Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default DIY Kitchen and Floating Floor

I am currently planning to build a new kitchen and incorporate floating floors. Which do I do first??

I understand that a DIY kitchen should be installed first and then the floating floor so the weight of the kitchen is on the slab rather than the timber floor. But I would also like to avoid the quarter round at the join between both, therefore trying to put the floor under the benches prior to installing the kickers. What about pantry units and panels. To build the kitchen I need to install a pantry and end panels. These items sit on the floor rather than on adjustable legs.

How do I resolve this issue??

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

raise the cabinets off the floor by screwing blocks of timber to the underside of the tall cabinets the same height as the kick board and add the height of the floating floor so that the floor goes under the kickboard,as for the kitchen this can also be done or simply dont put the kick faces on until after you have layed the floor
    kind regards
    tom armstrong
    www.kitcheninabox.com.au
    Flat Packed kitchens to the world

So the kitchen goes in @ say 150 kicker height, then the floor. If the floor is 12mm then I need to purchase kickers of 138mm or cut on site to adjust for the new kicker height?

It seems simple for the normal carcasses on legs but what about eg a pantry and associated panels. They should therefore be blocked up by 12mm then joined to other cupboards. The blocks are then removed and the floor worked underneath. Does this sound right??

if the floor cabinets come on plastic adjustable legs then it is reasonable to assume that the pantry will come on adjustable legs,i wouldnt cut the kickboard faces down i would increase the height by the thickness of the new floor plus a couple of mill,then fit the kickboards over the floorboards ,the applied panels should be fixed to the cabinets not on legs (if this is the case)then blocks will be screwed to the underside then restand the pantry anf fit the floor under neath
    kind regards
    tom armstrong
    www.kitcheninabox.com.au

Arms, as you can see I am a novice but wanting to try. I appreciate your help.

The pantry I am considering is a corner (WI) pantry and therefore has no legs. It would also require an end panel on each side.

I considered just raising the legs to accommodate the floor thickness but was concerned that there may not be enough play in the leg ie 150 mm leg may go from 135-165mm. To raise by the floor thickness eg 12-13mm + 2mm is 165mm. This does not give much flexibility for the leg to do its job - level.

Sorry it is taking me a bit to get this but better now then when the cabinets arrive! Can you recommend any other issues I may need to get clear now? Can you refer me to detailed documentation?

Thanks

as it is a corner pantry i would screw wood screws into the bottom of the gables and backs and simply either screw them in or out as the case may need,this will give you about a 7mm ledge to fit the floor under, just be careful when you move it around on the floor ,i usually loose screw the pantry together then fit it level then finish fitting shelves and tops after it is level ,the plastic legs i use go out to 180mm so there shouldnt be a problem with that really as they are much the same through the industry,just as a help go here http://www.armstrongcabinets.com.au/installation.htm
    kind regards
    tom armstrong
    www.kitcheninabox.com.au

Arms

Thanks for your help, I think I have it...for now.