Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post

Nice box for offcuts. I store mine in a high efficiency access pile (aka heap) . Should organise it one day...

Trav
    Hey Trav,

I had my "organised" pile of offcuts up against the wall for a long time until i noticed some 8 legged friends starting to move in. I needed / wanted to get in behind and under to clean it all and since i came into a wealth of MDF and chipboard i decided to take on a Woodsmith plan and build that box on wheels. Just makes it much easier for me to roll it around the shop when im cleaning it all out

Im planning on picking up a Shop vac next chance i can. The 2HP dust extractor should be here in the new year, hopefully that size motor is sufficient for my machines

Are you a member of the local wood workers guild at all Trav?

Nathan
    Last edited by delbs; 23rd December 2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: mistake

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I like the out feed router table - seems like a great idea. How did you make the router fence?

Trav
    In the earlier reply I said that the table was made from 18mm MDF. When I checked, I realised that I had glued 2 sheets together making 36mm.

A few photos with a bit of explanation on the fence build. You may notice that there is a blank insert in the table. I use this when I don't need the router in there, but still want to use it for outfeeding.
    Router_table_01.jpg
    The fence is made from 18mm MDF. I first made the "L" shape by just butting the front up against the base and clamping them together ensuring they are kept square while drying. The movable sections have a 45 deg chamfer on the inner ends to give clearance on the router bit so that they can be pushed in close to the bit. I used 1/4" coach bolts to hold them in place, as the square section under the head stops them from turning in the slot.
    Router_table_02.jpg Router_table_07.jpg
    After the base and front glueup had dried, I made up some bracing to go at the back. Again these need to be accurate to keep everything square. A hole about 60mm dia was bored through the base and the the front face to create a semi circle in both for dust extraction and bit clearance. The housing for the duct extraction hose is some 3mm MDF and a fitting to suit your hose. Wingnuts and washers are used on the back of the coach bolts.

I recently brought a new Tablesaw and needed to refit the table to it. On my old saw it was a fairly permanent fixture which made it difficult to move the saw around.
    This time I wanted to be able to utilize the mobile base on the saw, so I modified the table to allow it to be folded up.
    I have now made the legs removable and this allows the table to sit flat against the saw and totally movable. I needed to also make the hinge points pivot so that it would sit flat against the saw.
    The leg support just locates onto 2 steel dowels which are glued into the underside of the table.
    Router_table_03.jpgRouter_table_05.jpgRouter_table_06.jpg

Hope this helps.
    Dallas

Great start on the shed.

Thumbs up

Looking really good.!!

Default Updated Begginers workshop

Hey all, so its now been a few months since purchasing the tools so i thought i would update with a few pics. I have made a stable base for the table saw with an outfeed table which i have moved into the center of the workshop so i have room to cut large sheets. Also the 6" jointer sits next to it since i have run power through the rafters hanging down instead of cables on the floor running to the wall.

I have build a temporary little table for my GMC router table. This is until my new Triton router is purchased and my triton table is setup (see on small shelf under table). just recently my very generous father in law gave me a brand new unused Sherwood dovetail jig which i have placed next to the router top.

I will be moving the all the router gear off that table when my Bosch GCM 12 GDL shows up in Feb

Have added power rail to the front of the work bench and have hung new tools on the wall along with more woodworking books in the shelving

One thing i am working on big time is shop layout so it makes my usage of these tools more effecient or easier so any feedback is much appreciated on how other people have things setup. I am still working on dust extraction unit. Just reading reviews on which units are decent so that is TBC

Delbs

20130125_223740.jpg20130125_223803.jpg20130125_223808.jpg20130125_223814.jpg20130125_223834.jpg

I could wheel round that shed and still have room to move.

Default Re: Begginers workshop

its 6M wide x 8 m long its a good space

Default Begginers workshop

Delbs - looks like you are making some good progress. The outfield table for the table saw looks like it will make a massive improvement to the table saw. Well done. Perhaps think about routing some additional mitre slots so that you can use a crosscut sled and other things on your table saw. I'd also think about running a single timber strip between the fences to make sure they aren't out of alignment. If you found the outfield table fence was even a few mm out in the middle of a cut, you may need to change your pants!

Re-reading your earlier posts, you'd asked for feedback on the keg router table, though it seems like you have moved on to a triton router table. I ended up with a woodpeckers router plate which I much prefer to the triton (which I could never get flat). Triton router is great though.

Dust extraction is a really good idea, though I'm far from getting it right. I've got a 2hp carbatec dusty and I shuffle ducting around to each machine. High on my priority list is to set up fixed ducting so that I don't have any excuse not to use it.

I'm not a member of the woodcraft guild, though I've been thinking of joining. I've also been thinking of arranging a forum get together for Canberran members of this forum. At some stage...

Finally, where did you get your Bosch scms from? I'm due to upgrade my crappy gmc banshee at some stage, and the Bosch looks pretty good.

Trav

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen

Delbs - looks like you are making some good progress. The outfield table for the table saw looks like it will make a massive improvement to the table saw. Well done. Perhaps think about routing some additional mitre slots so that you can use a crosscut sled and other things on your table saw. I'd also think about running a single timber strip between the fences to make sure they aren't out of alignment. If you found the outfield table fence was even a few mm out in the middle of a cut, you may need to change your pants!

Re-reading your earlier posts, you'd asked for feedback on the keg router table, though it seems like you have moved on to a triton router table. I ended up with a woodpeckers router plate which I much prefer to the triton (which I could never get flat). Triton router is great though.

