Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Begginers workshop

Hey everyone, just wanted to post a few new toys i was lucky enough to come by recently.

Earlier this year my wife and i moved into a house with a fantastic sized double garage (Part the reason to why i loved the house and wanted it so much) separate from the house. Since i have made progress on un-packing everything i have had some spare time to build my first bench from materials i already had and free materials i have picked up off the net.

The bench is a place for me to store my wood working tools hanging up and for me to do some general things, i am still planning on building a specific Les miller bench for the middle of the garage specific to wood working which will have dogs and end vices installed The bench in the photo is my first attempt to i am open to constructive criticism .

I just wanted to get something really solid that i could whack and do whatever on and know in the back of my mind it wasn't about to crumble and so far it achieves that so i'm happy.

A good friend of mine just so happen to pick up a new 3 in 1 Hammer and Felder machine which to my advantage made his 3 existing workshop tools redundant We exchanged some common currency and now i have the following addition to my workshop. I believe as im just starting out this is a fantastic entry into the woodworking scene. Please tell me if you have any thoughts or opinions about my tools below

1. Carbatec deluxe 6" Jointer
    2. Dewalt DW734 thicknesser
    3 Metabo TS 250 Table saw

Aside from the 2nd hand planes and other power hand held tools i have this is my first investment into proper wood working tools.

They are in great condition as my friend always took care of his stuff and threw in a bunch of accessories. I dont work in a trade at all so i find this style of work really satisfying as i can see my progress straight away, i can predict i will be spending EVEN more time in "the shed"

Anyway i dont have a real point to this post but just to show the bench i made for $70 and my first setup of my workshop and open it up for discussions & ideas on what i can do next. My biggest problem at the moment is workshop arrangement lol making good use of the space so all the tools can be setup on the floor correctly
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DJ’s Timber; 20th December 2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Rotate images

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

That's a great space and a great start. Look forward to seeing what you'll make now that you've got a shop.

Enjoy!

Well done on the new workshop plenty room to move ATM but I'd limit the things with wheels n seats and such otherwise it'll end up just storage an no room to work.

Bench looks great plenty storage under, I'd make boxes or use some big tubs to store more and keep power tools out of site.

Those 3 new additions not going to be much use to you they have laid down on the job a good score there.

A bandsaw, lathe and dusty would go well maybe Santa might deliver.

Looks like you got a good workshop space But it is way too clean at the moment!

That's a nice start there. Great pickup with the machines from your mate. It is amazing how much good wood can be obtained out of what appears to be junk with a Tablesaw, Thicknesser and Jointer. You might find the saw a bit light if you get into heavy work later on, but hey, at least you have got one which is a very important tool in any workshop, and it's a quality brand.
    I had my workbench open at the start, and then enclosed one end and put doors on to keep the tools relatively dust free.
    You will think you have got a huge space at the moment, but it is amazing how quickly you can fill that space once you get into the jobs, and think you need all those extra tools and machines. Always good to have machines on mobile bases so it is easy to move them into a good position for use, or out of the way when not required.
    Now you have got started and have some good equipment, you will find it hard to stay out of there. I know I do.
    Dallas

This is the first thing aside from the bench i have made. Something to try and sort out my off cuts and all on caster wheels with locks on them. Next thing is to dress and use all that orgeon on the left of the box for some shelving Cant wait

Yeah i pretty much live in there at the moment, i was thinking of boxing in the underside of the bench and making some doors for it. I recently got a pile of MDF and chipboard so think my next project is already in progress

I have intentions of picking up a drill press and band saw also sometime in the future so i will keep you posted.

thanks for the feedback!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DJ’s Timber; 20th December 2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Rotate image

Just getting a sore neck from looking at all those photos that have layed down and gone to sleep.
    Dallas

Haha sorry about that i forgot to rotate them. Will keep that in mind for next photo upload

Congrats on the progress.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    A bandsaw, lathe and dusty would go well maybe Santa might deliver.
    With three serious dust makers on your shed floor already I'd be moving dust extraction to the top of the list and also if possible thinking about locating the DC outside.

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    Congrats on the progress.

With three serious dust makers on your shed floor already I'd be moving dust extraction to the top of the list and also if possible thinking about locating the DC outside.

I already have a 2HP dust extractor on the way. This should suffice for now but as i accumulate more tools i'm sure i will need an additional one. As long as my power circuit can handle it

I see the machines have sobbered up and are now upright.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinround View Post
    I see the machines have sobbered up and are now upright.

Yes thanks to a handy sys admin here on the forum. I was taking a look at those Kreg router tables. I think by purchasing my own kreg router insert i could make my own table and fence etc with a track system. Anyone completed something like this at all? Or is it really worth dishing out that much more on a prefab Kreg router table?

I made up my own Router table and it attaches to my Table Saw to double as an outfeed table. It is just a Pine frame under an 18mm MDF top. I made up the fence which has sliding faces and can be adjusted to give tight clearance around the router bit. It had dust extraction built in, and is simply clamped to the table using Quick Grip clamps. I found some leftover 10mm Polycarbonate sheet at work which I sunk into the table top and fixed the Router to it.
    I don't have any tee tracks in it, but maybe one day I will install some. Does all I need it to do at the moment.

Router_table_001.jpg Router_table_002.jpg
    Dallas

Great idea! to double as an outfeed table and a router table. i like it!

Hi Tree. Another Canberran - I like it. Great start to setting up a workshop. Just make sure the space isn't wasted by allowing cars into the garage!

I like the out feed router table - seems like a great idea. How did you make the router fence?

As Bob said, getting some dust extraction is the next step. That will define where all your machines live (unless you move them around). A shop vac is also worthwhile, especially if you connect it to a cyclone or similar.

Nice box for offcuts. I store mine in a high efficiency access pile (aka heap) . Should organise it one day...

Trav
    Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast