Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I_wanna_Shed is offline Now I've got a 6x7m shed! I need a new name...

Well, after around 50 hours, the shed clean out and organisation is just about DONE!

My timber (which was laying all around the shed) is stored under the carport until I build a skillion between the shed and the fence to store it all, and I've got a bit of work left to do.

First pic is a general before and after. The Bondall Garage and Factory Floor Protector is great. HEAPS easier to sweep up now. For the general layout, I moved the lathe against a wall and got rid of a low long cupboard to free up heaps of space in the middle of the shed. I then put all my 'timber break down' machines down the middle. It seems to look good and appears it will be functional (hopefully!).

Second pic shows the insulation and plywood lining I decided to start right at the last minute. Only did one quarter due to time and money, will do the rest later on. I'll leave it unpainted, and paint it white behind the lathe and workbench to reflect light (all other sides will be covered by shelves etc).

Third pic is the next wall I will line, especially to help contain the dust and chips from the lathe. Turning tools and related stuff will go onto the wall behind the lathe.

Fourth pic shows the two walls where the wobbly workbench was. I will build a new workbench where that table is. I'll then put drawers or shelves above that cupboard on the back wall.

Fifth pic is the shelving I bought. Also, I will get a base with castors (the type that has the castors lift up to set the base down on its feet) for the thicknesser to make it easy to move out when I need it. I also bought some ply to make a stand for the saw, which will also wheel out and have extendible wings.

So what's next? Insulate and line remaining walls, build workbench, build timber storage, move dust extractor outside, bring the remaining 'odds and ends' back into workshop, use the workshop and keep it clean! I'm really happy with how it has turned out. Everything is now clean again, and I've learnt that no matter how many 'just one cuts' I do, I will always take the effort to hook up the dust extraction......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (207.2 KB, 101 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (143.8 KB, 93 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (187.5 KB, 92 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (168.9 KB, 90 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (191.7 KB, 90 views)

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by stevepay View Post
    Hello Nathan,

Nice looking shed there,should be fun when finished.

Just a thought regarding an alternative lining for your shed, I was going to use plywood as well and then paint the walls white or paint and then install the sheets... probably easier however I decided to try something different.

I used sheets of colourbond in white, or whatever the colourbond colour for white was... stood on end the effect was quite hard wearing and at 23$ a sheet (2.4m H) that fit exactly to my shed height the walls went up very quickly and no problems with white ants or any issues with sparks. I used a roll of insulation between the wall and the sheeting which helped the noise and temperature.

Just my 2C

Steve
    Thanks Steve. I'd already bought some ply before I read your post. Since most walls will be covered by shelving or something, I will only paint the right side wall (behind the workbench and lathe).

Nathan.

Nathan you have been very busy it looks and I bet feels like new which will inspire you I am sure. Its a WiP as are all our shed's/workshops/play areas.

Now whens the grand opening now the hard works done.

shed looks great. got any info on that shelving you bought?

Quote Originally Posted by vincentvega View Post
    shed looks great. got any info on that shelving you bought?
    Hi,

Its the 'Horizon' storage system (http://www.handy-storage.com.au/prod...-shelving.html).

Available from Bunnings. Easy to put together and seem pretty robust.

Great work.
    You shed looks much easier to work in and move around.

Once you get the mobile bases fitted you will find it quick and easy to roll machines out to use them.

The shed will be much more enjoyable to use now with the makeover.
    Scally

It does look very clean and organised but I know that will change as you will modify some aspects as you go along.

Exactly Christos. I need to get back in there before life takes over again!

Speaking of the need to keep it organised, during the cleanup I found 4 safety glasses and 17 pencils. Previously I kept losing 1 pair of glasses, and could never find a pencil.

Great piece of work.

I only see one problem - no sawdust
    Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can? -- Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by I_wanna_Shed View Post
    .... during the cleanup I found 4 safety glasses and 17 pencils....
    Hang the safety glasses on a couple of walls in the shed that why you are more likely to use them and put them back on the wall. As to the pencils attaching magnets do help. I will get round to doing this as well.

Looks good ! - what about dust extraction?

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    Looks good ! - what about dust extraction?
    Thanks Bob. I have a 1hp Carbatec dusty at the moment, which, I didn't use as often as I should.

My next main thing is to come up to standard with dust extraction before buying more tools. I've been reading many of your responses and building a big encyclopaedia of things to read later on.

I haven't had much time to think about the shed after going back to work this week, but as the original pics show, it needs to be done properly!

Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by Christos View Post
    Hang the safety glasses on a couple of walls in the shed that why you are more likely to use them and put them back on the wall. As to the pencils attaching magnets do help. I will get round to doing this as well.
    My wife suggested using the 'pencils on string' like in a bank, and hanging them on the wall every 1 metre. I did actually give it a second's thought......

Paint with fluro colours Nathan or make yourself a workshop pencil nice bright acrylic.

Nathan

great job and well done with discovering the blackhole pencils go to. Did you find any of mine?

Re safety glasses, I try and hang them on or near the power switch for each machine - but they still walk

Oh and I'd get rid of the triton and buy a table saw - best thing I ever did - lots more accurate and less noisy
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast