Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Cost of concrete floor

Hi

Here is a quote for the concrete floor for my new shed. I'd be grateful for your experiences as to whether this seems a reasonable cost. The site is almost flat. The concrete needs to be pumped from the street to the back yard (standard Sydney suburban block).

"6m x 2.75m concrete slab 110mm thick 32mpa concrete with SL72 mesh and supply of pump-$3800 plus GST"

Thanks

Stewart

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

FYI: Mine was 6 x 4 m 100 mm with mesh for $1000 barrowed in by hand 60m down a very narrow side access.

Why do you want 110mm?

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    FYI: Mine was 6 x 4 m 100 mm with mesh for $1000 barrowed in by hand 60m down a very narrow side access.

Why do you want 110mm?
    Thanks, Bob
    Not sure why 110mm is quoted. Maybe that's to allow for the slope. Includes footings and base straps. How long ago was your job done, and did you barrow or did the concretor?

Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by stewart59 View Post
    Thanks, Bob
    Not sure why 110mm is quoted. Maybe that's to allow for the slope. Includes footings and base straps. How long ago was your job done, and did you barrow or did the concretor?

Stewart
    12 months ago and they barrowed it in. Admittedly slope was downhill about one metre.

Price sounds excessive . Pump hire is expensive, if you can avoid it do so - depending on footings, you only have a couple of cube to barrow in. As for price, if it's much over $85 a square meter for a concreter to do then there's something wrong.

A normal house slab or driveway will use 20 to 25mpa, 32mpa is high strength used where greater loads are involved. It uses more cement in the mix, which adds to the cost. I'd only do it if you were planning to polish the concrete floor, not something you want in a workshop. I think you'd be better off with 25mpa and upping the mesh to F82.

Default concrete cost

Thanks for comments. I remember now that he said he would use stronger concrete because there are two large tree stumps which will be ground out to 100-200mm below the surface where the concrete will be poured. These will eventually rot though, and the stronger concrete won't then crack.

Not sure if that's enough to account for the price, though.

Stewart

32MPa is higher density and strength, and more water resistant so they probably don't need to put it on plastic sheeting.
    My house floor is 30yo 20MPa on plastic and gets salt blooms as soon as the soil gets wet. My barn 8yo 32MPa without plastic and never blooms, even when there is water 50mm up the side.

I would stick with the 32MPa if you can, particularly with the stumps underneath. If possible try to organise a barrow team (3 or 4 mates/family etc) to work with the contractor and avoid the pump. You are only dealing with a couple of metres of concrete, hardly worthwhile setting up the pump, cleaning and packing up afterwards for the volume involved, but the contractor would sting you to bring in a team of his own.

My barn floor is 16 x 12 x 150mm with a load of 600 dia x 600 deep footings for the uprights, a 4m x 5mm section at 200mm deep for a hoist pad, and a 3.5m square 100mm tank pad at the back. That was $9,500 mates rates pumped almost nine years ago, but there is a hell of a lot more in it that in yours.

Thanks for comments so far
    Stewart

Always get 3 quotes, never take the lowest
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by stewart59 View Post
    Hi

Here is a quote for the concrete floor for my new shed. I'd be grateful for your experiences as to whether this seems a reasonable cost. The site is almost flat. The concrete needs to be pumped from the street to the back yard (standard Sydney suburban block).

"6m x 2.75m concrete slab 110mm thick 32mpa concrete with SL72 mesh and supply of pump-$3800 plus GST"

Thanks

Stewart
    It appears a bit expensive but if you break it up you can see the approximate make up

Using rough and round numbers

$300 for concrete
    $200 for reo
    $100 for other - plastic, chairs etc

$500 labour - one day to set up / form etc

$750 Concrete pump (min 4 hours) and possibly higher

$750 labour for pour and screed/float

$400 labour to recover formwork and tidy up (ha ha)

Labour is usually costed at half day or full day. Very hard to schedule small jobs

Best advice was to get a couple of more quotes (and if you can some references / referrals)

Thanks. That's very helpful.

Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by The Hun View Post
    It appears a bit expensive but if you break it up you can see the approximate make up

Using rough and round numbers

$300 for concrete
    $200 for reo
    $100 for other - plastic, chairs etc

$500 labour - one day to set up / form etc

$750 Concrete pump (min 4 hours) and possibly higher

$750 labour for pour and screed/float

$400 labour to recover formwork and tidy up (ha ha)

Labour is usually costed at half day or full day. Very hard to schedule small jobs

Best advice was to get a couple of more quotes (and if you can some references / referrals)