Dust extraction is a really good idea, though I'm far from getting it right. I've got a 2hp carbatec dusty and I shuffle ducting around to each machine. High on my priority list is to set up fixed ducting so that I don't have any excuse not to use it.

I'm not a member of the woodcraft guild, though I've been thinking of joining. I've also been thinking of arranging a forum get together for Canberran members of this forum. At some stage...

Finally, where did you get your Bosch scms from? I'm due to upgrade my crappy gmc banshee at some stage, and the Bosch looks pretty good.

Trav

Hey Trav,

Thanks for the feedback, I use my crosscut sled at the moment with the new outfeed table and its fine for now. The table is 1cm below the height of the table saw so it slips right onto it. What do you mean by adding a bit of timber between the fences to make sure theyre aligned? where the outfeed table and rear fence of the saw meet?

Yeah a while ago i was interested in the Kreg router table but i couldnt find a suitable router and lift kit to go with it. Since i came across a 2nd hand triton router table i figured i would get the TRA001 to see how it works out

Well i would be keen to come along if you wanted to organise something for canberran woodworkers here on the forum, I met Evanism a few weeks ago, top guy im sure we could organise something

Im getting it from Sydney tools as they are throwing in 3 blades and a workshop stand for $1150, where as other stores have it not far from that price with justthe unit alone

Well i got home this afternoon to see the floor of the garage flooded and water leaked through the roof onto the outfeedtable and table saw, luckily the TS is still in working order and no damage was done but just a crap tonne of water to soak up covering the whole garage floor. Need to fix the small gaps where the water is getting in.. then again i dont think anything could have stopped the water coming in in the storms we had today

Sorry, I didn't realise the outfield table was below the table saw height. Usually they are the same, with trenches cut into the offered table to accommodate any jigs that run in the mitre tracks. The woodwhisperer has a good one that shows what I mean. I'll see if I can find a link for you.

I terms of the fence, looking at the photos it looks like you have a fence on your outfeed table. I would be worried if you could move that fence independently of the front fence. If it was accidentally set narrower than the front fence, you could jam the timber and cause kickback. That's when you need to change pants!

Hope the flooding is sorted out. We had some water running under our house, but not too bad. I do need to get the drainage sorted out though...

Trav

Here's the link I mentioned for an outfeed table. Well worth a look.

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/vide...marcs-projects

Trav

Sorry, I didn't realise the outfield table was below the table saw height. Usually they are the same, with trenches cut into the offered table to accommodate any jigs that run in the mitre tracks. The woodwhisperer has a good one that shows what I mean. I'll see if I can find a link for you.

I terms of the fence, looking at the photos it looks like you have a fence on your outfeed table. I would be worried if you could move that fence independently of the front fence. If it was accidentally set narrower than the front fence, you could jam the timber and cause kickback. That's when you need to change pants!

Hope the flooding is sorted out. We had some water running under our house, but not too bad. I do need to get the drainage sorted out though...

Trav

Ah right it does look like a fence but that is timber im prepping on the jointer just sitting on the outfeed table All good yeah it does look like the same height as table saw but the plywood i am using was thin so i just lowered it a cm instead of making trenches/dados

Yeah slab is all dry today and back to work accepting copious amounts of saw dust to be gathered on

Thanks for the link, let me know if you want to meet up to chat. you can come and check out the workshop sometime if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by delbs View Post
    Ah right it does look like a fence but that is timber im prepping on the jointer just sitting on the outfeed table .....
    The case when I photo tells a 1000 words but the story might be a little different.

Default Updated Beginners workshop

So thought id throw up some photos of how the shed has been coming together since i permanently booted out the car! It has filled up with Wood and benches and a few machines. Still more machines to come like Dust extraction and a bandsaw but i am taking my time to research all i can about Laguna BS (Thanks to the reviews on the forum) so that would be around Aug this year.

Have made an assembly area next to the router table that just houses all of my bits and accessories to the Gifkins jig and everything else router related. Picked up a 66bit MLCS router bits too which are great, they are hanging on the outisde of the cupboard in their own case.

Made some shelving for the main workbench just out of some 25mm chipboard but its edged so it makes it ok at the moment for me to live with. I built this for a place for all my planes to live. As you can see there are actual shavings on the floor I have managed to remove the rust from the 2nd hand planes and sharpen the blades to put them back to work

PHOTO_20130609_212828.jpgPHOTO_20130609_212947.jpgPHOTO_20130609_212940.jpgPHOTO_20130609_212928.jpgPHOTO_20130609_212920.jpgPHOTO_20130609_212906.jpgPHOTO_20130609_212900.jpgPHOTO_20130609_212845.jpgPHOTO_20130609_212832.jpgPHOTO_20130609_212954.jpg

Have accumulated a bit of timber in the corner which i am making my way through, putting that thicknesser to good use and cutting down what i can to make boxes and cabinets.

oh also added a beer fridge in the back also helps on those cold nights

I'm a bit concerned that your beer fridge is too small. You may need to get a bigger one to ensure you don't run out of coldies...

The shed is looking amazing. You have some serious space in there. And I though I had lots of room! You've got plenty of height, which I am deeply lacking.

Your wood stash seems to be pretty sizeable now, perhaps think about some racking to store it. I've got some triton wood racks and they seem pretty good value. Ad they often seem to be on grays auctions for cheap, so you could get 3 or 4 sets to give you a long wall of racking.

What's the computer for? Ie shifted an old laptop to my workshop to stream spotify etc which works really well. The trick is keeping the dust and crap off it.

Cheers

Trav

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast