.
    Regards
    Hugh

Enough is enough, more than enough is too much.

Des
    Des
    Thanks for the ideas. Hope your dream comes true.

Des
    i don't know whether it is true or not but i was once told that you shouldn't use a fluoro to light machinery (as opposed to provide general lighting) ... the suggestion was that because a fluoro is stroboscopic it can "synch" with, say, a circular saw blade and make the blade appear to be stationary ... sounds plausible enough but i don't vouch fully for its authenticity ... worthy of further investigation anyway

regards david

Quote Originally Posted by A Duke View Post
    Some good ideas there, only one thing you will need a longer time delay on the upstream (100ma) trip as it will trip at the same time as either of the 20ma units as most earth faults are more than 100ma so you want it to wait a couple of milliseconds to give the 20ma units time to clear the problem.
    Regards
    yes - I should have pointed that out - I'll also be having some of the MCBs in the shed as "D" curve (motor start tolerant) for compressors, etc instead of the more common (and less tolerant of high start current) C curve breakers. The D curve circuits will be marked at the GPO for use with suitable loads.

Regarding lights flickering - it is a known fact that incandescents and fluros will have a strobe effect at certain speeds - the only way to get away from it is to use DC powered lights. My dream shed will have a large window on one long wall for natural light, and overhead fluros, but task lighting at machines like lathe/s, mill/s etc will be DC based (LED or halogen) to reduce any strobing effects. I believe it was Sherline who utilised the strobe efect of incandescent bulbs to create a "speed measuring" disc for their lathes

I am saving up for my shed, but between councils who insist on having a say on how I use my land, government agencies who always seem to have their hand out, and pollies who insist "all is well, but we're going to add more costs to your living to prove it"... it's just taking longer than I want. In the meanwhile I keep dreaming, and fill a file with sketches of circuit diagrams, layouts, etc waiting for the big day.

If it were up to me, all citizens with a shed should be able to claim a tax deduction for them - based on the kind of people who have an use sheds tend to be the kind of people who "produce" something of value in society - as opposed to the "consumer" mentality of always taking, and not adding value to the community - but that's my own personal belief.

Des
    Last edited by desbromilow; 29th November 2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: typo and formatting

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123