Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Triton Router Bit Set Question

When it comes to routers and router bits I have zero experience.
    Anyway, I went and purchased a Triton router and all the trimmings including the "Triton Pro-Kit" router bit set.

Each router bit looks like it was dipped in a bucket of that stuff that comes out of a hot glue gun (I guess to protect the bits during transport). The
    bearings on the bits are well and truely locked up in the "hot glue gunk" (I just love these technical terms).

So, do I have to remove the "hot glue gunk" before using the bits and if so
    how?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Twist it off with your fingers. Just be sure to be careful near the sharp cutters.

Andy don't forget to apply a drop of light oil to the bearings from time to time. I do so after each use and wipe them dry before each use so as not to get oil on the timber I am shaping.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyGuy
    So, do I have to remove the "hot glue gunk" before using the bits and if so
    how?
    Sleepy Guy,

Welcome to the forum. Congrats with your router purchase. Be very careful with the router, it is an extremely dangerous tool if used incorrectly. Never start the tool when the bit is touching timber - first start, then apply to timber. Read all about using routers before you start, but be careful. Always use with both hands, it is not a tool for one hand operation.

Removing the protective layer from new router bits - I use one of those sharp Stanley utility knives to carefully make a cut into that stuff, then put the knife down and the rest can be removed very easily by pulling it off with your fingers. Be careful near the cutter or you will cut your finger.

Regards
    Johan

Quote Originally Posted by DPB
    Andy don't forget to apply a drop of light oil to the bearings from time to time.
    DPB, very valid to mention that router bit bearings should be lubricated. What would be the correct lubrication for them? Most bearings I know are packed with grease. Are these tiny bearings on router bits also packed with grease?
    Johan

Thanks for all the help folks.

I started to assemble my router table stand. The first thing I did was check the box contents against the parts list. Well I got a surprise, one of the stand side panels was missing. What a pain!

Well when I call Triton on Monday I hope they turn out to be as helpful as you folks.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyGuy
    When it comes to routers and router bits I have zero experience.
    Anyway, I went and purchased a Triton router and all the trimmings including the "Triton Pro-Kit" router bit set.
    For a start - Goto this site and start reading. http://www.tocact.org.au/routers.html

Johan

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Johan
    DPB, very valid to mention that router bit bearings should be lubricated. What would be the correct lubrication for them? Most bearings I know are packed with grease. Are these tiny bearings on router bits also packed with grease?
    Johan
    The oil that I use is Singer Sewing Machine Oil.