Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default I need help with bending sides

I am making my first guitar on a very tight budget. To bend the sides I have been using a cloths steam iron and some forms I made in the shape of the bends. I have been havings some problems. So I was hoping there was someone in that Adelaide area (I am in the hills but will tarvel anyhee in the Adelaide region) that will let me come to their worksop and hire their bending iron so that I can dend my sides properly.

Thank you

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by gordo_burns View Post
    I am making my first guitar on a very tight budget. To bend the sides I have been using a cloths steam iron and some forms I made in the shape of the bends. I have been havings some problems. So I was hoping there was someone in that Adelaide area (I am in the hills but will tarvel anyhee in the Adelaide region) that will let me come to their worksop and hire their bending iron so that I can dend my sides properly.

Thank you
    Gordon,

Ditch the cloths iron......it's the totally wrong shape for bending sides for a start. You need either a commercial bending iron or you need to make up your own iron using a piece of pipe and suitable heat source. The advantage of a commercial iron is it has a large mass which means its less susceptible to temperature fluctuations than a home made iron.

Im away from my shop at the moment so using my bending iron unfortunately isnt an option.

If you're on a tight budget then building a home made bending iron would be the go...there are plenty of variations on this and plenty of net resources.

A few comments on bending:

1. make sure wood is not too thick. Use a thin metal slat on outside of bend to reduce risk of splitting...especially when doing tight bends.
    2. make sure iron is hot enough. Water sprayed on the iron should immediately turn into bouncing beads.
    2. do a practise run with scrap wood before attacking the real thing.
    3. bend waist bout first and then upper and lower bouts.
    4. watch out for woods such as Blackwood that are high in tannins.....heat and moisture will result in staining.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Hi Kiwibeo

Thanks for the reply and the advice. I am om a pensrion and can not afford to buy a proper bending iron for a one of guitar. I did think about trying to make one, but I have not found any easy ideas as yet.

I am making a guitar just for myown use, and have not wanted to go to a lot of expense in buying too many tools. That has been a big part of my problem trying to do something without proper equipment. But any how it has been keeping me occuped trying to work out how to get aroung things.

Hi Kiwigeo

Thanks for the reply and advice. Being on a pension I have not wanted to spend to much money on tools for a one of project. I am building this guitar for my own enjoyment. I had thought about making a dending iron but have not found any economocal way of doing so.

It has been a chalange for me not having correct tools of trade but it has kept me occupied tring to find ways to get around things. I have been able to bend the wood (with some problem) but I can not get the small bend I want for a cuttaway that is why I was hoping some one would let me hire their bending iron to that I could try to get the bends I need.